“Pleasent stopover on the way to Scotland”
Review of Cottingburn House

Cottingburn House
Cottingburn House
Ranked #12 of 29 Morpeth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2009

This was a very convenient stopover on our way to Scotland. We only stayed briefly, but the room was good, the breakfast excellent and our host very friendly and helpful. It was also good value.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cottingburn House

Reviewed 6 May 2009

My husband and I have stayed at Cottingburn House a few times now and wouldn't stay anywhere else when we're in the area. We always get a very warm welcome and the full English breakfasts Tim and Vera provide are fantastic. We liked the sausages so much last time that Tim told us where they bought them from and we went to get a supply to take home.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We arrived and no one was there to greet us. Eventually, we were told our room was upstairs, and we had to find it ourselves (after going into their room by mistake) - given no keys. After getting changed into my mourning suit to go to a funeral, the owner suddenly appeared asking "have you paid yet?" we then wrote a cheque, but on returning, no one there to accept it. The morning after, we had breakfast (hells kitchen style) - the bacon, beans (10 beans) & mushrooms were cold and the toast had seen a ghost - just a tinge of brown. We had not even finished eating our breakast when "Basil & Sybil" slapped the "unfinished" bill & statement onto my place mat, and insisted I gave her my card number for the cheque - stapled to that was a copy of his welcome letter (and my letter in return on the back) - and highlighted in pink highlighter pen the words "the balance is paid on your arrival" and to remind me of my letter - he highlighted..... (we will pay you the £XX in cash) ON ARRIVAL AS REQUESTED - how rude was that; I've never been insulted like that in all my life, and we even stayed there in December 2008 - there will be a full complaint made against them, don't worry about that.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2009

I would be inclined to side with Tenppom from Brisbane.
Every moment I was in the B&B, Tim and Very were there at my behest! I arrived on Friday afternoon to attend a concert in the Conservative Club, Morpeth. I had booked online and later rung them up to book an evening meal.
I checked in, saw the faciliities, and went out to get my bearings, as I hadn't been near Morpeth for about 25 years, and I thought it had moved!
Upon my return, I was asked if I still wanted the main meal (£12) or if I would like the Quick Meal (£5). Choosing the Quick Meal, I found myself eating the best cheese and bacon omlette I have ever had.
Vera is a superb cook: her full breakfast, featuring sausages and bacon from Martins, and her jam, is to be savoured!
All in all, I'm glad I chose Cottingburn House.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Yes I too stayed at this so called B&B and was greeted by Bazil and his missus, and I quote "you cant smoke anywhere on the premises, if you do you will have to pay the £2000 fine yourselves". The bedroom was something like a doss house, (was half expecting the DSS to ring) the springs on the first bed were showing and made it very uncomfortable to sleep, and the other bed was so soft you kept rolling out, (thats if you didnt freeze first as it was under the window). There have been floods in the area and a lot of conrtactors had filled all the other B&Bs, this one was missed, I wonder why....

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2008

We had a great stay at this B&B. The owners were fantastic. Carried our bags in and welcomed us with a cuppa and biscuits and made sure that we were comfortable. Sure the room wasn't huge but it was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was great with homemade porridge and preserves as well as the full english cooked just how we wanted it. The landlady was well up with all the attractions around and advised us where to go and what to see. She offered to get in touch with her doctor when my wife became unwell. The couldn't do enough for us - even did some washing for us at a reasonable extra charge. We woud recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 May 2008

What can I say?
Our welcome was less than friendly - in fact it was downright RUDE. Having booked online and travelled 400 miles to arrive at this, er, unusual abode, at 7.30pm (hardly an unusually tardy time to arrive) the man who answered to door didnt even bother to say hello - dumbstruck and stared down as though we were scum, we eventually decided to advise the gentleman (against our better judgement) that we had booked a room for the night.
We were then asked if we 'had our piece of paper' which apparently stated (alhough the website we booked on, bedandbreakfasts.co.uk, VERY CLEARLY states that check-in is from 2pm until 10pm) that we *had* to check in at 3pm.
Right. Nice way to treat paying guests, huh.
'This is a hotel, not a borstal' as Basil would say.
The twin room was akin to sleeping in a shed/caravan/lean to. Very bizarre indeed, complete with draughty windows, a TV that one would have to be a contortionist to watch, and a single wooden chair. Comfy.
Had we not paid for the room up front, we would have legged it down the road to a lovely, friendly looking B&B!
I've NEVER in my life experienced such utter rudeness - Basil Fawlty is reborn. DONT go and stay there unless you're in the mood for being insulted!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morpeth
Premier Inn Ashington Hotel
Newminster Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Northumberland Cottage
Northumberland Cottage
#5 of 29 in Morpeth

Been to Cottingburn House? Share your experiences!