2,110 results
All reviewsdobson restaurantthe pubevening meallovely hotelmain restaurantlovely groundscocktail barspa facilitieswedding partyspa breakexecutive roomwedding receptioncream teamaster of ceremoniesmacdonald linden hallblack puddingone night stay
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked executive room which turned out to be a modern box and not in the main hotel but by the Spa at the back. Service in the main restaurant was very slow with young inexperienced and untrained staff, certain dishes unavailable. Room service breakfast had missing items and replacements were also wrong. Towels not changed or room tidied properly. We tried breakfast in the dining room which was big disaster - wedding party was seated with hotel guests meaning huge delays - kitchen couldn't cope - told to go away and come back later - eventually got seated but waited 45 mins for main course! In summary hotel lacked any evidence of proper management - we got 2/3 star service at best and paid 5 star prices - poor value.

Room Tip: Check if the room is in the main hotel or the annexe at the back near to the golf shop and bar where you get told to park your car.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jubley
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Went for a spa day and afternoon tea using a Groupon deal.
The spa facilities really aren't great and they had booked so many people in there were no seats or loungers around the pool and it was impossible to use the hot tub, sauna or steam room. The pool area is very tired and I was really disappointed especially when I noticed some of the tiles in the pool are held on by tape. Changing areas also very poor.
Afternoon tea was nice, but the scones weren't cooked properly so we couldn't eat some of them. Then when we asked if we could add a glass of prosecco to the afternoon tea at £5 a glass as stated in the deal, I was told we would have to pay full price as I had not pre-booked the glasses of prosecco. On checking the deal this is not what it says, so I was charged an extra £1.75 per glass than I should have been.
It's such a shame as the setting and the exterior of the hotel are beautiful, but was sadly let down by a tired interior and poor service from the member of staff who served us afternoon tea.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Ash131181
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Extremely good value hotel - there are pre-book bargains to be had - particularly if you like good food. The menu is not large but the food is extremely well assembled and served.

Extremely helpful staff and good facilities.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed there for 3 nights this week using Tesco vouchers for the room although I did pay the upcharge for a better one which was very good. The staff were excellent, the gardens were a delight and we enjoyed our stay. We used the Linden Tree pub to eat which was fine but the price of wine by the glass is outrageous - over £20 for a large and a small glass. We will definitely go again because we love the area, love the hotel and its location but we won't be taking wine by the glass!

Room Tip: We found 236 ok
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed on a 3-night midweek break at the start of July 2014. This was booked through a holiday agency and included dinner in the 2 AA-rosette restaurant.
The location is excellent, much of the building has interesting period features. Without doubt, the best feature of the hotel is its staff.
There were some let-downs. Firstly, we were allocated possibly the poorest of all of the rooms. It was situated on the second floor. In this case, that meant in the eaves of the roof. Sloping ceilings and one high dormer window that opened only slightly. You would have to stand on a chair to see the view. Our stay coincided with onset of summer. It must have reached all of 22 deg C outside. My guess is that it was even warmer in our room. Heat rose up the staircase and seemed trapped in our corridor. We were even blessed with a winter weight duvet.
We made use of the swimming pool. This was fine as there were no more than 4 people in at the same time. Any more and you can forget about swimming.
An so to our biggest disappointment. Dinner on the first night was really nice. Choice of 4 main courses on the table d'hote menu - steak (at a supplement), chicken, salmon and gnocchi (the vegetarian option). I had the chicken and my wife had the salmon - both much enjoyed. Starters and desserts equally enjoyed.
On the second night, we were presented with the menu. To my amazement, there were only 2 differences from the previous night: the soup and the day and date printed on the menu. Not what I expected from an 'award winning restaurant'. I had the salmon and my wife had the chicken.
So to the third night - you're ahead of me, yes? Absolutely, exactly the same. We opted to pay extra for the steaks (well, it was the start of our holiday) and were grateful not to be vegetarian - gnocchi 3 nights in a row?
I can only imagine that the AA inspector only stayed for one night!
An early morning alarm call meant we did not sleep in on our final morning. Sadly, it was the fire alarm which went off at 5am. Most of the guests were very good natured and laughed off the 30 min stand in the rain (at least it was not cold) until the Fire Service arrived and departed without seeing any action.
These things happen and are not usually the fault of the hotel. It would have been courteous for staff to have explained the cause of the alarm to guests but staff that I spoke to said they did not know the cause.
Overall, this was a disappointment. The menu issue is a bit of a shocker. I'm sure the experience would have been better for anyone avoiding 4 or 6 rooms on the second floor in summer.
I did email the hotel to register my comments as above but have not heard anything back.
Lots to work on.

Room Tip: Don't go to the second (attic) floor.
2  Thank Greig_7