“The potential is there but a lot of work is needed to realise it.”

Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Otterburn
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The building is beautiful but it is understaffed, leading to somewhat shambolic service. The room I booked bore little resemblance to the images on the website. Overall, it was a disappointing experience, plus I am still waiting for a refund of the £100 "pre authorised" on my debit card on arrival at the hotel.
Beware

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank whitakers28

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lets start on a positive, this looks like a nice hotel from the outside. However the overall experience of our evening here was a major let down. The room was large but the furniture is a strange mix of 'antique' pieces that don't look like they match together. Then we discovered that the TV didn't work and neither did the internet !! The lady on reception promised to call 'the manager' but we heard no more. One of the bath towels was damp and looked like it had been used (this was changed without complaint). Finally breakfast was a strange affair, it seems that butter and marmalade are scare resources as two small curls of butter and small dollop of marmalade (served for some reason in the bottom of the cup) are all that are provided. The staff seemed hassled, possibly because they had to serve out the orange juice which we clearly were not trusted to help ourselves too. It all seemed a bit penny pinching.......not impressed

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank foxton_russian
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned home having been guests at a family wedding at Otterburn Castle. This venue is superb. The driveway approach, gardens and surrounding landscape are breath-taking (the odd rabbit hopping about was lovely to see). The staff are courteous, friendly and will held wherever they can to make your stay memorable. The rooms (we had access to a double room and a family suite) were newly decorated and furnished as suited the surroundings (a fair number of antiques I'm sure). They were large, clean and fresh, bedding & towels white, and bathrooms spotless. The wardrobes housed iron, board, spare pillows, duvets, and wooden coat hangers (always a sign of class, I think!). The family suite had a small vestibule with 2 large bedrooms and a bathroom leading off. The children's twin bedded room had large soft toys in residence, and games and books in the wardrobe, making the children feel at home (small details that made a big difference in getting them settled down for the night). The window was also well out of reach of small inquisitive hands!
My husband has coeliac disease and his dietary needs were considered without fuss or confusion.
We had a special bed & breakfast rate because we were part of the wedding party, however, having looked at the website, the full price tariff is as I would expect for this calibre of hotel and very good value for money. The wedding food was very good, and the breakfast was all you would expect of a full English.
Negative points: our loo seat was a bit wonky. That's it (and it's probably already fixed by now!)

Room Tip: Rm 16: Double: 1st floor, the farthest to walk, overlooking the front, so no noise from marque where...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CassaHexham
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great castle from the outside stayed in room 16 toilet seat falling off reported this but appeared not concerned, mold in comers of bathroom. Cleaning is a issue. Bed lovely and comfortable, breakfast ok but fruit needed stocking up poor choice left apart from main cooked breakfast order early as it takes a while to reach your table but relaxed. If more choice in area i feel despite its castle status it would lose trade poor over all nice to stay in castle

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank m d
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Having drove past Otterburn castle on my way to Aberdeen (due to road works on the A1) i decide to book a night there as a suprize for my wife. After booking i read the reviews on trip advisor and became a bit worried but my worries soon disappeared when we arrived. My better half was very impressed. we spent a lovely afternoon and evening sitting on the lawn with a bottle of wine or 3. After such a hot day we didn't feel like eating a large meal so asked if it would be possible to have a cheese board in our room, this was delivered minutes later and was delicious. Our suite (room 3) was spotless, the bed was massive and very a comfortable. All the staff we met were curtious and welcoming. Breakfast was delicious and served within minutes of our order being taken. To sum up, gents if you're looking to gain brownie points with your better half you won't go far wrong booking a night or 2 in Otterburn castle.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank theMcEs
Reviewed 7 August 2014

stayed here for a couple of nights last weekend sun /mon, on arrival it looked like the photo,
checked in room 14 with a big 4 poster bed
the shower was very poor with no water pressure at all,the whole place could have done with a good clean & polish,
breakfast was a very slow affair so be prepared to wait
the bar prices where dear
never seen the owners to speak to ,
at night the flood lights on the front light up the whole room like a air field & do nt go into night mode
this hotel could do with a bit more tlc & staff

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trev198585
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a wedding back in April and to say i was upset was an understatement! We were very excited for our 2 night stay as the castle looked fabulous online. On arrival we were greeted with the stench of sewage! It filled the whole place for the duration of our stay. We waited around as there wasn't anyone on reception, then after ten minutes we found a lady who gave us a room key. We were directed up to our room, which was a good size and seemed clean. However on further inspection things were not up to standard…the bathroom had brown staines in the bath, basin and toilet. The water ran brown out of the taps for the duration of our stay and occasionally the water stank so bad we would jump out of the shower for fear of being covered in god knows whatever made it smell so bad! The spare soon had wood panels leaning up against the wall, possibly a half finished refurb? One hour in to our stay we had a piece of card pushed under our door telling us that the water supply would be switched off the next day for maintenance between 10am-3pm. The wedding day….so on the wedding day we would not have access to water or a flushable toilet….great. We went to the local shop to buy bottled water to brush our teeth with (i didn't trust the filthy brown flow from the taps). The next morning I informed a lady at reception (when one finally showed up) that I would not be prepared to pay the full £120 per night on checking out due our experience and could she please let the manager know, she said she would pass my comments along.

When it came to checking out they were unable to produce me a bill or even find me a manager to talk too. There had been no wifi for the duration of our stay due to technical problems which meant they couldn't check me out. This was another issue as we intentionally booked a place that had wifi so my partner could work remotely during our stay. Again, no apology and lots of indifference from staff when we asked what was going on with the connection. The breakfast was good but not worth staying in a stinking hotel for. Also, for the cost of a room per night it should be good.

They took my card details and I was told a manager would call me when the system was back up and running to agree a price for our stay and take a payment over the phone. I said at this point I would be prepared to pay for one night instead of 2 which i think is particularly generous considering. Two weeks later and I had still not heard a thing…then I notice funds have been deducted from my account by Otterburn Castle! Two hours after the transaction was made I receive an email telling me they have reduced my stay by £20 per night as an apology for my experience and they have taken the outstanding balance from the card I booked with! I immediately called them up to not only complain that no one authorised this payment with me before hand but that I was also not in agreement with the amount charged! Surprise surprise no one picked up the phone for nearly 2 hours. When I finally got through the lady who answered told me she was unable to help and her manager will call me back ASAP. I never did hear back from them and I gave up after trying to reach them a further 3 times by phone. I decided it wasn't worth the stress it was causing me. Sadly I didn't pay by credit card as if I did I probably would have had some kind of insurance or ability to claim the funds back.

To say I'm upset is an understatement. I am now £180 down for two nights in a filthy hotel. It upsets and angers me to this day that they took my money. Please do not book this place.

Other guests at the wedding stayed in Otterburn B&B next door and had a wonderful experience apparently for only around £40 per night. So perhaps try there instead if your staying in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Surrey_girl2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otterburn
Langley Castle Hotel
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Battlesteads Hotel
Riverdale Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!