“Never again”

Northumberland Arms
Ranked #3 of 101 Restaurants in Morpeth
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A fully re-furbished 1820's Coaching Inn, originally built by the 3rd Duke of Northumberland. Beautiful bar, lounge and restaurant, immaculately decorated and next to the River Coquet. Six luxury en-suite rooms, accredited 4 Star Gold by Visit Britain/Quality in Tourism. A la Carte Restaurant Open 7 days a week Breakfast 8.30Am to 10.30Am for residents and by request Brunch 10am until 12 noon Lunch Menu: 12 noon to 3pm Light Grazing Menu: 3-6pm Restaurant Open for Dinner: 6pm to 9pm and 9.30pm Friday/Saturday Sunday Lunch: 12 noon to 8pm For Reservations please call
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Never again”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for 2 pm today and we sat down to be served at 3 15. Food arrived at 20 to 4. There were 8 of us and while the lamb eaters were happy with their lamb. My turkey was bland and the gravy tasteless. The cheese board was stingy sized and it was served with margarine that tasted of block stork cooking marg to add to this it was served cold not at room temperature .oh they were sorry for our long wait. But not sorry enough to give us a complimentary drink !! Quite disgusting really when we waited an hour and a half to order . They clearly were over booked bad management skills. Please don't try to squeeze dinners in as waiting an hour and a half to be seated is not acceptable. I for one will not be back

2 Thank Neenybeany
Kris B, Owner at Northumberland Arms, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thanks for taking time to let us know about your experience on Sunday.
It's disappointing for us to hear that you were not satisfied with the service you received.
The team are aware of your comments and as always we will endeavour to improve.
I would appreciate If you would like to call me to discuss, as it would be great if you would come back and give The Northumberland Arms another try.

Kind Regards
Kris

Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Fantastic Service”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Had heard about this place from friends although knew of its existence for ages.
My wife and I managed to get in without a booking( very lucky I understand) for Sunday evening dinner. We had been given glowing recommendations and I must say we were not disappointed. I had the rare sirloin beef and my wife the turkey crown both with accompanying vegetables. Cooked to perfection and the veg was steamed just so. Full of flavour. I had the sticky toffee pudding to follow and it was simply sublime. Gorgeous fluffy sponge with a sauce that tasted like liquid Devon toffee. Fantastic.
We will both be back to sample their wares again. The service was superb too. 5 stars.

Kris B, Owner at Northumberland Arms, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Amazing review and much appreciated. Hope you'll be back again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Is it a 4 really....”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing place from the outside, and a well decorated place throughout on the inside. We have passed this place many times, and finally took the plunge to pop in and have a meal, well we managed to get a table after someone cancelled last minute....thanks whoever you are. Excellent service by the girls, fresh bread brought to the table with a bottle of water, are we being charged for this without asking???
Anyway trawling through the menu, I went for the scallop in breadcrumbs with bacon and pea purée starter, followed by the massive cod and chips, the wife chose the salmon with lemon and dill sauce.
Food arrived after about 10 mins wait, which wasn't bad at all. Unfortunately the scallops tasted more like fish fingers, overpowered by the breadcrumbs, bacon and pea purée was excellent. So a little disappointed to say the least. Main course arrived with chips you could die for, amazing tasted like oven cooked or double fried, however the fish was tasteless, now this is what most of the cod is like at the moment, whether it's because it's been frozen and not fresh, who knows. However my wife's meal was excellent, well cooked salmon and a beautiful sauce to go with it. This is my review based on the night, other food going out onto other tables were looking amazing, chops, duck, meat platters. I am sure the rest would be amazing, sorry my review was negative. I will go back again at some point.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank M2bfx
Kris B, Owner at Northumberland Arms, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your positive comments with constructive feedback. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind Regards
Kris
Alnwick, United Kingdom
1,023 restaurant reviews
“Lovely location, good quality food and service”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This pub/restaurant is in a lovely location in the village adjacent to the river. The atmosphere is very welcoming and the place is clean and well appointed. The restaurant gets exceedingly busy as people come from the locality and from further afield because of its good reputation, so reservations are really important. The menu is comprehensive and includes seafood platters, various fish as well as an expected range of 'mains'. Vegetarian options are disappointingly limited. The food is well cooked and of good quality. Service is friendly and efficient. Prices are not cheap but the overall experience is very good.

• Visited July 2014
Kris B, Owner at Northumberland Arms, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your positive comments. Just to let you know I am currently in the process of evaluating and expanding our offering of vegetarian dishes; so keep an eye on our website and hopefully very soon, we will be able to delight our vegetarian diners as well.

Alnmouth, United Kingdom
“Faultless, we thought....”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Popped in one night, too late for main meal but offered the grazing menu ,which was excellent and some decent real ales.
Recently refurbished to a high standard, and a massive improvement from what is was.
Decided to revisit for a proper meal and was not disappointed. Excellent attentive service , food was delicious and well presented.Great value for three courses, wine and drinks as well as coffee, £75.
Having recently paid an extortionate amount at the Silk Rooms in Newcastle, this was so refreshing and so much better. No extra payments for accompanying vegetables here.
Really good value, and service, go see for yourself . Nicely done out, don't think you will have anything to complain about.
Oh, my wife also passed comment on the ladies toilets seem as though some one's tape measure was out!

1 Thank TrevitTreels
Kris B, Owner at Northumberland Arms, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Faultless is what I like to hear!! - so glad you enjoyed your meal and hopefully we'll see you again soon. I note your comments regarding the loos!