“Nice hotel, nice location”

Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longhorsley
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had a very relaxing stay here for a couple of nights. The hotel is in a lovely old building in beautiful grounds. Didn't play golf but the course looked lovely, similarly the pool. The room wasn't the biggest, however it was comfortable and had everything we needed. Very noisy floorboards but I guess that's due to the age of the building. The staff were very friendly and welcoming which was nice.
We had lunch and dinner in the Linden Tree pub which was nice and informal. Breakfast in the hotel was very good, buffet for cereals, breads etc while the hot breakfast was freshly cooked.
There is a lot to do in this area and this was a great base for a lot of nearby attractions.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,035)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I use Macdonald Hotels and we were gifted a £50 voucher . As we live in Alnwick Northumberland not to far from The Lindon Tree Pub Restaurant located in and part of Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club . We decided to have our lunch on Saturday 21st June 2014 1230 . Only two other couples were in the pub conservatory.
Bar service was fine but when we decided to book our starter and main meal the girl that was waiting on could not tell us what was described on the menu .We both ordered Greek Salad , my wife the steak and fries for her main meal and Haddock and Thick Chips for myself .

The Greek Salad arrived fairly quickly but no herb dressing or olive oil , feta cheese had no taste and my salad was brown on the edges on some of the salad leaves It looked out of a bag and very tired . No salad dressing on mine .

Main meal arrived my Haddock in Beer Batter / Chunky Chips . Haddock was wet inside beer batter and the fish had been placed on top of chunky chips . The water had soaked through the batter making the chunky chips limp and soggy , When I picked up a chip with my fork it just bent over double . Not very nice at all .

My wife's steak and fries were fine she seamed to enjoy her main meal .

We finished off with sticky toffee pudding that was fine .

This is my first visit to this establishment and can only say the food in general was not up to scratch for a Macdonald Hotel bar meal .

Les Slater . Alnwick Northumberland

Room Tip: Not Applicable
4  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Four star hotel with five star service!! Everyone was so friendly and from the cleaner to the manager would all make time for a chat. It was great to see that the staff were mainly taken from that area and we're NOT all size 8! We had three lovely days.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at Linden hall through Secret Escapes so got a really good deal. The hotel is what you would expect from a country house hotel. a few scratches around the edges but full of charm and character. What really sets the hotel apart is the food and its first class staff.I ate in the Dobson restaurant and the food was fantastic. All members of staff on duty were very welcoming and friendly, however one stood out in particular -the concierge. From the moment we arrived we were greeted at the front step by Chris, our car was valet parked and our luggage was placed n our room whilst we had a glass of wine to relax after a long journey. He was very efficient. On entering our bedroom we found the room to be very spacious and relaxing. The real wow factor came on our return from the spa, when having passed comment earlier to Chris that it was our anniversary we returned to our room with rose petals scattered on the bed and his and her chocolates on the side board. Small token but maximum effect. Had a really wonderful stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hannah A
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I firstly would like to point out that my husband left a review below which the manager does not seem to take seriously.

Secondly my husband has worked within the tourist information sector and knows what he is talking about.

We found the hotel and decor rather dull. The food was awful I am used to a much higher standard. The staff were also rude especially the beverage manager who apparently accused me of holding up the start if the meal (the host was very aggressive towards my daughter and another relative they were both in tears so I took this scene out of the dining area). He also accused us of leaving glasses in the toilets, the last thing I want to do especially in those toilets as they were dirty and stank to high heaven was to consume food or drink. No activities at all for children.

Before my review is also poo pooed by the general manager , I have travelled around the world extensively with my children and I have stayed in many hotels. This one is definitely towards the lower end if the scale and the only thing I can say about the 5 star reviews is that they either stayed on a day where the staff were performing up to standard or they are not used to much!

Stayed: May 2014
7  Thank Jackson9905
Reviewed 4 June 2014

after reading previous reviews which critisised service and food, I went aprehensively, with a group of friends for a golf package stay. From the moment we arrived until we departed the service was excellent and staff were very helpful and accommodating. We arrived couple hours before normal room check in, but after visiting the Linden Hall pub for a snack and a drink within an hour our rooms were available, enabling us to unpack and head for the golf course. Whilst the course is fairly young in age, it is a good testing and interesting course. Some of the par 3`s are more difficult than they look.(book a golf buggy if you don`t enjoy long walks). Dinner in the evening in the "pub" was really enjoyable and full of flavour, don`t think there was one complaint from the 8 of us and service was excellent. Breakfast in the morning was very varied, fresh fruit / cereal/yoghurt / coldmeats & cheeses / pastries etc and your cooked b/fast was made to order and really good choice. If I have one small critisicim of the room, for those people that like to relax in a bath, they are not built for people 6ft tall.This is a good venue for a quiet relaxing spa & golf weekend for all, also a good base to explore the surrounding attractions. Would reccomend this venue and would return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank raem654
GMLinden, General Manager at Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Hi

Thanks for the feedback I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much especially relating to the golf course our own Linden Tree Pub and of course the service team we hope to see you all again

Kind Regards

Andrew Thresh

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed at linden hall many times and all have been really enjoyable experiences but not as much as the experience I had for my mam and dads ruby wedding, the food was of the highest standard and the staff were so friendly and helpful I really felt as if they became part of my extended family whilst I stayed at linden hall. The member of staff that was in charge of the celebrations and made sure they went smoothly was a complete gentleman and added extra sparkle to the day. I used the spa facilities the next day and took the opportunity to relax in the grounds of the hotel in the glorious sunshine while I was there it was so peaceful and I very much look forward to going back for my graduation in July.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ginajackson28
GMLinden, General Manager at Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Gina

thank you for taking the time to review especially as in addition to your mum it was a pleasure and I know the food and beverage manager was really pleased to read your comments

Regards

Andrew Thresh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longhorsley
Doxford Hall Hotel
#4 of 5 in Alnwick
Waren House Hotel
Waren House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bamburgh

Been to Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!