“Great Food!”
Review of The Ship Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holy Island
The Ship Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Holy Island B&B and Inns
Godmanchester, United Kingdom
“Great Food!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were eating here at the end of May this year on recommendation from the owner of the Lindisfarne Hotel (Sean). It's a lovely old world Inn and obviously had reserved a table as Holy Island can get very busy depending on the tide times. I had a lovely Lamb Henry which was cooked to perfection, litterally falling off the bone. My wife had a Lasagne which she thoroughly enjoyed. Service was prompt and was by a lovely pleasant European lady (Maybe Italian?)
Really enjoyable and hope to come back here very soon...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We had 2 glorious days on Holy Island in April. Our accomodation was very comfortable, with a large ensuite bathroom. Facilities and food were excellent with very friendly and helpful staff. We can highly recommend and will be staying here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I found the meal mediocre. We were a little bit put off by having sauces in plastic sachets; not the sort of thing you expect when paying these prices. The other thing that really put us off eating here again was how sticky the tables were. They had obviously not been cleaned properly for a long time. Everything stuck to them, cutlery, glasses, place mats and my arm. It was an off putting experience and made us question further cleanliness in this establishment. All we wanted to do was quickly eat our meal and get out.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul T
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

my first time on holy island, we stayed at the ship inn, our stay was fantastic, all the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about what to do, where to go, and what to see on the island, the remote beaches and walks, were out of this world, the seals, the views all were brilliant.

we had room 4, which was perfect for us, en suite too. the food was out of this world, we can recommend the cooked break fast and the crab and prawn starter.

we would recommend this hotel, and would gladly stay here again, thanks shane and tracy

Room Tip: all the rooms were good
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Great Food at this great place. They made a starter into a main meal for me which was really good of them. The menu is not amazing but it is good food. The staff are really welcoming and accommodating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights and found it to be very good. After I'd booked it I wondered if it would be noisy given that it is a pub. However, although I heard people a little bit early in the evening it wasn't loud and by 10.30 it was quiet. Staff were cheerful and pleasant. Evening meals seemed to be a bit more expensive than normal for 'pub-grub' but that was probably because it was on an island. Overall, I had a good time and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

After last visiting the island over a decade a go, I decided to visit with my parents who go yearly. We received a lovely warm welcome from the owners on arrival, and were promptly shown to our rooms. I was staying in room 4, which is compact (as described on the website) but perfectly formed. The ensuite was large and spotlessly clean, and the tea and coffee making facilities were kept well stocked.
The food and in the pub below was excellent; the breakfast was cooked to order and of high quality, and we ate there every evening, the beef and ale pie was especially delicious! The staff in the pub were very warm and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble, a quick guide through the whiskey selection from Andrew certainly wet my appetite for the following couple of nights!
Yes the building is old and in some ways quirky, but that provides the character, and the prices are higher than you would find on the mainland, but that's just simple economics of supply and demand.
I would whole heartedly recommend!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Brock Mill Farmhouse
Broomhouse Farmhouse
Broomhouse Farmhouse
#1 of 2 in Cheswick

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!