Tankerville Arms
Victoria Hotel(Bamburgh)
US$182
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfrench roomthe pubattention to detailhuge bedgold roomincluding breakfastbeer gardenprivate bathroomsewing kitthree roomsexclusive usesky tvlovely atmospheredvd playera real gemold friendshome from home
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were looking for somewhere to stay near the Northumberland coast with 2 dogs. All the establishments in bambrough were full so we choose Tankerville arms as it was close enough to the coast and they accepted dogs. We like to stay in “nice places”, but at the same type we are certainly not restaurant critics or hotel inspectors.
I am still baffled how some of the reviews here haven’t been kind.
We have stayed in many B&B’S and this must be one of the best.
We got a lovely greeting from George the owner the moment we got to Tankerville arms and told that the room was ready although we got there quite a bit earlier than the check in time.
As we were new to the area he gave us plenty of ideas on where to go with our dogs and so we went to the beach. Bambrough is a short drive away and when we got there we were actually happy that we didn’t stay there as it was way too busy for our liking.
Beach itself was beautiful and ideal to exercise the dogs.
Once we had walked for hours we returned to Tankerville arms and wet were told that we could eat with the dogs in the bar area if we wanted to.
This is something that we really appreciate when travelling with the dogs. In my opinion there is nothing better than to enjoy your meal and have your tired, but happy dog sleeping under the table!

Our room was stunning and had much more space than we expected.
There were some great small touches such as PUKKA tea, nice shampoo and conditioner, magazines and brouchers of the area to read and finally the bed was super comfy.
Needless to say it was spotlessly clean.

We ate full 3 courses in the bar area and we both thought that food was really tasty. Our tuna pate starter was lovely and there was plenty of it. My main course of stuffed peppers was also very good and my partners steak and ale pie hearty and tasty.
After the good night sleep ( you can hear a little bit of noise from downstairs in the pub, but it didn’t stop us sleeping well!see comfy bed!) we went for the breakfast and we had the same table at the bar so that we were able to bring the dogs with us.
It was one of the best breakfasts I have had. Granary bread, fresh berries and choice of full English or whatever you liked from the menu. I had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and it was so nice flushed down with a perfect pot of coffee.
Dogs were also given a cooked sausage each, which they very much appreciated!
All there is left to say is THANK YOU, we certainly loved every minute of our stay and hope to some and see you again!

Room Tip: Suite was beautifully decorated and big and spacious!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mariak1234
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I visited this restaurant for a seven person, three generation family reunion. We had booked and a table was ready when we arrived. We ordered some drinks and food, the latter took quite some time to arrive. The tuna pate was excellent, served with a small amount of chopped chilli in it ( I think) and a very tasty chutney. A starter of spring rolls included one that was burnt; both the main course salmon portions were dry and burnt, sent back and replaced with generous portions of smoked salmon. My grandson had sirloin steak, cooked as requested but which could not be cut, easily, even with a steak knife. Apart from some coldish roast potatoes and a salad for the rejected salmon courses there was no evidence of any other vegetables.

My excellent Steak and Ale pie was described as having "Buttery mash and braised leeks" which consisted of a tiny square porcelain container, with a table spoon of mash and a portion of cut green leaves, possibly cabbage. I think the owner was not on the premises at the time but came in to do his best with a pretty dire situation. We were not charged for the food sent back, obviously, but there was no further compensation for a deeply disappointing experience. I think that the kitchen was having an "Off" night. The good reviews are doubtless representative of the normal standards but we thought ourselves unlucky and the best was made a very poor situation

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Perkypenguin1939
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Pub and restaurant have a good relaxing atmosphere, nicely decorated country pub environment, looking clean and we'll kept. Staff friendly and owner very hospitable. Had steak very nicely cooked exactly how I ordered it with chunky chips and salad, plenty to fill me up and nicely presented. My wife had salmon which was perfect, really enjoyed it. All real ales was well kept and tasted fresh, well worth a visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank PipWorcestershire
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had dinner in the restaurant recently. The service was good and staff friendly. Starters were fine but the main courses were a little disappointing. My husband had the steak pie which was very nice but served with a very small dish of mash and nothing else. I had the sticky chicken which came on a small bed of rice but the summer vegetables turned out to be a dish of peas. Vegetables,cost very little but make such a difference to a meal and would have completed both dishes.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela B
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were made very welcome by owner George and his team a very friendly host who makes you feel very welcome you feel this inn cares about it customers we stayed in the gold room there are so many touches and attention to detail is second to none this an olde traditional inn very clean beautiful outside garden at dinner and breakfast we were made very welcome food lovely quiet inn in lovely spot

Room Tip: Gold room is lovely
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple