“Very disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 32 Morpeth B&B and Inns
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

After spending many hours on the internet and reading the reviews of many bed and breakfasts in Northumberland I chose Cottington Burn House, it look very pleasant and as I was travelling alone I thought it would be ideal. When arriving at Cottingburn House after traveling for 9 and a half hours I parked where I thought would be suitable until I checked in, when a gentleman came out and rudely shouted my name and told me to move my car! He then very rudely told me I was very late as I had said I would be there at 4.30 and had I had been another 5 minutes I would not have been able to stay! After explaining I had been stuck in traffic this still didn't seem except able and he was quite abrupt with me, his wife then came and greeted me and explained that she had phoned the care home where my father was! To see where I was which I found quite rude and out of order as I had not even been there as I went straight to the b&b. I was shown to my room which at first looked reasonable! But I was in a rush to visit my father so basically just dropped my bag and went out. When I returned later I looked around the room and was very disappointed with it as it was very dirty, left on the bedside table was a used nail file, the bathroom was dirty and grubby, there was a slug by the decking area door which I know can happen but he looked as though he'd been there a few days. The only good point of the room was the bedding was spotless. I went for breakfast in the morning and Waited in the conservatory to be seated it was very dirty and no way up to a three star b&b I left and phoned to cancel my other 2 nights which to be fair they did refund me but I would not recommend Cottington Burn House.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Donna M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Lovely B&B, wonderful couple and anything you wanted just had to ask, very obliging. Rooms very clean and cosy.
Set close enough to the town centre but away from it all at the same time.
Happy to return one day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather E
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Cottingburn House B&B for 4 days in June, and enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms look exactly as the photos on the website: basic, but the package for the price you pay is excellent: the B&B has unlimited free wi-fi, free secure (CCTV monitored) off street car park, comfortable beds, excellent breakfast (there’s a menu to choose from and the B&B has Breakfast Award from Visit Britain) and even fruit basket for guests to use at any time. We stayed in a twin en suite room which has its own exit to the deck which overlooks the burn and mature trees.

The B&B is run by a nice family - Tim and Vera, who try their best to meet all their guests’ needs, nothing is a problem! We were very touched that Tim, even on crutches he has to use, offered his help with our luggage! We will stay again if in this area and highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I can highly recommend staying at Cottingburn House which is run by a really lovely couple. A Bed & Breakfast should offer friendly service, good value and basic but clean and nice lodgings - all boxes ticked and great location too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just an overnight stay, but the room and bathroom were spotless, having our own area of decking was a lovely bonus, and the breakfast (with home made sourdough bread and jam) was wonderful. Tim and Vera are excellent hosts. We just wish it could have been a longer stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane D
Dunstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Staying at this lovely bed and breakfast was a pleasure. The owners Vee and Tim are so welcoming and provide a personal service. Helped me with a surprise gift for my girlfriend too! Had a very restful sleep in the comfortable and clean double ensuite room. Please do consider this ideally situated place as they are always on hand to help with your requirements and a friendly chat. Breakfast is included to your requirements too. You are able to have access as you need with no restrictions. Very highly recommended! Looking forward to my next visit :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

I can recommend this B&B. The welcome was very friendly and informative, as I am gluten free they made sure the staff were aware and I had gluten free bread for breakfast. The accommodation is on a busy road but the secondary glazing cut out all the noise, so a peaceful nights sleep. It is also a short walk into the town so no noise. I would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morpeth
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Riverside Guest House
Riverside Guest House
#7 of 32 in Morpeth
Newminster Cottage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Cottingburn House? Share your experiences!