“Lovely food.”
Review of The Sun Inn

The Sun Inn
Ranked #18 of 106 Restaurants in Morpeth
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: This is a lovely little restaurant
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Fab place for food. The Sunday lunches are great. Only complaint is its so popular it can get a little warm in there so the answer is to go an hour or two later when there's less people there.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Tried to book Sunday lunch for 13:00 but was told 13:30 was closest available which I accepted. So I drove slowly and we arrived at 13:16 (our table was not quite ready) but we were given menus and we each had a pint of bombardier (nice). We were seated by 13:22 and our order was immediately taken arriving less than 10 mins later. We both had lamb which was delicious with almost no fat! It was served with 3 lovely roasters and lots of gravy (and we were offered sauces we chose mint which was lovely).
I am a glutton for veg and was very surprised to find 6 more were then served to us in plentiful quantities, and nicely cooked, which even I struggled to finish.

All the staff were quick and very polite and the décor was nice.

1  Thank StevieCrozier
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have previously reviewd this restaurant much more favourably but, having visited again yesterday evening (Saturday) I felt a new one was in order in case I sway others!

Yesterday evening the place was less than half full, on our previous mid week visit it was buzzing so i do not know if this is an ongoing drop in standfards. Unfortunately the choice was our recommendation to our 4 adult family members.

The service was excellent - we all had various alterations to our choices and these were all dealt iwth efficiently and in a friendly way - and this continued all evening - however, they were let down by the food.

The good: my sister really enjoyed her lamb shank as did her brother in law his steak, the chicken Caesar salad was declared typical of pub food standard.

The bad news: the other person who had steak, and always chooses it when he goes out, found it so tough he left most of it - unheard of! Two of us chose the burger and it had been overcooked - not terribly, but enough to make it dry an we both left a fair bit.

Back to good: two of us never eat dessert but all 4 of the others really enjoyed their choices and they were very generous portions.

It was especially a shame as the person who left the steak had gone there on our recommendation to see if it would be a good place to hold his 70th birthday meal - that idea has, needless to say, been rejected.

It is a real pity!

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We stopped at the Sun Inn to break the journey from Yorkshire to Esinburgh. We had a baguette and a ciabatta and shared some goats cheese on Mediterranean vegetables, while our two-year-old had sausage and mash. The sandwiches were generously filled and came with a huge portion of tasty homemade chips and salad, much bigger than I would have expected for the price. The goats cheese and veg were very good too. Our child's sausage and mash was nicely presented. I also thought the coffee was good and reasonably sensibly priced. The bar staff were very friendly, and overall I'd highly recommend the Sun Inn.

1  Thank Nick K
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We visited for Sunday lunch this weekend. The service was friendly but at times in unorganised. The waitress brought the incorrect meals but this was quickly resolved. The food was plentiful but nothing special. The tempura prawns were over cooked and had far too much batter. The vegetables with the Sunday lunches were excellent and well cooked but the meats were poor, particularly the beef.

We would return if in the area but wouldn't rush back. Staff were very friendly but there was a lack in food quality.