“Evening meal in Dobson Restaraunt”

Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longhorsley
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My Wife, Daughter, Son in Law and his parents went to Dobsons on Sat 30th June to celebrate our Daughter and Son in Laws 1st Wedding Anniversary. We had their Wedding Breakfast at Linden hall last year and it was 1st Class and as part of the couples over night accommodation they had an evening meal at Dobsons and they were so impressed they wanted the 6 of us to go last night. I must say most of us were really disappointed.

My daughter and my wife's lamb dishes were way over cooked and was no where near the pink you should expect of lamb. My wife's Potato Duphinouse was grey as if it had been left standing for some time My son in laws rare steak was medium at best and my Pan Seared Cod had skin that was soggy, it was accompanied with an orange coloured jus which had no taste what so ever and a tiny circle of a very dried up potato dish (I think!)

The Brownie for desert was more like a piece of chocolate cake and didn't have that glorious oozing of sauce that a proper Brownie should have. My white chocolate bread an butter pudding had been no where near white chocolate although I must say that what it was was good but I love white chocolate and there was none.

I think for £36 per person it was way way over priced and if it was in the £20 - £25 area I would not have been so critical but for this price and expect a lot higher standard.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ed H

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I was given an 'Undwind and Dine for Two' gift voucher to use at Linden Hall for my birthday. The voucher was for an afternoon at the spa including a 30 minute treatment and an evening meal for two in the restaurant.
This review is a one of two halves really as the afternoon began at the spa. The changing rooms are incredibly small and you have to be quite clever about getting changed if there's more than yourself in the changing room as even if you find a way of fitting your bag in to locker you may get a body part from the person next to you in your face as you get changed.
We were told that we had free range of the fitness facilities on arrival which was great as it's the only gym that I've been in where you can go on the treadmill whilst rowing and going on the cross trainer at the same time. Hats off to the hotel as they've somehow also managed to fit some weights into the smallest front room I've ever seen! (It was really one room that was that small!). We went into the spa waiting room to wait for our treatment. There's another review on here which noted the waiting room was like a Dr's waiting room... I couldn't agree more.. the chairs were incredibly comfortable in the 60's and the only thing that was missing was the sign that comes up with your name when it's your turn.
In fairness.. the treatment was brilliant, I had a smashing back massage and my other half had a head and neck massage which also received great reviews.
We went to continue our unwind in the spa which really needs a lot of investment. The chairs around the pool area are reminiscent of garden chairs which are sold in ASDA apart from the fact that the ones in ASDA aren't rusty. The jacuzzi had scum over the top of the water, sauna was broken and steam room had an interesting mouldy smell which helped to take your mind off the rust. The best part of the 'unwind' experience was near the end when there was about 5 men in the pool area for a swim etc... when we went for a shower one of the other guests didn't realise that the changing rooms were that small there was actually only one shower and got in with my mate... hilarious! Once the shower was reclaimed the thermostat went and the water temperature went to scalding hot. This was the final straw as any sense of unwinding was gone so we went to the spa reception to complain and were told that the only feedback mechanism they had in place was Trip Advisor!
If it wasn't for the next part of the review the day would've been a disaster. The hotel itself is in lovely grounds and the main areas look beautiful. We went into an impressive dining room which was staffed by very attentive, professional and friendly staff which bode well for what was to follow.
The two course meal we had was brilliant... the food was beautifully cooked, extremely well presented and tasted amazing.
If you go to this hotel then please do not go for the spa until they spend some money on it. Save your pennies and invest in a meal in the restaurant as this was the best meal that I have had in absolute ages!

1  Thank ripcurl1
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Went to Linden Hall as a group of 8 for golf and stayover. Really enjoyed it. The room was good, staff friendly and the food excellent. Enjoyed the course in spite of the weather. Had our evening meal in the pub and it was first class. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Decided it was time to spend quality time at a mother & daughters break (all over 21). Saw a cracking deal at Linden Hall. Bed/Breakfast/ evening meal at the Linden Tree Pub, afternoon cream tea & a bottle of wine in each room £89.00 couldn't go wrong.
We arrived around 11am just in time for coffee, one room was ready so dropped our bags & went to chill in the morning room, its been decorated since I was last here, and when the sun came through the windows it was so warm and welcoming.
We had lunch at the Linden tree which was delish. Spent the afternoon chilling out in the pool area which was nice and warm. But we all agreed the area should now be expanded to include full loungers & a small juice bar, maybe add another conservatory adjacent to the pool it would be fab.
Anyway, after relaxing, went into the morning room for afternoon tea and clotted cream fresh scones & jam sooooooo good.
For our evening meal we were booked into the Linden tree, where the food was lovely, the staff were very attentive and helpful.
night caps in the cocktail lounge very relaxing.
breakfast was fab, excellent range of cereal, the bread used for toast is wonderful.
We came away thinking what a brilliant stay all for £89.00 ok there are tiny little things that could be tweekied if you really want to but honestly why would you????

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms past the Spa they are larger as sometimes used for families, and very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Very impressed by this hotel and its staff. Lovely estate setting, with beautiful views from bedroom and breakfast room. The afternoon tea is quite remarkable - it comes with warm scones and cream, definitely recommended! We had dinner in the pub, also on the estate, also recommended. We found the staff friendly, helpful, and very welcoming. We'd like to come back. Shame the sauna was out of action; the spa was otherwise nice.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed just for one night. My first impression was a very dull and lifeless Reception Area with cobwebs in the corners. The room we were given was downstairs next to the Spa and was very disappointing. Worn carpet, tired furniture, big stain on ceiling, gloomy bathroom with missing/broken floor tiles next to bath. We asked to be moved and the Duty Manager was very nice and arranged for us to move to a refurbished room. It was much better, with a lovely view of the golf course. We had dinner and breakfast in the John Dobson Restaurant and the food was absolutely superb, along with the service, which was faultless.

This hotel could be really special but needs a lot of time and money spent on it to bring it up to what we would expect of a 4* hotel. Hats off to the fantastic staff though, who did it proud.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Having stayed at Linden Hall for a business trip I was very shocked to see that this hotel actually gets a 4* rating. While the décor in the reception area and lounge is not bad I found the rooms to be very dated, with discoloured flowery headboards, old fashioned furniture and a mouldy and dated bathroom. The walls are also very thin so I could hear people in the next room and also a man snoring too.

While the room did come with luxury toiletries and complementary water that is about the only thing I can compliment this room on.

On check out I had to wait over 15 minutes to check out as there was only one person serving, despite other members of staff coming behind the front desk but not serving anyone.

The irony of it though was the following night I stayed at a premier inn- which does not class itself as luxury at all. However, the room was cleaner, more modern and had a lot nicer bathroom and shower. So the fact a premier inn ranks a lot higher than the supposedly 4* Linden Hall says something about the quality or lack of it, of this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the local premier inn down the road and certainly do not pick here if you are looking for a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sarah T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longhorsley
Doxford Hall Hotel
#3 of 5 in Alnwick
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick

Been to Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!