2,110 results
All reviewsdobson restaurantthe pubevening meallovely hotelmain restaurantlovely groundscocktail barspa facilitieswedding partyspa breakexecutive roomwedding receptioncream teamaster of ceremoniesmacdonald linden hallblack puddingone night stay
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Recently returned from a 4 night break which was to celebrate my husbands birthday. We were disappointed with the size of the room and it was very hot. The first night we were woken at 5am in the morning by a rattling noise, it was intermitant and despite a search of the room could not locate where the noise was coming from. We eventually found the source of the noise it was a light fitting above the bath that was loose. We had to have the window open to try and keep the room cool and when the wind blew the light fitting rattled. Despite reporting the faulty light fitting on two occasions this did not get resolved while we were there. On one of the days that we went out we could not get into our room the key card would not work, fortunately a member of staff was on hand to let us into our room, we then had to go back down to reception to get the cards to work. The breakfasts were very nice and the staff were friendly. We only ate in the restaurant on my husbands birthday which was very nice, the rest of the time we ate in the on site pub. Unfortunately we were also woken on one of the other nights because of someone in the room above being noisy. We did enjoy our stay but we would not return because of the amount of restrictions there were placed as regards to reservations on everything, we like to be able to be spontaneous when we are on holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor so that you do not get noise above.
1  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for a relaxing break away in the Northumberland countryside. The hotel is very grand and the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The room was nice and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and was made all the more enjoyable by the lovely view out of the window the from our table. The spa area was dated and could do with being renovated but it was nice to relax in the jacuzzi all the same. Overall, an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NicolaT2986
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We were treated like royalty from start to finish. We arrived early, but we could check-in, our cases were taken away to be taken up to the room when it was ready. So we had a drink in the bar/lounge, after a very short time we were told our room was ready. Everything in the room was perfect, clean tidy and spacious. After getting ready we went down for our evening meal, starting in the bar for a pre-dinner drink, we were given the menu to choose, so many choices it took time to be ready. Our order was taken, and after a short time with nuts and olives to nibble we were called into the restaurant. Everything we had chosen was well cooked and presented and tasted wonderful. We felt we had plenty of time between courses but no long waits.We both had good nights sleeps in the comfortable bed and the next morning breakfast was great with plenty of choice. All the staff in the hotel were very helpful,always asking if we needed anything ,could they help. We came away feeling relaxed and pampered.
Don't do what I did and forgot the swimming costumes as the pool area looked very good.

1  Thank patsylandin
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel definitely has some staff quality issues, as others have mentioned the staff are conspicuous with their absence!
In addition the breakfast service was poor and we had to wait around 10 mins to be seated even though not busy.
We did not get the room we had booked through central reservations and the hotel inferred this overbooking was common, so do check with hotel direct !
We were downgraded to a standard room but not told !
This hotel just doesn't warrant the prices and quality it projects.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind paying £4.50 for a coffee and having to wait 10 mins for it
Also the free wifi was a pain to set up with an iPad

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking golf course are good
3  Thank Jcpg45
Reviewed 19 August 2014

From the outside it looked superb but from the moment we set foot inside it went downhill. A catalogue of simple errors left a bad taste in the mouth and yet it has so much to offer if properly managed
1) Room was set into an attic space. There are at least 4 such rooms which frankly should be set to cupboard space. The eaves encroach so much the head height is restricted and you can (and we did) bang our heads on the low hanging ceiling.
2) Water pressure was awful. We ran the cold tap 45 minutes before it would run semi cold.
3) Shower pressure very low, dribbled out at very low speed and heat
4) No Wi-Fi in rooms, only public areas, about 10 yrs behind the times
5) Stifling hot in room, fan worked but was FILTHY. Room itself had dirty walls and stains on carpet.
6) Bar staff were missing and when reception were asked to find someone we waited 10 minutes and no one appeared. I summoned someone myself from the restaurent them complained to reception. She couldn't seem to care less but said she would 'have a word with them'. Staff overheard talking about a mass staff walkout (very unprofessional)
7) Linden Hall pub staff - again, couldn't seem to be bothered with customers who appeared a nuisance to them. Outside area plagued with wasps. Big wasps nest evident on corner of building but no one had thought to remove it.
8) Spa - no pricelist displayed showing what was available. I asked for one and staff seemed bewildered that I should ask for one and asked if she could email me one. Given point number 4) I suggested not. She said she would print me one and did which took a while
9) Gym - for such a large hotel, tiny and very few machines
10) Dining - nice rooms but way too small for so many people. Tables run out quickly. Food and service generally good. Would help to have some menus in public areas so people can peruse. I asked for a menu to look at and and waiter too fully ten minutes to bring me one during which time he cleared glasses

That's our list of ten without really thinking too hard. Save your hard earned money and spend it elsewhere would be my advice.

Room Tip: Avoid upper floor
4  Thank t0nyw1962