“Good food”

Price range: US$7 - US$11
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Visited twice during the week. Food was good - the strawberry jam with the toasted tea cake was wonderful - a family recipe & still made bu grandmother. Service was good. Free refills with coffee,
Bought meat from the butchers & some of the best steak we have had. Home produced ham was wonderful.
Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

visited shop while stopping at local caravan site.although we didn't make a purchase this time we intended to return later in the week.when leaving our 3 year old wanted to use the loo.we asked in the coffee shop only to be told no by who seemingly was the owner as she operates a business not a charity.first time we have ever been told we can't use a loo anywhere for the children.neednless to say we won't be returning later in week.

7  Thank NewbsWashington_UK
CountryB, Owner at The Country Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

I'm writing in response to your review regarding the usage of toilets at The Country Barn. You were refused access to the customer toilets on site as that is exactly who they are intended for- paying customers. I asked if you were buying anything to which you answered no so I went on to explain that our toilets are solely for the use of on site customers. I suggested you could buy a take away drink ( which could have cost you as little as 50p) but you refused to do this. I think you will find this practice in any business - and usually it is accompanied by a notice to explain this. I would like to correct what you said - you claim I said I was running a business not a charity. What I actually said this is a business not public toilet centre. This was said to you after you had taken offence to me asking you to merely buy a take away drink to qualify becoming a customer which in turn would have allowed you free access to use the toilets. This is actually where the phrase 'spend a penny actually comes from'. Thank you

Reviewed 30 August 2013

bank holiday Monday ( last one til Christmas) arrived 3 45 pm to be told they shut at 4pm, but we could have a cup of tea, tho no food. That was fine except the minute we got our tea we were told by the same person to drink up ! not good customer service. They should have put a cover on the outside sign to say they were closed, instead they turned away several more customers. Last time we stop there.

2  Thank geordiegirl24
CountryB, Owner at The Country Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to write a comment regarding your recent visit to The Country Barn Ltd. It was actually myself that served you.

I cannot confirm whether it was yourself I spoke to when you came in or another of your party of 4, but I did clearly advise I was still more than happy to serve you with drinks or cakes from the counter but that we would be closing at 4pm. There is also a sign on the main door as you enter that states our opening and closing times on bank holidays and all our literature details our times on Bank Holidays are those of a Sunday 10-4pm.
A member of your party was happy to proceed with the order of teas and confirmed they had heard me say we close at 4pm.
At 4pm I did advise you we were now closed and if you could kindly finish your drinks. After going next door to lock up the farm shop ready for all the staff to finish their shift, I came back to find you were still sitting at the table continuing to top up your cups of tea. I again had to ask you to finish up your drinks as I was needing to lock up the shop.
I'm sorry if you felt you weren't given enough time to drink your tea, but I must stress the closing time of the shop was clearly given to you before you chose to continue with your order and again it is clearly displayed on the door of the shop before you enter.

With this in mind I find it extremely unfair of you to make such a harsh comment as poor customer service?
Regards
Sarah Annett

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I had Sunday lunch with my family, three adults and five children. Fantastic service. Lunch was lovely, the only down side was the price of soft drinks for the children, which made it quite expensive. However food and staff was great.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Lunch for 4 - sandwiches, 1 plate of chips and drinks =£34.
Quality poor, crisps stale and chips undercooked.
Shame, it used to be good. Won't be going back.

4  Thank Wonkybird