Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel
US$154
US$148
Le Petit Chateau(Otterburn)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsotterburn castlelibrary suitetravelzoo dealfour poster bedevening mealsitting roomoak room restaurantfull priceafternoon teavenisonroom was largeold buildingnight breakhead chefroaring fireground floormy partner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Booked on travelzoo offer, had to pay to upgrade as only family rooms available. Long journey to get there and was very impressed on the grand presence as we drove up. The place has clearly been redecorated recently as still smelt and could see paint on windows etc but this wasn't a problem. Room, large and clean but poor layout and old furniture. Flagpole on roof above our room made noise all night. Staff friendly but didn't seem professional and the waitresses looked rather scruffy. Far too quiet (uncomfortably to the point where you feel you have to whisper) in the drawing room and restaurant. Food ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!!! Didn't get what we ordered and given poor excuses by waitress. I could not eat mine. Chef cannot know anything about food. Some examples are beef broth which was like hot water with a large chilli kick. Ravioli and curry sauce. Tinned mushy peas on overlooked fish on a mound of brown fishy slop. Uuurrrg. Breakfast not much better. Well over cooked as if left out on a hot plate for hours. Will not be going again and would it recommend to anyone. It's such a shame as could be a lovely place but seems to have poor management for all this to be going on. The receptionist was informed on us checking out and assured me that she would tell management but they didn't contact me. I sent an email and they replied asking what the problem was. I still await to get a response from the long email I sent stating the issues and that I felt that I should get a refund. It won't be long before the place closes down if it carries on like this. What a shame.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
4  Thank Tamsin H
Reviewed 23 April 2014

room 2 was delightful inside,but if you looked out of the window all the old carpets from the rooms were all piled up (looked like a tip).on arrival we were told there was no food at dinner only breakfast .nearest food was 5 miles away after driveing 3 hours we had to get back in the car again but because we had our dog with us we could either eat in the bar or leave him in the car (to hot) .we booked 3 nights but left after2 nights because this was supposed to be a relaxing break .on arriveing home a voice mail from the hotel telling us about the food problem saying we could have a bottle of wine as compensation,we never recieved it,the hotel and grounds are stunning its just a pity about the people that are in charge dont seem to care about guest ...

1  Thank jamesbarker1952
Castles_Management, General Manager at Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time in sharing your comments with regards to your recent stay at Otterburn Castle Hotel!

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the fact that we could not serve dinner during the Easter Holidays. As you have been made aware, we had some major maintenance issues in kitchen department and we tried to make the best out of a situation, which was beyond our control. This problem has now been resolved and we are operating as normal. Could I also take the chance assuring you that me and all the staff at Otterburn Castle Hotel care about all guests staying with us more than anything else and we will always go the extra mile to be in guest's assistance.

I hope to welcome back to Otterburn Castle Hotel in a near future and should you decide to do so, I would like to invite you to join us for complimentary meal in Oak Room Restaurant.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed at the hotel over bank holiday weekend. The exterior is very grand and is surrounded by lovely scenery. We checked in at reception to be told there would be no food served during our stay and the only two places to eat were 5 miles away, however for some reason they could serve hot breakfasts. I presume this was because the breakfast was microwaved. This put a bit of a dampner on our trip as we had already drove nearly 3 hours. We now couldn't have a relaxing evening as we had to venture out again. This added another 20 miles onto the trip. We decided to try the stables bar one evening. It was very bizarre. There was only one couple in there on a Saturday night at 8pm. The bar resembled a student union with its plastic chairs, large screen TV and pool table. It was a total contrast from the grand exterior of the castle. We stayed for one drink as it lacked any kind of atmosphere and I wish I never bothered to get dressed up to go there. We stayed in room 10 and it it had a mismatch of modern and old furniture. The TV was 15 inch and not worth putting on. The shower was the worst I've used. It was Luke warm and just let out a pathetic drizzle. The bed was comfy and the carpet looked new and was clean. Overall we were very disappointed with our weekend here. I complained to the receptionist who said she would get the manager to contact us at 12 when she came in but I had to ring her the next day as we received no call. She apologised and offered vouchers to eat there. However as it's a 3 hour trip to get there so we will not be using them as we are not staying there again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rachel W

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your comments!

As you were made aware on checking-in, due to unforeseen circumstances, we were not able to serve dinner during your stay and I would like to sincerely apologies for the inconvenience! Me and the team tried to make the best of the situation, however it was beyond our control. I would like to assure you that the problem is now resolved and we are serving dinner as normal.

As I presume you are aware of the fact that Otterburn Castle Hotel has just been completely refurbished and some of the furniture had to be replaced. Due to the nature of the building, which is nearly 1000 years old with an enormous amount of history, all antique furniture was kept and I believe this is the reason why you had the feeling of mismatching. All TV's were also replaced with the smallest ones being 22". Unfortunately we have not been made aware of problems with the shower and I can assure you the problem was going to be attended immediately, should we were informed about it. With regards to Stable Bar, this will be our next project, which will be completed very soon.

I would like to apologise for not being able to get in touch with you within the timescales discussed with my reception colleague, but I can assure you that I will certainly do! Once again, I am really sorry for all inconvenience and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in Otterburn Castle Hotel where you will experience a nice and relaxing stay in a country house.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

From outside the building was amazing very impressive! When we checked in we asked if there was a possibility of an upgrade ( paid of course) and was sharply told no as they we're busy with travelzoo vouchers! Fair enough but the lady never even checked!

Our room although a good size stunk of paint! Was overpowering at one point I was in tears ready to go home! We decided to leave the window open and go for dinner. 3 hours later the room smelt better, however as soon as we closed the window it became horribly overpowering once again! We were on the bottom floor so I didn't want to leave the window open! After a horrible sleepiness night of feeling suffocated we went for breakfast before a hasty checkout!

On reflection we should have asked reception for a move but the receptionist wasn't exactly helpful! Lovely surroundings but needs improvement!

Room Tip: Avoid room 2
Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 571Lou571
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a TravelZoo offer for one night D,B&B with a bottle of wine but booked for two nights. The hotel has been undergoing major redecoration and it is just beautiful. Fantastic interior furnishings and carpet (curtains were being fitted in the public rooms whilst we were there). The staff were great and the food was excellent, most of it sourced locally. Otterburn is quite remote which suited us but just be prepared to drive for days out. Our room was beautifully furnished, clean and had the usual tea/coffee making facilities and a TV. The bed linen was high thread-count cotton, lovely. We were warned that wifi would be patchy because the walls are so thick but not a problem as we took our iPads down to the lounge and the signal was fine. Only one downside, the windows did not open in our room or bathroom. Probably because of repainting recently? A couple who checked out before us made a point of mentioning that at reception. We'd definitely go again.