“Fantastic..!!!”

Ranked #2 of 30 Morpeth B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“Fantastic..!!!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Where do I start with this review.? Well I had read the previous reviews on Birchwood House via TripAdvisor, but was still surprised at how fantastic this place actually is.
Firstly Gaye, a brilliant example to all in the customer service, retail and supply industries of how to deal with your guests/customers. Her communication skills are excellent, she is very friendly, highly efficient and nothing is too much trouble for her.
I was welcomed by Gaye with a pot of tea and cake in the massive visitors lounge. This lounge contained a pool table, card games, books and maps, large dining table and a TV. I was shown to my huge, extremely well presented and furnished room, with massive lavish bathroom and shower. Also in my room was a modern tea and coffee making facility. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower very effective.

Breakfast, wow. A huge choice of continental style breakfast with cereals, fresh fruits, yoghurts, cheeses, breads and fruit juices. As well as your choice of cooked breakfast.!! Full English for me, but if you fancy the local kippers just remember to book it the day before. The excellent full english hit the spot, together lashings of tea/coffee set me up for my long journey back. Sadly I only had the opportunity to spend a few short hours at Birchwood House, using it as a stop over due a late night function that I was working at. However, whenever I am in the area again, I will never look any further for accommodation than Birchwood House. Highly recommended. Thank you again Gaye for your hospitality and flexibility.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BiffainBirmingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Glasgow
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from two days at this lovely B&B. The owner, Gaye, could not have been more helpful, even greeting us with fresh coffee and cake on our arrival. The room was huge, well- furnished, with a fantastic en-suite bathroom - very high quality furnishings throughout. The bed was very comfortable and the setting is very peaceful - I slept like a log. The breakfast buffet was extensive and delicious, as were the cooked options. It is well placed for exploring the area - lovely gardens at Howick Hall and Alnwick Castle is nearby too. We attended the Brinkwood Priory music festival - recommended for those who enjoy classical music, as we do. There is a pub within walking distance which serves good food, apparently, though we didn't have time to try it out (our fellow guests were singing its praises, though).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AudT
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My partner & I have just returned home from a 3 night stay at Birchwood House & it is one of, if not the best B&B we have stayed in. In fact it was much nicer than some hotels we have stayed in. It is an ideal location for visiting Alnwick Castle, Cragside, Keilder & the beautiful Northumberland Coast & Countryside.
Our room was large, spotlessly clean & the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was very spacious & beautifully appointed. Gaye was fantastic, & couldn't have been more friendly, helpful & accommodating, providing a tray of tea & cake each day on our arrival back after long days out sight seeing. You get a huge choice of breakfast items & the cooked breakfast is excellent, my partner had to ask for a smaller portion.
Thank you Gaye for being such a warm, friendly & helpful host & for making my return to the area where I grew up so enjoyable.
Vida & John

Room Tip: Room on the ground floor helpful due to not having to carry cases up stairs. All rooms seem to be qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
luci62, Owner at Birchwood House, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thankyou so much for taking the time to give us such a fantastic review! it was lovely meeting you both
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The whole booking process with Gaye was fantastic, she is extremely helpful and an excellent host! The B&B itself is beautiful, the best we have ever stayed in. The rooms are luxurious and have everything you need. A bonus to us on arrival was the discovery of the pool table for our use in the living room - also for our use! Gaye greeted us on arrival with home made cakes - yum!
The breakfast was fantastic and we couldn't have asked for more.
If we are ever in this area again we would definitely stay here and highly recommend this place for anyone looking to stay in the area.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 1 but i imagine all of the rooms are just as fantastic here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
luci62, Owner at Birchwood House, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thankyou Laura, pleased that you enjoyed staying here and that you had a great time at the wedding at Alnwick Gardens!
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband, teenage daughter and myself went to a family wedding at Eshott Hall, unfortunately we were unable to find accommodation as it was fully booked. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. My husband found Birchwood House on the internet and we could not believe the reviews thinking they were too good to be true, this was not the case. This beautiful, modern accommodation was perfect. From the moment we arrived Gaye's service and care was simply outstanding. She was very attentive but not overbearing and went out of her way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Our room was wonderful with the most comfortable beds to sleep in. There was a spacious lounge with TV, pool table, teas, coffee and free parking outside the door. Gaye ran us to Eshott Hall which was fantastic and more than we could have hoped for.
Next day there was plenty of choice for breakfast, cold buffet which would have put Nigella Lawson to shame, the cooked breakfast was to die for. The service was second to none and I would not hesitate to recommend this B & B to anyone. Five Star Hotels should take note this is how looking after people is done.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
luci62, Owner at Birchwood House, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Birchwood house, and to all other reviewers also, we really appreciate your comments and they do seem to help others with their choice of accommodation . We don't profess to be perfect but we try hard!
We are a 'working' family home and run our civil engineering business from here also, we are close to the A1 but that does not have any noise impact on our guest rooms which are to the rear of the property.
your reviews are important to us, thank you most sincerely for your kind words
Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The owner Gaye could not have been more helpful and welcoming.
If you have any access needs like myself you couldn’t ask for a more helpful B&B. The rooms are large and its easy to get a wheelchair around it. I was able to borrow a bath seat which allowed me the treat of having a bath.
Beds are large and very comfy, I slept really well. The bathrooms are new and have fancy lights and shower.
The breakfast spread was the largest I've seen in a B&B, and with no set time for breakfast it felt very relaxed.
Don't be put off with it being so near the A1, we couldn’t hear it. Or by the fact when you come in there is industrial/farming equipment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Quorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Gaye, the owner simply cannot do any more. This place is top notch. Warm welcome, tea/coffee cakes and scones(all complementary) in the huge ,well furnished lounge and the largest most sumptously equipped en-suite bedrooms you could wish for. Gaye dropped us at the local pub (Cook & Barker which is also brilliant) for dinner and would willingly have returned for us had we not wanted to walk the one mile down a quiet road back to the B&B. Her husband dropped us off back on our walking route, St Oswald's Way, the following morning after an excellent breakfast.This place is as good as you will get and value for money is off the scale.

Room Tip: They all look very good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morpeth
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Newminster Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Northumberland Cottage
Northumberland Cottage
#4 of 30 in Morpeth

Been to Birchwood House? Share your experiences!