“Lovely little pub to stay in!”
Review of The Pheasant Inn

The Pheasant Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Stannersburn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is a great little pub to stay in if you want to walk or cycle around Kielder Water. The food was excellent. We booked in for bed and breakfast and they automatically reserve you a table to eat in the evening if you wish. e ate there both evenings, food was excellent. Staff were friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
robinkershaw, Owner at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to leave your review, delighted you enjoyed your break with us.

There are newer reviews for The Pheasant Inn

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is the 2nd year we've stayed here for along weekend. It is beautifully appointed, well stocked, the staff are excellent, the service exemplary and then there's the menu!

We spent a weekend enjoying the great outdoors and returned to fantastically prepared and served meals that would not be out of place in any 5* city restaurant; pork, lamb, beef, steaks, pies, everything handmade in the kitchens by Robin and the best bit of all? No chips!

Added to it's amazing reviews, I am coeliac and dairy intolerant and without a huge amount of effort I was able to choose whatever I wanted off the menu. The staff picked up my dietary requirements almost immediately and made sure that my meals were appropriately prepared so I could enjoy every last mouthful.

We will DEFINITELY be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 7 & 8 are downstairs and have the best access without the need for the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa D
robinkershaw, Owner at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Many thanks for taking time to leave us a review. Great to see you back with us again and delighted you enjoyed your few days of relaxation.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My 7 year old son was determined to cycle round Keilder and after much negotiation agreed that we could do it over two days. Had driven passed the Pheasant on many trips to and from Keilder and decided that was where we would stay. After reading the reviews I can only say that the room was great, the rate was good, I was served a well earned beer before 6pm and the food was hearty! The staff were also very helpful and patient especially with my energetic son! If I had to pick one thing and it may have been my fault for not asking I would prefer chips of any kind with my steak rather that a dish of new potatoes, broccoli and carrots. Looking forward to going back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review your. Delighted you both enjoyed your stay with us and the little guy achieved his goal. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Where to begin? I currently live in Calgary, Canada and was visiting the UK with my wife, 4year old son and 4 month old daughter. The purpose of our visit to introduce our new daughter to the family back home. I’m originally from the North East, therefore after a couple of nights rest in London we decided to travel north for two nights to visit family, and for me it was a chance to show off the beauty of the north and its people to my wife and children.
I booked the Pheasant Inn on booking.com the day before the check in date. I went through the usual steps – selecting the dates, number of persons etc and found the rate of 140GBP very reasonable and made the booking on that basis. I received the confirmation email which showed “Family Room – 4 adults – 140GBP”. Great! So the next day we made the 6 and ½ hour drive to interior Northumberland. When we saw the Pheasant Inn we thought we couldn’t be luckier, surrounded with rolling hills it was exactly as I’d hoped it would be.
The problem was when checking in the hotel had put me down in the family room, but as a single occupancy. I showed the confirmation email from booking.com and the manageress said there must have been a mix up but they would sort it out and put my family and I into two adjoining double rooms which suited fine. It had been a long day (by this time it was close to 8pm) so we quickly dropped off the luggage and headed through to the restaurant. We ordered dinner and I had a well deserved local ale. Just as we finished the delicious Northumbrian lamb dinner I was approached by the manageress who asked if she could have a word.
She had contacted booking.com (they were on the line) who confirmed that I had only made the booking as a single occupancy. I spent the next 10-15 minutes with a very rude booking.com customer service agent who told me that despite filtering for 2 adults and 2 children – and selecting a room that stated “Family Room – 4 adults” – I had not selected a drop down menu stating 4 occupants and therefore it was my problem and they couldn’t help me. The lady raised her voice at me several times and even after I requested to speak to her supervisor they could not help me.
Now looking back at the interface of booking.com I admit that I should have double checked that, but at the time I had made the booking on my iPhone and don’t think that it’s an unfair assumption that booking a room explicitly stated as “family room – 4 persons” would mean that I had selected a rate for single occupancy.
This then became a problem for me to resolve with the hotel at the time – who quickly changed their tune from trying to work something out to nearly doubling my rate and saying that as the problem was between me and booking.com they could not honour the 140 and it would now be 270GBP. I explained my situation – that I had driven 6 ½ hours with 2 children (one of them only 4 months old) but even the owner, who came to speak to me later said there was nothing they could do. By this time I had drank two pints of ale and was unable to drive and find somewhere else so we had to take the room for one night, which ended up costing 5 pound less than I had booked for a two night stay. There was no middle ground, I had to spend double, or I couldn’t stay. The fact is, if the rate had been double I wouldn’t have booked the room in the first place as I couldn’t have afforded it.
I have to say that I am still in shock about the lack of decency shown by the hotel who didn’t even try to work anything out. So much for Northern hospitality – it was very clear that they didn’t want our custom. Suspiciously this was all brought out after my family had eaten our three course meals and I had gone over the drink drive limit. My wife went to bed straight after dinner very distressed by the whole affair and we didn’t even bother unpacking the suitcase as we prepared ourselves for the 6 ½ hour drive back to London the next morning.
I’d like to add that there was availability at the hotel the next day, the family room was still available for booking as were the two adjoining double rooms. Admittedly there was a mistake on my part during the booking process – which I am currently in correspondence with booking.com about as I strongly feel their booking process is misleading – however this hotels complete lack of willingness to help a family that had driven the full length of England is disgraceful. It’s ironic that my wife was so disappointed with the experience that she wanted to go back to London. This hotel had an opportunity of finding guests for life but instead it was a very bitter pill to swallow.
To any future young family considering this hotel – despite there being a family room it was clear they do not want children there – the looks my four year old was getting at the restaurant made that apparent. Don’t come here expecting a true slice of the north, I wish we had made our booking with one of the many B&Bs in nearby Bellingham. I won’t be making this mistake again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Mike-London2Calgary
robinkershaw, Owner at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

