2,119 results
All reviews dobson restaurant the pub evening meal lovely hotel main restaurant lovely grounds cocktail bar spa facilities wedding party spa break executive room wedding reception cream tea master of ceremonies macdonald linden hall black pudding one night stay
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at Linden Hall for a close friends wedding and on all aspects of the wedding front, it was excellent. The hotel provided wonderful grounds for photos, an impressive foyer for drinks and a nicely separated ballroom for the wedding itself.

As for the hotel itself, the staff were very friendly at check-in. However, from first entering the bedroom I was taken aback by the heat of the room. I noticed that the towel rail was on and the window was closed, so I turned it off and opened the window hoping that would settle things. Alas it did not. The room remained unbearably hot. The window opened merely an inch or two and in the roof of the building where the room was located this was woefully inadequate.

I was woken at 3am by a fire alarm that ran for about 10 seconds before being turned off. The cause for the alarm was never explained to us but it managed to disturb the sleep of many of the wedding guests. At that point the heat of the room was intense. I called reception to raise the issue but they could offer little more than a fan because the hotel was fully booked. The fan, directed at the bed from close range, offered just enough breeze to allow sleep, but it was a long way from the peaceful night one would expect in such a high end hotel.

The following night was much the same, and yet again the hotel was fully booked so there was nothing else available. Matters were then made worse when we woke and found that the rain overnight had leaked through the light in the bathroom causing a minor flood. We informed reception and they did their best to make another room available about an hour later for us to shower.

While waiting for our shower to be available, we went for breakfast. Breakfast itself was very nice, a good ranging cold buffet and al la cart hot breakfast (full english, eggs benedict etc). Alas during breakfast I encountered another aspect of below-par service. After a wait of 20 minutes to be given the chance to order a cooked breakfast, I was served an eggs benedict that I discovered after a few bites had poached eggs that were hard boiled. I sent it back to the kitchen to be changed. It was promptly returned to me, well presented, with perfect eggs, however, the muffin, sauce and ham below them were the very same I’d sent back to the kitchen – evident by the fact that the quantity of hollandaise sauce had halved and there were parts missing from my previous bites. I found this re-arranging of the dish with new eggs on a fresh plate to be a very low move from such a classy restaurant and were it not for the fact that I’d already sent it back once I’d have raised this.

It's a real shame these few issues let down an otherwise impressive hotel and hopefully they will address them soon to bring it up to scratch.

Likes
- Impressive building
- Great for weddings
- Nice food
- Overall good service
Dislikes
- Room too hot to sleep in (thus low rating)
- Breakfast service very slow and sloppy

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are much cooler.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DrMikey24
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Firstly, we are massive fans of Macdonald Hotels, so we are very sorry to have to list this one as "average".
Linden Hall is an absolutely beautiful listed building in beautiful grounds, & has the wow factor on first impressions.
The staff were very good as usual with Macdonald Hotels & everything was very clean.
However, our standard double room seemed very cramped, but well equipped. The room was overwhelmingly hot, even when the window was open. The bed mattress sagged, so we didn't sleep well at all with this combination of searing heat & poor mattress.
Ensuite was fairly standard & clean. Only one set of toiletries, so glad that we had our own as the one set can't be shared, due to it's small size. No non slip mat in the bath, which meant asking my husband for help getting in/out of the bath to use the shower! We also had to ask for more toilet rolls, as there weren't enough in the en suite for our stay.
I had spa treatments booked whilst hubby used the swimming pool etc. Whilst the facial was good, with use of Elemis products, the head/neck massage could've been better. Quite a young therapist, who was very nice, but lacking experience, in my opinion.
Lovely relaxation room with free water/herbal teas, but with the door left ajar, it wasn't exactly quiet. You could hear everything going on at spa reception, staff talking about shift rotas, etc.
Swimming pool is on the small side, there were adequate loungers when we were there, as it was quiet. Jacuzzi was lovely, but had sand in the bottom of it. Good sauna & steam room. The whole area has a Roman/Greek theme about it & probably could do with modernising. The changing facilities in particular were dated.
Our package included dinner in the Linden Tree Pub. We would've preferred the restaurant, as the pub has a very casual atmosphere about it with menu to match. Typical pub classics, which was a disappointment. Very good quality pub classics, but with a very expensive drinks menu. A bottle of prosecco = £32.00. OUCH!!!! Very nice waiting staff, but we found this environment not to be up to the standards we expect of Macdonald Hotels.
We had breakfast in our room with late checkout, which was excellent as always.
On departure, we were presented with a bill of items that we did not purchase in the Linden Tree the night before, but this was quickly rectified.
We did mention the lack of air con in the room & poor mattress. The building cannot be fitted with air con as it is listed. We suggest that air cooling fans be provided. The receptionist said he would notify management of our complaint & would investigate the mattress issue.
It also appears there is no wheelchair access at the front of the building. The standard double room was certainly not roomy enough for a wheelchair user & the shower over bath situation quite precarious.
I hope these issues will be improved by Macdonald Hotels, as the building & grounds are stunning, & could be a credit to the hotel chain.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked executive room which turned out to be a modern box and not in the main hotel but by the Spa at the back. Service in the main restaurant was very slow with young inexperienced and untrained staff, certain dishes unavailable. Room service breakfast had missing items and replacements were also wrong. Towels not changed or room tidied properly. We tried breakfast in the dining room which was big disaster - wedding party was seated with hotel guests meaning huge delays - kitchen couldn't cope - told to go away and come back later - eventually got seated but waited 45 mins for main course! In summary hotel lacked any evidence of proper management - we got 2/3 star service at best and paid 5 star prices - poor value.

Room Tip: Check if the room is in the main hotel or the annexe at the back near to the golf shop and bar where you get told to park your car.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jubley
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Went for a spa day and afternoon tea using a Groupon deal.
The spa facilities really aren't great and they had booked so many people in there were no seats or loungers around the pool and it was impossible to use the hot tub, sauna or steam room. The pool area is very tired and I was really disappointed especially when I noticed some of the tiles in the pool are held on by tape. Changing areas also very poor.
Afternoon tea was nice, but the scones weren't cooked properly so we couldn't eat some of them. Then when we asked if we could add a glass of prosecco to the afternoon tea at £5 a glass as stated in the deal, I was told we would have to pay full price as I had not pre-booked the glasses of prosecco. On checking the deal this is not what it says, so I was charged an extra £1.75 per glass than I should have been.
It's such a shame as the setting and the exterior of the hotel are beautiful, but was sadly let down by a tired interior and poor service from the member of staff who served us afternoon tea.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Ash131181
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Extremely good value hotel - there are pre-book bargains to be had - particularly if you like good food. The menu is not large but the food is extremely well assembled and served.

Extremely helpful staff and good facilities.