Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
US$47
US$43
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Newcastle Gosforth/Cramlington Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$94
PremierInn.com
2,068 results
All reviewsdobson restaurantthe pubevening meallovely hotelmain restaurantcocktail barlovely groundsspa facilitieswedding partyspa breakexecutive roomcream teawedding receptionmaster of ceremoniesmacdonald linden hallblack puddingone night stay
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Just stayed overnight ( 9th July ) with my husband & was really looking forward to an evening meal in Dobsons restaraunt.However that meal completely ruined our stay,we were in the restaraunt for two and a half hours due to very long waits between each course.We had to ask for the dessert menu twice and we gave up on the coffee we asked for, otherwise we would still be sitting there ! No explination or apology was given for the very slow service.The tables around us were littered with plates from the previous diners,obviously the young waiting staff could not cope & were in need of a decent Maitre d'Hotel.The meal when we did get it was very nice but because of the lateness we didn't feel like going to the bar afterwards as planned but went back to our room tired & miserable.I must say that the next mornings breakfast went smoothly (pity those waiters weren't on duty the night before ) The room was very clean & comfortable & the reception staff very pleasant .But needless to say we shall not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Myself and three friends stayed here for two nights on the golf break offer, Two of us paid 210ukp each for single rooms. For this we had two nights bed, breakfast and evening meal and as much golf as we wanted to play - fantastic value.

The evening meal on our deal was served in the Linden pub which is adjacent to the hotel and serves as the club house. The food here was perfectly acceptable, freshly cooked and a good choice. On our second night we chose tp pay the 11ukp supplement and eat in the main restaurant, The food and service here was terrific - well worth the upgrade but no complaints about the first nights food.

My room was spacious and well appointed. It did not have air conditioning but with the windows opened slightly the room was very comfortable. The hotel is sent in enormous grounds away from any roads and was very quiet. Staff were welcoming and extremely helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.

Now to the golf course, which was the reason for our trip. We stayed on a Tues/Weds/Thurs and virtually had the course to ourselves. Given the recent very wet conditions the course was in good condition apart from some bunkers which were designated GUR as the water had not fuly drained. There is so much space here that each hole feels separate and unique. Greens are very good.

Overall we had an excellent stay, the weather was kind to us and we could not fault the hotel. A great spot if you are visiting this area,

Room Tip: Some rooms are a little small - ask for the larger doubles which I was lucky enough to get.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My Wife, Daughter, Son in Law and his parents went to Dobsons on Sat 30th June to celebrate our Daughter and Son in Laws 1st Wedding Anniversary. We had their Wedding Breakfast at Linden hall last year and it was 1st Class and as part of the couples over night accommodation they had an evening meal at Dobsons and they were so impressed they wanted the 6 of us to go last night. I must say most of us were really disappointed.

My daughter and my wife's lamb dishes were way over cooked and was no where near the pink you should expect of lamb. My wife's Potato Duphinouse was grey as if it had been left standing for some time My son in laws rare steak was medium at best and my Pan Seared Cod had skin that was soggy, it was accompanied with an orange coloured jus which had no taste what so ever and a tiny circle of a very dried up potato dish (I think!)

The Brownie for desert was more like a piece of chocolate cake and didn't have that glorious oozing of sauce that a proper Brownie should have. My white chocolate bread an butter pudding had been no where near white chocolate although I must say that what it was was good but I love white chocolate and there was none.

I think for £36 per person it was way way over priced and if it was in the £20 - £25 area I would not have been so critical but for this price and expect a lot higher standard.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ed H
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I was given an 'Undwind and Dine for Two' gift voucher to use at Linden Hall for my birthday. The voucher was for an afternoon at the spa including a 30 minute treatment and an evening meal for two in the restaurant.
This review is a one of two halves really as the afternoon began at the spa. The changing rooms are incredibly small and you have to be quite clever about getting changed if there's more than yourself in the changing room as even if you find a way of fitting your bag in to locker you may get a body part from the person next to you in your face as you get changed.
We were told that we had free range of the fitness facilities on arrival which was great as it's the only gym that I've been in where you can go on the treadmill whilst rowing and going on the cross trainer at the same time. Hats off to the hotel as they've somehow also managed to fit some weights into the smallest front room I've ever seen! (It was really one room that was that small!). We went into the spa waiting room to wait for our treatment. There's another review on here which noted the waiting room was like a Dr's waiting room... I couldn't agree more.. the chairs were incredibly comfortable in the 60's and the only thing that was missing was the sign that comes up with your name when it's your turn.
In fairness.. the treatment was brilliant, I had a smashing back massage and my other half had a head and neck massage which also received great reviews.
We went to continue our unwind in the spa which really needs a lot of investment. The chairs around the pool area are reminiscent of garden chairs which are sold in ASDA apart from the fact that the ones in ASDA aren't rusty. The jacuzzi had scum over the top of the water, sauna was broken and steam room had an interesting mouldy smell which helped to take your mind off the rust. The best part of the 'unwind' experience was near the end when there was about 5 men in the pool area for a swim etc... when we went for a shower one of the other guests didn't realise that the changing rooms were that small there was actually only one shower and got in with my mate... hilarious! Once the shower was reclaimed the thermostat went and the water temperature went to scalding hot. This was the final straw as any sense of unwinding was gone so we went to the spa reception to complain and were told that the only feedback mechanism they had in place was Trip Advisor!
If it wasn't for the next part of the review the day would've been a disaster. The hotel itself is in lovely grounds and the main areas look beautiful. We went into an impressive dining room which was staffed by very attentive, professional and friendly staff which bode well for what was to follow.
The two course meal we had was brilliant... the food was beautifully cooked, extremely well presented and tasted amazing.
If you go to this hotel then please do not go for the spa until they spend some money on it. Save your pennies and invest in a meal in the restaurant as this was the best meal that I have had in absolute ages!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ripcurl1
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Went to Linden Hall as a group of 8 for golf and stayover. Really enjoyed it. The room was good, staff friendly and the food excellent. Enjoyed the course in spite of the weather. Had our evening meal in the pub and it was first class. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends