Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Eshott Hall(Eshott)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
2,064 results
All reviewsdobson restaurantthe pubevening meallovely hotelmain restaurantcocktail barlovely groundsspa facilitieswedding partyspa breakexecutive roomcream teawedding receptionmaster of ceremoniesmacdonald linden hallblack puddingone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay and can't wait to visit again. We found the staff to be, without exception, friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. The breakfasts were 1st class, with plenty of choice and everything well cooked. We had our dinners in the Linden Tree pub each evening so cant comment on the restaurant but we enjoyed everything we had. Walks around the well maintained grounds made for a very relaxing break. We will definitely return.

2  Thank Helen C
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just came back from a valentines stay here,after reading reviews on here I didn't have my hopes to high but was pleasantly surprised!

The room- 4 poster, clean & with us staying on the valentines package it had a few cute extras, champagne, chocolates & rose petals on the bed. The room had enough space to feel cosy and not lost it was perfect. The bathroom was slightly ages and the shower was not the warmest but fine for the one night stay.

Spa- The spa is not the best we have been to but it has everything you could need we dined late so we could stay later in the spa and ended up with the place to ourselves. The lady on the desk at the spa was very helpful too.

Restaurant- We really didn't know what to expect with the evening meal, it was included in the package we where on and was a bit more formal then what we would normally dine. Our waiter James was great, helped us with the menu and even recommend food and drink, he made us feel very welcome.Overall the meal was the best we have ever eaten! The starters didn't blow us away, I had duck and my partner had game, but the steak for meal was perfect! Best we have eaten! Hats off to the chef. Dessert of cheesecake was okay but wouldn't mind seeing something on there for us chocolate lovers. Breakfast was in the same restaurant and was lovely, loads to choose from we had a cooked breakfast which had a lovely sausage. Very tasty! staff where attentive and polite couldn't fault it!

Reception- We where greeted form the poring rain by a young man on reception that was very polite and informed us with everything we needed to know about our stay including or dinner reservation that there had been a bit of a mix up with. But all was resolved promptly .

The hotel overall had a great feel to it and looks beautiful! I maybe just needs a few touch ups here and there. The staff are very friendly and will help you with anything. We are just a young couple, 20 & 22 and didn't feel out of place at all. The staff made the stay very pleasant .Would recommend and hope we can stay again and maybe try out a suite :)

1  Thank Charlotte H
GMLinden, Manager at Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Guest
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your Valentines break here at Linden Hall and I thank you for posting your good review. It's a nice time to be at Linden, our lounges with roaring log fires create a wonderful atmosphere and it is indeed a lovely house. Your feedback on our food supports the quality of produce that we purchase with greater things to come in the near future making for an unmissable dining experience.
Kind regards
GM Linden Hall

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We have visited Linden Hall in the past and have enjoyed our stays here. Booked two nights dinner bed and breakfast to celebrate my birthday. Was not disappointed. Dined for the first time in the Dobson restaurant, found the service and the food excellent, the menu clearly states where there are supplements to the menu price. Plenty of choice for the cold buffet breakfast, the hot breakfast we found was very tasty with more than enough to satisfy your appetite. Room was clean and serviced both days we were there. The lounge areas are comfortable and cosy. We found the staff in the hotel were without exception friendly, polite and professional without being stuffy. The leisure facilities are easy to get to and the pool is a good size and there is a small but adequate gym. We had a drink in the pub where we have also had a meal when we were not staying there, I have to say though on three of the last four occasions we have been there including this one we have witnessed some upset between a customer and a member of staff, which then has a knock on effect to how other customers are interacted with. We have never seen this happen in the hotel. We have visited other similar hotels in the North East but we keep returning to Linden.

