“Best to see it when there is no service”

The Parish Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I went up to the church when they had a choir singing there
The sound was so wonderful I thought it must be taped
As I approached I got some unfriendly looks by the congregation and I felt I shouldn't be there I ignored them and could see there was a choir but the experience left me feeling sad I felt they should have wanted to share that magical moment but they were resentful of me being an outsider

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Definitely worth a visit if on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. This small old church has a history going back to St Aidan's times in the 600s AD and provides information about St Aidan, St Cuthbert,the Lindisfarne Gospels (there is a facsimile copy) and more. It is a working place of worship and also has some more modern statues, stained glass etc that fits in beautifully with the older material. Entry is free and there is a donation box to support the upkeep.

1  Thank madmikeb
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Iam not a religious oersin but I found inner peace and sincerity on visiting this place of worship had a very calming effect a must go and visit place when on the island...peace be with you

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Set next to the Priory you can learn a lot about the area if you take your time and study all the information on the walls of the church

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was lucky enough to be on the Island for WhitSunday so I attended the Parish Communion service.
I was confirmed in January by Nick Baines so to receive communion on Holy Island was very special for me.
I enjoyed the service, but was particularly moved by the sermon which was conducted by a lovely lady called Kate, she spoke so eloquently and her words will stay with me for life.
Thank you all for making me welcome in your church, a few years ago I visited and had a moment in St Mary's where I felt I had been touched by the hand of God. This church is incredibly spiritual to me. I look forward to retuning again in the near future.