Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel
Eshott Hall(Eshott)
US$154
US$148
  • Restaurant
All reviewsotterburn castlelibrary suitetravelzoo dealfour poster bedevening mealsitting roomoak room restaurantfull priceafternoon teavenisonroom was largeold buildingnight breakhead chefroaring fireground floormy partner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 October 2013

we stayed here on 26.10.13 for I night with friends on a special offer. staff very polite and helpful. evening meal was very nice. the night we stayed there was a hypnotist (and disco) who was funny and his show did not degrade the people who took part. we had a large (2 bedroom) room, room was clean and tidy, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: room 9 has large room with double bed and sofa and a second room with twin beds. large bathroom. ideal for family's with children that sleep in their own room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Very impressive on the outside on arrival , however the place is quite shabby and desperately needs a massive injection to bring it up to the mark in today's climate.
Detail such as duff bulbs in the room (4 poster de lux!) and worn out chairs are not expected at these prices.
The dinner was average at best.
The staff were all pleasant and helpful but clearly need some leadership.
Not recommended !

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Banko45
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We would not stay here again. The place needs lots of work. The staff were friendly and breakfast was good. The Wifi worked well for us but the rickety old fuzzy tv with three channels not so flash. The shower was horrible . The room was weird and tired. On arrival we asked about their two restaurant options and were told that the bistro did steak and burgers and the other was more formal, we felt like the steak and burger option so headed to the bistro. When the staff handed us the menu we were told there were no steak or burgers, after a brief look at the menu the only option left was pretty much seafood , we were the only ones there and the atmosphere was bad also with limited food options we decided not to eat there and drove 3 miles down the road to a pleasant inn for food.. We did like the friendly local cat that walked around with us at the castle.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Me and my partner recently stayed in Otterburn at a cottage just two minutes away from Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel.
From the outside the castle country house looked lovely and we decided that we would go and eat there on our second to last night for a nice meal as we had cooked in the cottage all week.
What we got couldn't have been more different.
Before reading this review please note that I have never complained about a restaurant/hotel despite visiting and eating at some very poor places in the past, I did however feel that I had to warn people about this place before deciding whether or not to go.
So me and my partner got ready and went dressed smartly as you would do believing you were going to eat at a nice establishment.
We walked into the bistro, the waitress was sat at a table watching emmerdale on the large TV. We asked if they served food in here - yes she said neglecting to tell us that there was actually a restaurant section to the hotel (clearly we had come out for a nice meal) she sat us in the game room. We sat there facing the TV (with Emmerdale on) and a gambling machine across the room, also a pool table in the middle.
When handing us the menu we were told there was no steak or burgers which basically left us with about 4 options as the menu only consisted of one page of main meals.
They also had no stella 4 and had only one other lager (they only offer two options), a cheap eastern european premium of lager of which I had never heard the name. I asked for a pint of this, It was vile, the kind of lager that is bought out of bargain booze for £1.99 for 8. My partner asked for a large white wine.
The menu (which is the same as the restaurant menu) had no description of what was actually in the meals - one of the options was "Burger" underneath it simply said "Beef".
I ordered seafood platter, my partner ordered vegetable pasta bake.
What I actually received was like a practical joke. The description had told me I would get homemade chips, 4 sauces incl. tarter, lemon and coriander, chilli and another I cannot remember. There was no information of what seafood would be on the platter but I get this quite a lot so THOUGHT I had an idea. What I actually got was deep fried chips which had come straight out of the freezer, breaded scampi and another breaded fish that I think was a fish finger but was a bit like a mini fish finger. The sauces I got were in fact two pots of mayonnaise and a chilli sauce that was squeezed out of a bottle (I know this because I have the same one at home). I have a picture of the meal on my phone and it is met with laughter every time I simply tell people that this was a "fish platter" I don't know how they can actually serve this to people.
My partners pasta bake was almost as comical, it had not been baked for one second and was simply boiled pasta with tow big bits if broccoli in it with chopped mushroom with a watery cheese sauce.
So there we were sat in a games room with our best clothes on expecting a really nice meal made with "local fresh produce" as had been advertised but being given the worst food I have ever been served in my life. To top it my seafood platter was £8.00, my partners was £9.00. I could have made both meals for under £3.00 and this is no exaggeration.
Having drank our drinks we were never asked if we would like another, the waitress also kept standing in the doorway to watch the TV.
We were the only people in there and luckily as we both have a sense of humour simply laughed at the absurd situation.
My partner, not filled up at all my her meal ordered a sticky toffee pudding on the thesis of "how wrong can you go with a sticky toffee pudding" even if it is out of a packet is should still be nice - however she couldnt have been more wrong. We waited a full half an hour for the dessert to arrive with no explanation, what she go was a tiny square drowned in watery sauce, I have never seen anything like it, this was also not cheap at £4.00.
The dessert was left barely touched and we went to collect the bill, this is when we realised how expesive the meal had been. I had got up thinking well at least it should only be just just over £20 but it was over £35. The pint was £4.00! I was in London three weeks and got a nice pint at a good bar for £3.80. The wine was £6.50 and was only pino grichio.
I left the restaurant absolutely fuming.
As I mentioned I have had bad meals but usually we do not stay to spend money on drinks etc if this is the case and we just leave pay the bill and dont go again but I could not leave this place without at least writing a review so no one else evers suffers the same as we did.

2  Thank stewart m
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had a very enjoyable relaxing stay. The building is charming and reflects the history of the area. The room and bed were very comfortable.The staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough for us. We enjoyed good food and service.

1  Thank Una P