Room Tip: Like anything the more you pay the better the room, the cheaper rooms however are good value
1  Thank chtraveler00

Dear Guest

Thank you for your most generous review following your recent stay with us. It was good to read that you had such a wonderful experience here at Linden and your feedback is very encouraging.
Your comments on our food and service are much appreciated, both are continually receiving our full attention in order to constantly improve our quality and standards. As well as dinner in our restaurant I was glad to read your feedback on breakfast which is something that the vast majority of our guests tell us they do enjoy. Your great comments on our staff have been relayed to them, they are indeed a good team eager to please.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Linden Hall.

Yours sincerely

GM LindenHall

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in Linden Hall for the February half term in order to combine our break with a family visit in Newcastle. Very easy to find and just 7 minutes off the A1.

The website flatters the building which would be much improved by major tree surgery. Staff were welcoming and helpful apart from one notable exception - more of this later. Room was really sparkling clean without a .trace of black marks in bathroom grouting etc.

We had booked a 3 night prepaid dinner, bed and breakfast package which we have done before at MacDonald Forest Hills (great food but very tatty hotel 2 years ago) and twice at MacDonald Highland Hotel, Aviemore (excellent in every way although even the best rooms are a bit small). What a mistake on this occasion as we found the food appalling. Let me elucidate...

Dinner evening 1: We asked if bread would be served with the meal to be told no but we could order some at nearly £2 per portion. Bread was nice but I've never been asked to pay for this before.
Starter was apparently Stilton in batter on a salad which didn't even taste of cheese never mind Stilton. On examination the inside of the puff was a pale yellow paste - completely tasteless and was left.
Main course was lamb which the menu description made us await with much anticipation. When it came, it was a gloopy servingspoon of over-reduced and therefore dreadfully over seasoned "stew". When asked by the assistant restaurant manager if everything was to our satisfaction before we had even tasted it, I asked where the vegetables/ potatoes were and oh dear did he get on his high horse and try to put us in our place by suggesting that we did not appreciate what "fine dining" was. Not appropriate in any case but since we regularly eat at Michelin starred restaurants...! Couldn't eat more that a forkful as it was so terribly over-seasoned.

Puddings - my husband had an apple crumble with a pastry base which was tasteless. I can only assume that it has been made with dessert apples as there was no flavour of over-sweetness, if it had too much sugar, and no tartness of apple at all. Pastry was passable. I had a cheesecake which was tasteless although the crumb base was nice and very crunchy.

The service was chaotic with tables being served courses higgeldy piggeldy although all of the waiting staff were very pleasant. The insolent assistant manager would have done better to have managed the restaurant rather than putting diners in their place.

Coffee in the lounge was an extra but was good with delicious chocolates which appeared to have been home made.

Dinner evening 2: Assistant restaurant manager came to take our orders unnoticed by my husband who was leaning over to speak to me when said manager sharply rebuked him saying that he would be "taking the lady's order first" and that he should wait his turn. We were so surprised by his comment that we didn't respond!

Starter was game terrine which was tasteless and had just been taken from the fridge which gave it no chance whatsoever. Served with tasteless apple sauce (shades of last night's apple crumble) and leaves which were probably old the day before.

Pan fried lamb was nice but my pheasant, which was advertised as being pan-fried, had never seen a frying pan and lay there pale and unappetising. On ordering I had asked if the pheasant would be served pink and was coldly told that it could be if that was what I wanted however, there was no sign of pinkness about it. Again tasteless and very tough. Ironically both main courses came with vegetables and potatoes (see earlier comment about fine dining) which were unremarkable but my husband's Dauphinoise potatoes were exceptionally oily as if they had been made with a cream substitute as there was no sign of cream and could not be eaten. Since there had been no potatoes or vegetables served the night before, we ordered mixed green vegetables and chunky chips. These were returned after the merest taste as the chips were flabby and wet inside whist the vegetables were lying in a pool of cooking water and were foul with salt.

My husband's pudding was listed as being apple pie but it bore a remarkable resemblance to the previous night's apple crumble with the same tastelessness.

The dining room was very busy as it was Valentine's night and since there was still no organisation it was even more chaotic than before with delightful staff rushing around doing their best but no order as to who should be attended to first. We waited 55 minutes before our starters arrived whilst at least three other tables who were seated before us waited even longer.

