“Overpriced and somewhat pretentious!”

Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longhorsley
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely grounds, character buildings and an on-site pub that serve really good food are the undoubted highlights. However, a hotel in this neck of the woods that has the gall to charge £110 for a nights stay without breakfast is on a suicide mission in terms of repeat clientele. Couple this with a bedroom that would bruise the cats nose as you try to swing it, terminal water hammer in the archaic plumbing, uncomfortably hot room, creaking floorboards and inconsiderate people who run the water at 5.20 in the morning and you will get the impression that this is one business traveller who will not be returning. I may have said that before but I thought I would give them another try. Unfortunately, two strikes and I'm out!

Oh...and another point...if it takes your receptionist 10 minutes to check out one person...thank goodness you were not too busy?

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank BarrynEileen

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

After a disastrous visit at New Year we returned to find 100% improvement! Friendly staff, charming hotel and grounds and nice meal in the pub! The Spa was clean and very relaxing! However don't expect good WiFi coverage, the area is remote but thats why its lovely

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chelle2k34
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Don't get me wrong ... Linden Hall is a beautiful hotel set in very charming grounds. If you're considering this for a wedding setting then I don't think you'll go too far wrong. The staff were very pleasant with helpful concierge. The general first appearance is very good, however when you look a little bit closer you start to see the early signs of a hotel becoming tired. There's nothing I hate more than reclining in the jacuzzi and looking up to see rust around the vents, or standing in the lift and seeing grubby paper. We were in room 122 - I forget if this was an executive or a feature room, either way it wasn't Linden's basic accommodation. I have to say, IMO, the space lacked imagination - it was large enough for sure but was short on character - felt more like a domestic guest room if you know what I mean. The bathroom was OK but suffered from those rather sloppy estates repairs that annoy me. Combine this with the window view of the disabled car parking area and an uncomfortable couple of nights sleep and I left feeling slightly underwhelmed, which was disappointing really given the great setting and not insignificant cost! As always the breakfast was first rate. Final story, on our way to breakfast one of the managers chose to let rip at a couple of staff members who had stacked the previous day (which we saw them do) some wooden tables under the stairs (our main fire escape route). He was aware of us walking along the corridor but this didn't seem to slow him down (he seemed to be in full flow) - As we passed by his words to his cowering staff were "This is the biggest no-no I've seen since I've been here" - I agree it wasn't good that flammable and unsightly tables were shoved in full view under the stairs but I would add to the list of no-no's in a hotel that of chewing-up staff in front of customers - not the time or the place.

In summary: (+) great setting and grounds, beautiful house, friendly staff (to guests!), good
food
(-) Expensive, starting to look a little worn around the edges, beds not the best for
me

Room Tip: Not a great view from room 122
2  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had a very relaxing stay here for a couple of nights. The hotel is in a lovely old building in beautiful grounds. Didn't play golf but the course looked lovely, similarly the pool. The room wasn't the biggest, however it was comfortable and had everything we needed. Very noisy floorboards but I guess that's due to the age of the building. The staff were very friendly and welcoming which was nice.
We had lunch and dinner in the Linden Tree pub which was nice and informal. Breakfast in the hotel was very good, buffet for cereals, breads etc while the hot breakfast was freshly cooked.
There is a lot to do in this area and this was a great base for a lot of nearby attractions.
Would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I use Macdonald Hotels and we were gifted a £50 voucher . As we live in Alnwick Northumberland not to far from The Lindon Tree Pub Restaurant located in and part of Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club . We decided to have our lunch on Saturday 21st June 2014 1230 . Only two other couples were in the pub conservatory.
Bar service was fine but when we decided to book our starter and main meal the girl that was waiting on could not tell us what was described on the menu .We both ordered Greek Salad , my wife the steak and fries for her main meal and Haddock and Thick Chips for myself .

The Greek Salad arrived fairly quickly but no herb dressing or olive oil , feta cheese had no taste and my salad was brown on the edges on some of the salad leaves It looked out of a bag and very tired . No salad dressing on mine .

Main meal arrived my Haddock in Beer Batter / Chunky Chips . Haddock was wet inside beer batter and the fish had been placed on top of chunky chips . The water had soaked through the batter making the chunky chips limp and soggy , When I picked up a chip with my fork it just bent over double . Not very nice at all .

My wife's steak and fries were fine she seamed to enjoy her main meal .

We finished off with sticky toffee pudding that was fine .

This is my first visit to this establishment and can only say the food in general was not up to scratch for a Macdonald Hotel bar meal .

Les Slater . Alnwick Northumberland

Room Tip: Not Applicable
4  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Four star hotel with five star service!! Everyone was so friendly and from the cleaner to the manager would all make time for a chat. It was great to see that the staff were mainly taken from that area and we're NOT all size 8! We had three lovely days.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at Linden hall through Secret Escapes so got a really good deal. The hotel is what you would expect from a country house hotel. a few scratches around the edges but full of charm and character. What really sets the hotel apart is the food and its first class staff.I ate in the Dobson restaurant and the food was fantastic. All members of staff on duty were very welcoming and friendly, however one stood out in particular -the concierge. From the moment we arrived we were greeted at the front step by Chris, our car was valet parked and our luggage was placed n our room whilst we had a glass of wine to relax after a long journey. He was very efficient. On entering our bedroom we found the room to be very spacious and relaxing. The real wow factor came on our return from the spa, when having passed comment earlier to Chris that it was our anniversary we returned to our room with rose petals scattered on the bed and his and her chocolates on the side board. Small token but maximum effect. Had a really wonderful stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hannah A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longhorsley
Doxford Hall Hotel
#3 of 5 in Alnwick
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick

Been to Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!