“Lovely pub”

Add it.
The Forge Inn Ulgham near Morpeth
Ranked #79 of 103 Restaurants in Morpeth
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Went to this pub the other day and was immediately struck by the lovely smell in the porch. The window sill was full of beautiful geraniums. Went into the bar where the landlord made us feel very welcome. I must say how clean the place was, even the tankards on the ceiling were without dust. After a while the regulars started to arrive and the pub came alive. One of the regulars took us to see the stunning garden. She also told us that the meals there were good especially sunday lunch Good luck to you both on your lovely village pub.

1  Thank Lynne H

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I've never been spoken to more rudely by a business-owner before. What an angry man!

We rang The Forge Inn this morning (bank holiday Monday) to see if there was any room in their restaurant. They were not serving food, but as we were spending the day in the lovely village of Ugham, our party still met up at the pub. We had bought some snacks from a supermarket with a view to either having a drink and eating in the beer garden, or else taking a walk and picnicking that way.
Once at the pub we ASKED PERMISSION to bring in our own food as the pub was not serving food, the only outside area was next to the road, and were told this was not a problem. The pub was empty. We bought a round of drinks (alcoholic; not just soft drinks or tap waters I might add) and settled down in a corner to enjoy them. After a few minutes I returned to the bar to ask for a small glass of water, for my baby, as I had forgotten her drink. I was told, "this is not a charity"... Despite assuming this comment was a joke, I said that I would pay for the water if it was a problem. The man at the bar (the only staff member we saw whilst there) fetched me a glass of tap water and added, "I don't know where some of you people think you're coming from."
I was a little aghast but returned to my party at which point we decided to pack up and leave immediately.
Obviously the bar man/owner is a very angry man. When 'thanked' on our way out he explained a little further by adding that he "had to make a living" and we had only spent £6 - apart from the fact that it is an obligation to provide tap water to paying customers, we may have gone on the have many more rounds of drinks, and were meeting other friends who were going to join us in the pub. It is no wonder that the pub was completely empty.
I work with teenagers and yet I have never been spoken to so UNJUSTIFIABLY RUDELY by anyone before.
As a local, I maintain that the vast majority of places in Northumberland are famed for their friendly service, and the village itself is charming. But this pub seriously needs a personality transplant - or perhaps just the guy who 'served' us so begrudgingly.

17  Thank Rosie W
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Was told he didn't want a group of us in. Bearing in mind we are in our 40's and 60's. Pub rarely open. Don't know why the landlord doesn't just sell it to someone who could make it the great village pub the villagers want.

12  Thank Joyelizabeth1
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Decided to have lunch on our journey down the A1. Found this country pub online. Arrived quite late(2.10pm) but the staff were pleased to serve us. It was good pub food...not gastropub fare... But just what we required. Very reasonable to say the least!

1  Thank GillGood
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our meal at The Forge Inn.Friendly pub and good service.
Lovely Sirloin steak with peppercorn sauce.Would recommend .