Coffee again good but with cheaper shop bought chocolates.

Dinner evening 3: We couldn't face the dining room again so booked our meal in the Linden Pub. Although a very simple menu the food was freshly prepared, served promptly and was flavoursome although the peas were like bullets.

Breakfasts: Day 1 we had cooked breakfasts. Eggs were fine, sausage was cooked well although not to our taste, black pudding was inedible as it appeared to have been cooked in oil/fat which was too cool. Fried bread looked and tasted as though it had been deep fried - ugh! Cold buffet was uninspiring - so unlike our other MacDonald experiences. Coffee and toast were good. Serving staff lovely

Day 2 the smell of burning food greeted us several yards before entering the dining room. Opted for porridge which was hot and a good consistency but had no seasoning yet again. Croissants were burnt on the outside and uncooked on the inside. Serving staff lovely.

Day 3. Had cereal, coffee and toast - all fine and yet again delightful serving staff.

£619 for prepaid package three night's dinner bed and breakfast plus wines, after dinner coffees and sundries. No £10 credit for being a member of the Club and booking online was applied to my bill which I did not realise until later. Will we be back? Absolutely not as I couldn't waste that amount of money again on inedible food or waste whole evenings waiting to be served in the dining room only to be so disrespected by a senior member of the restaurant management. What a shame that we have been left with such a poor memory of Linden Hall as the GM and other staff members were an absolute delight.

2  Thank Easytogetonwith
GMLinden, General Manager at Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback which I was naturally disappointed to receive. There are many adverse comments in your review, mainly about food quality and service levels in the restaurant and I would have welcomed the opportunity to have addressed those while you were still with us.

Valentines weekend, I am pleased to say was indeed busy and the feedback from fellow guests on departure was very good. Being present on all evenings in and around the restaurant and kitchen areas I did not detect service as chaotic nor the food served to our diners being as you described. We purchase the finest quality Scottish beef and lamb which is always appreciated by our diners and on this evening your dish was roasted and sliced rump of lamb with mange tout, dauphinoise potatoes, butternut squash puree and red wine jus.

I was in the restaurant at breakfast time each morning serving and speaking to guests all of whom seemed genuinely pleased with their dining experience.

I again at this stage cannot comment on the smell of burning which suggests something untowards has happened in the kitchen.This was not the case and can only assume it was the smell of toasting bread from the adjoining stillroom.

Our cold breakfast buffet offers an excelIent selections of fruits, juices, pastries, cheeses, cold meats and more which always satisfies our guests and as I view it every morning I did not identify burned croissants.

I have spoken to the gentleman who is the assistant restaurant manager you referred to about your comments. It would be out of character for him to be condescending in any way. I can genuinely say that this is not in his nature and he was only trying to be helpful and informative. He has asked me to pass on his apologies if his intentions were misinterpreted

Our intention is always to strive to offer our guests a great experience and it seems that we did not achieve this on this occasion. I very much regret that we failed to do so and would have wished to speak to you during your stay. I fully appreciate that we must continually strive to make improvements and offer consistant quality in all parts of our business.

Yours sincerely
GM Linden Hall

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Me and my wife stayed here on February 1st for 1 night and paid around £165 for dinner, bed and breakfast. I have stayed here several times over the last few years but this was the first time I had eaten in the Dobson restaurant instead of the pub next door. The food was very well presented and I was very impressed with the service. I would definitely eat there again, as we both had 3 courses and coffee and thoroughly enjoyed them all. We stayed in room 7 which was downstairs near the spa area. The room itself was newly refurbished and was very well presented. The only thing I didn't like was an adjoining door to the room next door. It was obviously locked, but I didn't like the fact that I could hear noise from the room next door. I asked at reception for non-feather pillows, and when we returned to the room, they were there for me. Breakfast was another huge plus as there was something for everybody and full English served to your table. The hotel and the grounds are lovely and very well kept. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Room 7 is ground floor and close to the spa and swimming pool.