“Convenient and pleasant atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe, British, European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
Alnwick, United Kingdom
“Convenient and pleasant atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

This cafe has had some recent negative reviews but in my experience it has a pleasant atmosphere with friendly staff. It is very conveniently located in Rutherford's store which is always interesting to browse around. The cafe serves perfectly reasonable coffee and teas and a range of basic foods including soup of the day, salads, and other daily specials. It has fair prices and prompt service which is good for those popping in during a lunch break. I would certainly return.

• Visited August 2014

“wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

joined the girls for lunch. Had a short wait for a table as there was five of us to sit. The waitress who served us was charming and very efficient. Our food arrived promptly and all agreed, delicious.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Hmmm! Has done Better-”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I frequently visit Morpeth and always pop into Rutherford's for the lovely items on sake - and normally a lovely lunch. However on a recent visit, I was disappointed to find their salad dishes were just that - a lot of lettuce & token topping. Hopefully this is a one off as all other visits have been fine. On a more mundane point, why oh why do they neglect the 'facilities' ....... Adequate but badly in need of upgrading.

• Visited July 2014
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We used Rutherford's for years. Not once did Colonel Peacock, the present owner speak to us. Of late, the service has been atrocious. I suffer from arthritis and find standing in one spot for very long, difficult.

As we stood in the disorderly queue, my wife asked if we could go to the uncleared table and explained my situation. A very high velocity, truculent reply came from a young girl, with exactly zero experience of anything. We decided there and then that we would no longer fund Colonel Peacock and his wonderful staff.

The food is awful anyway. It's been going back for a few years now. Do yourself a favour and walk up Newgate Street to Cafe Des Amis, (I have no investment in this). Real grub, smiles and great Americano coffee.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DVAIDR
Durham, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We popped in for lunch on a recommendation. My cheese and pineapple Panini was OK but my wife's roast vegetable Panini was awful. The vegetables were not roasted but were soggy and appeared to be merely boiled. The vinaigrette dressing was a creamy concoction obviously from a jar. When we complained, the response was ‘I’ll tell them’ and that was the last we saw of her. When we were asked at the pay desk if everything was OK we said no and explained again and the reply was ‘I’m sorry about that; that’s £15.40 please’. For a poor quality lunch at a high quality price in a department store restaurant stuck in the fifties – this is the place.

• Visited July 2013