“Fabulous house to stay”
Review of Barnacre

Barnacre
Ranked #1 of 1 Longhirst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2011

My family booked the Barnacre and the Granary to stay for the weekend for my Wedding at Longhirst Hall. What a fabulous house, perfect stay for my wedding. Linda Rudd is very accommodating and friendly.
Facilities - perfect! Both families loved their stay and perfect for getting to and from Longhirst Hall.
We have even booked for Xmas as it was like home from home, lovely surroundings and lovely grounds. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2010

Just returned from a week self catering in Barnacre and loved it. Great location in a quiet village which has a half hourly bus service to Newcastle/Alnwick and is only a few minutes drive to Morpeth. Druridge Bay with its beautiful unspoilt beaches is a short drive away and a little further afield are Cragside, Bamburgh and Alnwick to name but a few other places worthy of a visit.
Linda and Jenny had done a great job of cleaning the vast accommodation prior to our arrival. The accommodation is great for large groups, with 5 bedrooms, 2 lounges with Sky TV/Video/DVD, large dining room (with a table large enough for ten of us to sit around), kitchen with everything you could need, laundry room, ensuite bath/shower room, additional shower room, another bath/shower room and a chill out conservatory area opening onto a courtyard with a water feature. Oh and I musnt forget - the secret room, which has a pool table in it. The floor plan divides the living area from the sleeping area, which ensures those going to bed early/getting up late arent disturbed by those who are up.
We took the pedestrian route to Longhirst Hall which is only across the road and accessible with a pushchair. The grounds are well worth a visit (disappointingly we didnt see any red squirrels) and if its the right season you might have the opportunity to watch a game of cricket on one of the two pitches. The newly opened Collingwood Bar in the hotel offers reasonably priced bar meals, with a daily special which includes a pint/wine/soft drink for £9.95. The hotel now offers a Spa, but as expected, the prices are high.
We had a dog with us and unlike a previous reviewer we didnt experience any problems with the owners dog, which was friendly. Wifi is provided and there is a landline (with honesty box) for those unable to get a reception on their mobile. Hope to return again soon!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Barnacre is located in longhirst village, a short drive from Morpeth centre. It is very close to longhirst hall. We opted for the B&B - family interconnecting room. Rooms are massive and immaculately clean. Room had TV with standard channels, tea/coffee facilities, dryer, fresh towels etc. and it was cleaned everyday without fail.

It is always cold in northumberland and rooms being massive, it takes a while to heat up. Breakfast was between 8-9 with cereals, juice, veggie/meat sausages, toast, eggs, beans etc. We found it satisfying. There's a large lawn outside with chickens roaming freely and a dog. If you fancy a bit of exercise, there's table tennis(balls and racquets) in the garage. Sky TV is in the lounge which was very cosy. The pace wasn't that busy when we went - so we sort of enjoyed the lounge area which had videos, dvds, games - plenty to do there.

Linda is a wonderful host and she manages the huge place quite well. The only thing probably barnacre suffers from is its location - a drive from centre. You won't find any restaurants outside - more like a residential area. But Morpeth is only 5-10 min drive and there are plenty of restaurants. We tried the Indian restaurants - don't go to Saffron as the service is pretty bad. Tandoor Mahal was great. Plenty of bars there as well if you fancy.

I would recommend if you are going with family or families or with mum/dad. You could easily drive to Alnwick and see castle/gardens or drive to beautiful bamburgh castle with lovely sandy beach or even go to holy island (careful about tide times). Barnacre is great as a base.

If I'm nitpicking then I would say the shower cubicle could be a little bigger and the place could do with wifi and computer. Maybe open a restaurant and a bar - it would do well as the longhirst hall is tasteless. A few staff could make it livelier.

I would still give it four stars as we had a jolly good time.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank prash123
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Is this the same Barncre B&B me and my partner stayed at for a nice relaxing weekend in an idyllic village with a lovely host and a very laid back and relaxing feel. We came up in December to get away from the rush of Christmas shoppers for a 2 night stay, the place was very nice. The dog the comment before alludes to was so gentle and caring, all it wanted to do was play. Me and my partner found loads to do just to un-wind, the beach is only at a stretch 3 miles down the road and the amount of places to visit and walk around on the door step is staggering. All in all, we have booked to go back.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobGemma
Reviewed 24 December 2009

I had a two night stay at Barnacre in Morpeth in Sept. Room itself was lovely and the hearty breakfast was excellent.

Watch out for the dog though - there is a large alsation dog at the B&B. As I was leaving the alsation made on unprovoked attack on my dog, knocking me over and biting my dog; according to the owner this has happened before. I'd check they have it under control before booking.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank traveler0161

Been to Barnacre? Share your experiences!