“Opening Weekend”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Goats On The Roof
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was our first visit to Goats on the Roof, near Morpeth. I was very impressed by the lovely setting, although was a little dismayed not to see a herd of naughty goats chucking scorn down on the visitors, not even a kid blowing raspberries was to be seen.

We discovered however, that the goats had, in the past, pulled some of the vital greenery off the roof and the new owners were giving the roof a chance to replenish itself before the goats were allowed back on the roof. I just love the fact that the goats will just eat anything!!

It is a great job they are not allowed inside, as there would have plenty to nosh upon in gorgeous surroundings. It has a warm, airy, modern, Scandanavian feel about it, coupled with lovely coffee, great cakes and tray bakes and the offer of soup & butties, and tasty sounding lunches. We sat at the far end, where there is a comfy sofa and small tables for the small ones, with books and colouring pads & pens. The walls are covered in colourful original paintings by a local artist [albeit pretty pricey] it makes a lovely setting for a relaxed coffee with friends.

We visited late in the afternoon, following a walk around the Fontburn resevoir, [approx 5km] and our own picnic. We didn't realise what was on offer at GOTR, if we had we may not have taken such an expansive picnic. But we were certainly ready for a coffee and cake.

We didn't sit outside on the massive, near enough wrap around balcony, as we spotted some friends inside. But we could easily imagine sitting on the balcony in the warmer summer months overlooking Fontburn Resevoir, in the peace and natural beauty of Northumberland.

It is heartening to see young, enthusiastic people making the tourist [and locals] offering of good food, drink and ambiance available in such a novel and beguiling way.

[I didn't notice whether there was wheelchair access, buggy parking or lockers/storage - mainly because I didn't need any and wasn't looking for them]

2  Thank Showey

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Heard there was new owners at GOTR, so we popped in to see what it was like and enjoyed a nice lunch here on Saturday. These people really seem to know what they are doing! I really wish this place could get a drinks licence, it would be lovely to have a beer on the veranda in the Summer! Also, could do with a bit more in the outdoor kids play area.

2  Thank r0yst0n_vasey
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Visited a busy Goats on the Roof for its 2014 season reopening day on a sunny Good Friday lunchtime and was impressed by the gorgeous location and warm welcome by Jill and Jessica who have just taken over. Enjoyed a nice omelette overlooking Fontburn Reservoir and the surrounding countryside then popped outside to see the goats (who weren't on the roof today) and lambs. There are tables outside and a small play area for the kids too. Worth a visit for the view alone!

4  Thank Geordieglobetrotters
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Went for morning coffee at 10am Thurdsay, as per the advertised opening times. Gates chained and padlocked. Thinking opening times may be les tham exact, we waited for a quite a while.

When it was apparent that GOTR was not going to open we had to admit defeat and travel to Rothbury instead.

Having looked belatedly at other reviews on tripadvisor, I think we have missed nothing..

1  Thank biggeordie_11