“Entrance didn't do my room justice.”
Review of The Morpeth Inn

The Morpeth Inn
Ranked #6 of 29 Morpeth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The entrance to Morpeth Lodge was a bit poor.. Décor could be better and looks a wee bit tired. But, My room was immaculate. Bathroom was one of the cleanest I have seen in a long time and had a sizable shower cubicle, which was free from any sign that it had been used at all. TV, Coffee and tea. Clean, comfy bed with 4 pillows, for those of us who may want more than 1! Breakfast was a bit of a let down.. Only because I asked for a poached egg, to be told they just did fried or scrambled, and bacon was what I would say, "twice cooked" ! I know this as I come from a Hotel background. But, as much fruit juice, tea, coffee, toast or cereal you could eat. So overall, very good!

Room Tip: Room 16 looks out to the car park with no noise from the street!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I don't get chance to review that much any more (new dad), but was very surprised at a couple of reviews on this b&b. This b&b is very much budget and good luck to anyone who can find any hotel or hostel in our around morpeth that is anywhere near the value of this place. It's a well run, friendly place that is great value for money. Positioned in the heart of morpeth with ample parking. If you want a fine dining experience with high class furniture, book into linden Hall, and pay through your nose!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here with friends on a motorcycling trip. We were met by the lovely lady of the establishment with a huge smile, she is certainly a good looking lass and a delight to converse with. We were shown to our rooms (two doubles between the four of us) and which, at first glance were clean and obviously well kept with all the details existing (en suite shower and toilet etc) that marks a good house. The room also had tea and coffee etc plus TV and was easily spacious enough for the two of us and allowed us to move around without stepping over each other etc. This residence is in a quietish area of the Town and sleep was therefore undisturbed. We did not try the breakfast here (other arrangements were at hand) but I understand from other guests that it was as good as breakfast comes. Parking is in a private area at the rear of the property and is secure enough.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SteveAtkinson
Reviewed 17 June 2011

i was booked in for a week here but on arrival i quickly changed it to one night. The front door of this place is not a door, its hanging beads which to be honest sets the standard for the interior. I wont go into detail about the black binbag full of stinking rubbish left at the front door. My room was brown and yellow, the bedsheets were like something from an Icelandic 1960s movie and the bed was more like a childs single. The walls are thin and the shower head was too heavy for its holder. Thankfully the other people staying werent too noisey, however i did wake up to find the netting had fallen from the window and that people outside would have been able to peek in. The room, being distasteful was very clean, with exception to the red chair
I refused to pay any more than £40, this was before seeing the room, when told that it was £45 and AFTER i paid i was told i did not get a breakfast. £40 a night for a single bed in a room which was cold and from a time warp with no breakfast is a pure and simple rip off!!
To be honest the only good thing about this place was the girl that checked me in as she was very friendly...but did look a little embarrassed when she saw my face at the sight of the room. I shall await the cheeky reply on here from the owners as the other poor ratings have got, however i have been honest. The single room, without breakfast should only be charged around £25, as thats what it would be worth.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Gordie1876
Reviewed 2 June 2011

My stay lasted 5 nights. When I arrived, I was helped with my luggage and made to feel welcome. My room was a single with en-suite. The room was large for a single, with a decent sized bathroom. It was all very clean. The only slight downside was the window looking onto the local pub, although this caused me no bother (with the double-glazed window shut, little noise got in). The upside being that the local pub is quite literally a stones throw away!
Morpeth Lodge is well situated, just outside of the town center. There is a large supermarket very close by. The main routes to places outside the town are an easy drive away.
Breakfast consists of a choice of cooked items made to order and a buffet table with help yourself cereal, toast, tea, coffee etc. When I was ready, my order was taken for a full English breakfast. It was excellent. Considering the Lodge was full that morning, I was pleasantly surprised how quick it was .
They provide wireless internet connection in the lodge which was very useful. It worked at a good speed and was reliable.
I cannot fault my stay there and would definitely recommend it to anyone.
Clean, friendly and good value!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Stayed here in September 2010 when attending a wedding in Morpeth. The location was ideal for travelling by train - just 10-15 mins walk taking in the river en route. :) lovely.

Room was exactly what I expected, spacious and warm.

Recommended for a stay if u don't mind the basics done very well. Breakfast was cooked to order and very tasty.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank tubagroova
Reviewed 3 September 2010

This 'hotel' is dark, grim and extremely depressing. The decor and plumbing ( I have never heard a toilet flush so loudly) has not been updated since the early 70's if not the late 60's. It is nothing more than a very expensive hostel!!! Breakfast......... well what can I say.......... if you are there at the right time and the owner can be bothered to actually hoist himself out of bed.... he told me that he cannot get up in the morning , you may be in luck. If not, like me will leave the premises hungry. But customer satisfaction does not appear high on the owners agenda. Also, if like me you are not accustomed to high levels of traffic noise (and I mean heavy goods vehicles and emergency services all night long) even with the windows closed you will not sleep. The 'Hotel', a term I use loosely, is absolutely awful and I strongly suggest you find another venue to spend your time in Morpeth. I could go on and on but there is little point as the place is so dreadful it is not worth bothering with.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
petermaylia, Manager at The Morpeth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2010

I can't help feeling a hint of sour grapes here as this guest stayed with us for 3 weeks monday till wednesday inclusive, surely after the first week or even the first night she would have not come back. This guest was on a special deal and failed to mention that she wanted a cooked breakfast at 6.20am every morning when clearly our breakfast start time is 7am. I offered this guest continental as the breakfast room opened at 6.20am but no she would only eat cooked breakfast. On occation I had to be in early for the full paying guests and was able to give her her cooked breakfast with lightly done eggs at 6.20am so she just expected it every morning after that even though she eccepted the bill with the breakfast's excluded. The final week when she was leaving she said she would let us know if she needed the room the following week but made no contact. We at Morpeth Lodge are renowned for our customer service you only have to look at our notice board or listen to what our guests have to say as they leave.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morpeth
Premier Inn Ashington Hotel
#26 of 29 in Morpeth
Waterford Lodge Hotel
Waterford Lodge Hotel
#27 of 29 in Morpeth

Been to The Morpeth Inn? Share your experiences!