“Bit dissapointed with the condition of the horses!”

Slate Hall Riding Centre
Ranked #6 of 12 things to do in Seahouses
Harrogate
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bit dissapointed with the condition of the horses!”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Me and a friend were visiting Seahouses and had book for a beach ride as we are both experienced riders and wanted to have a canter on the beach while on holiday. The staff were very friendly and looked after us but I was disappointed in the condition of some of the horses, they were not turned out very well for paying customers, obviously not been brush as still having dried mud on necks and legs and mine was quite thin!!!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank 252clare

Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Recommended”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife had horseriding on a beach on her bucket list and crossed it off this week after a visit to Slate Hall

Excellent value at 45 quid for an hour and a half. Great experience. Thanks to Paula the ride guide and to Dan the horse!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank durrant64
sunderland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Staff were really reluctant in allowing me to visit”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have always wanted to gallop along the beach as has my niece who lives in Hertfordshire . We are both experienced horse riders and very devoted to animal welfare . I contected Slate Hall riding Centre intending to purchase 2 £55 vouchers for a two hour hack along the beach , intending to buy it for my niece for Christmas . I was really suspicious when staff showed a real reluctance in allowing me to go and have a look at the stables and horses before I booked . How strange , surely if you run a well established yard you would be delighted that someone would want to have a look around , I know I would . The lady I spoke to made it really difficult for me to visit accusing me of going to inspect the yard . I explained that my niece would be travelling 300 miles for the ride and that I didn't consider it unreasonable to want to go and have a look before I booked . I am really suspicious now that she should show a real reluctance in allowing me to visit . I havn't booked and I am really upset as it would have been a great Christmas present . I wonder why , I do hope the horses are well looked after , it makes me wonder if this yard has something to hide . I do hope not . Sadly due to their attitude they have lost out on a lot of money and we have lost out on what I thought would have been a great ride . I only hope that this lady has nothing to hide . Her behaviour left a lot to be desired and when she accused me of wanting to inspect the place I was shocked .

Visited October 2013
13 Thank farmer8430
manchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Appalling service and manner.”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Shockingly rude, Do NOT part with your money to give to these people. Management booked me on the wrong ride and they gave a showdown whereby they ordered me to get off the horse!! No alternative or apologies were provided. AVOID at all costs.

Visited August 2013
15 Thank vifikef
stockton on tees
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Horse back riding”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I booked a lesson and an hour's ride whilst on holiday in Northumberland as I wanted an activity day. The actual ride was great for me as I haven't rode for almost 3 years following a fall from a family horse, nothing serious it just made me loose confidence. My ride was with a guide called Lindsay who was lovely and took things at a pace to suit me and my riding ability. We went through some lovely country scenery on little back roads passing various other roads users and animals which the horses took in their stride putting me at ease as well. Prior to my ride I had a lesson which was ok but I felt as though it wasn't quite pitched at individuals levels. I was in the arena with two small children who had never rode and were on a lead reign which I felt made it difficult for me to get what I needed out of the lesson. The arena was also full of equipment such as trotting poles and small jumps which was a distraction as I hadn't rode for a long while. Other than that the advice in the lesson was good.
I thought that the stables were nice and clean and the horses well looked after. I do agree with some of the earlier comments about friendliness though. On booking my ride over the phone I found the person to be quite short with me which nearly made me change my mind. The yard was very busy when I arrived and no one greeted me or told me what to do or where to go. There were also some quite abrupt messages/signs in the toilet about turning off taps etc, small things I know but it all adds up to the overall impression of the staff and yard. Having said that my guide Lindsay was great and very friendly. I enjoyed my afternoon.

Visited August 2013