“A Jewel”

Treasure Room
Price range: US$24 - US$33
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Next door to the Black Door Restaurant.
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was the first time in 10 years that we have been to the Treasure Room, as a previous bad experience had deterred us. What a mistake to make!
Firstly the ambiance; the restaurant is nicely decorated in a contemporary style with ample seating. Perhaps table cloths rather than polished table tops would have added a little something, but there again that is a personal choice. However cloth napkins were used which I always like to see. The restaurant was nice and warm on a chilly March night. The toilets were excellent with hot water.
The Food; we opted for the special menu (available Tuesday to Friday) which gave an excellent choice of starters and (over 15) and main courses (at least 10).
The deal was unlimited food although you could only order three at a time per head. Similarly the main course was unlimited with a maximum of two to be ordered at a time. You may think that this would lead to mean portions’ being served this was not the case, if any thing a little on the large side.
You also had the option of soup to start and included rice or noodles.
The food was served in a timely manner; we were not rushed in any way. The quality of the food was extremely good. The spring rolls (always a good bench mark) certainly seemed to have been freshly made and consequently was crisp and fresh, not the mush often served elsewhere. We had crispy duck and pancakes, tempura prawns, spare ribs, Thai fish cakes, prawn toast… the list goes on. All without exception were cook to a very high standard. The main courses also well cook and nicely presented. Possible had had too many starters to properly appreciate. If you are someone like me, who always prefers starters to main courses this is the place to go.
The service was charming and efficient but unobtrusive. The restaurant was not that busy and the two waitresses were more than enough.
We have used the Mulan previously and found it to be considerable more expensive than the Treasure Room.
We will certainly be returning in the near future

1  Thank Osters

Reviewed 25 February 2014

friendly helpfull staff , good very tasty food in a nice tidy and quiet atmosphere great for a lil nite out in piece

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Came for a family meal on a busy Saturday night and was pleasantly surprised, as this was my first visit. The staff were friendly and very helpful, although it was busy staff did regular checks on the table, refilling wine and checking we were all okay with our food. As for the food, I can say it was the best Chinese I've had, you could tell everything was made fresh, full of flavour. I can highly recommend this restaurant, it may only be a fraction cheaper than Mulan but the service and quality of food make it worth it! I can safely say I will be returning for a sit down meal, or even getting a takeaway !!

1  Thank AnneRoberts68
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We've been to the tresure rooms a few times. The meals arn't amazing but we have always enjoyed them as they have been well served with good service.

This time it would appear the place has new owners. While the food still tastes good and is very filling, the atmosphere inside did drop a bit but maybe that was because we had an early meal at 7pm and not later as usual. As we made our way throught the chef special the place did start to fill.

The service was good and staff very friendly. My only issue was the lack of table space with the build up of empty glasses; they didn't seem to want to clear them. Not really an issue just something I want to bring to their attention.

Regardless of that, I enjoyed the meal, everything was served in perfect timing. It didn't come out so quick as to feel rushes, and we didn't feel like we were waiting ages for the next course. My sister is a fussy eater and was pleased to see the staff happy to make alterations to the 'chef's special'.

Feel sorry for the bad reviews this place gets. It's a nice place with good food and the right price. Would always go back.

2  Thank DavidBNorthumberland
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The Treasure Room is a lovely, quiet venue and the staff are always very pleasant. The food is fresh and delicious and isn't as pricey as The Mulan up the road.

Will be regulars at this establishment for sure!

1  Thank RWilkinson444