“Lovely!”

Dining options: Breakfast
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Mam and I popped into this most quaint little cafe in the centre of Morpeth for breakfast before our feeding of the local ducks. This place is bang in the centre of Morpeth, but as it's located down a little lane you feel wonderfully isolated from the traffic. It's a charming if small establishment which was almost full at 11:00 on New Year's Eve. We waited to be seated and the very friendly waitress asked mam and I to take a seat on a table set for four. This was a nice touch as it showed that they put the customer first. We ordered a bacon and mushroom sandwich (for mam) and a full English for me. Mam likes her bacon very well done and the waitress said this would not be a problem. My breakfast consisted of 2 of the following: eggs (proper runny yolk) bacon, sausage (good quality Northumberland pork) and toast. Plus beans, canned tomato, fried mushrooms a slice of black pud and a fried slice. Coffee or tea is included in the price. The breakfast was excellent and each component part was done perfectly. Coffee (I ordered a second cup) was filter and also good. Mam said her bacon roll was excellent and the bacon was 'perfect'. Mam's pot of tea was generous and delicious. Both meals were a good size too. The bill came to a very reasonable £10 and the waitress, who was attentive, friendly and pleasant got a decent tip as we were very pleased. The location of this cafe is great, with plenty of outside room for when the weather is nice and I highly recommend this establishment. I also noted they do lunch dishes like lasagne and roast lunches along with pies and hot and cold rolls and panini. We will be back.

“Nice fresh food”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

After the refurbishment the place is much better. The menu isn't extensive, but well cooked and fresh. Prices are reasonable and it's always clean and tidy. Outdoor seating is available.

It's often full at peak (lunch) times, which probably tells you something.

Visited December 2013
“Great food and homely atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We have visited many of Morpeths cafes and eating establishments, but we revisit this time after time. Good service and value for money. Hot food served in a nice old fashioned atmosphere. Recommended. We will be back.

Alnwick, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly and Unwelcoming”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We popped in for a quick cuppa as we were just passing and it looked looked very welcoming and quaint - but we couldn't have been more wrong! The atmosphere was unfriendly, the staff snooty, and we were not made to feel at all welcome. We were handed the bill within 5 minutes of sitting down - to me this was 'gentle encouragment' to leave, I've never felt so unwelcome and won't be going back. Morpeth has several cafes and tearooms - do yourself a favour and go somewhere else....

3 Thank VickiMcMaster
Northumberland. UK
“Unusually setting”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We visit Morpeth every few weeks and have never noticed the sign for the Old Bakehouse before but when we did we thought we would give it a go.
My husband had full English which was good, I have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, which was ok, salmon was warm, seemed to have been cooked, not what I usually get when order this.
Overall ok, might try again and order something different.
Lovely relaxed setting especially on a lovely day when you can sit outside.

Visited May 2013