I will try to make my response to this sorry tale brief. When we are at fault or have been found wanting in our service, I'm more than happy to accept responsibility and apologize for our failings. In this case, the problem was not of our making.

An online booking made with one of the largest travel websites (Booking.com) who are not in the business of misleading guests during the booking process. The room was clearly reserved for single occupancy and was stated as such on your confirmation. Perhaps the price of £70.00 per night for a family of four with Full English Breakfast should have sounded alarm bells. The correct tariff would be £135.00.

The real issue here is how we dealt with the unfolding problem. Upon your arrival, we quickly established there was a discrepancy so my manager, without hesitation, allocated two rooms to accommodate your family. Exactly as I would have responded. I was alerted at home but assured you were more than happy with the solution, settled in and would be coming to dine shortly. At this point, it was not clear whether this was a problem we had created. I arrived soon after and called Booking.com for some clarification. Having established where the mistake had occurred, I thought it best you speak to Booking.com yourself as they were your booking agent. You were, by then eating your evening meal with your family. I requested my manager to phone Booking.com after you had finished your meal so you could speak to them directly and I would return to speak to you personally. At this point I was quite prepared to reach a compromise.

When I returned, you had spoken to a Customer Services Representative at Booking.com. I was not privy to this conversation but I can only assume that she needed to raise her voice in response to the manner in which she was spoken. When I came to discuss this with you, I was told emphatically that we in conjunction with Booking.com had somehow mislead you and that you would not have booked at the correct price and if this was the tariff, you would not be staying the following evening. Any thoughts of "middle ground" evaporated in an instant.

In the end, you were charged £125.00 for a family of three, if you care to check your account, as we do not charge for very young children. My real grievance with your comments lies with the accusation that we deliberately waited until you had consumed alcohol before resolving the problem and that my staff were unfriendly towards your children. The first point is an INSULT to my professionalism as a Hotelier and the second is pure fabrication. The girls went out of their way to look after your family given that there was an issue when you arrived and at no point was your wife distressed. Your decision to return to London, if indeed you did, was yours and not forced upon you by ourselves.

In summary, sometimes in life we all make mistakes, we have to hold our hands up and take responsibility, swallow the bitter pill and not expect someone else to do it for us. So to anyone reading this review, let me assure you that "Northern Hospitality" is alive at the Pheasant Inn. Northern goodwill will be reserved for those who deserve it.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Used the Pheasant Inn as our base when we visited the Keilder Observatory. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the owner offered his local knowledge, which helped us. The food was wonderful, and the room was impressive as well. Would highly recommend if you are in the area, and we'll be back ourselves in August.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
robinkershaw, Owner at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Many thanks for your review. delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in August.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

friendly staff, decent sized rooms, good food, lots of choice for breakfast, enjoyed our break. A lovely part of the world to visit, last time we visited was when Kielder Res was being built. The dog also enjoyed her visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
robinkershaw, Owner at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to leave a review, they are very important to us. Delighted you enjoyed your stay.
Thanks again

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We live in the lovely Scottish Border town of Kelso and just occasionally we take the short drive (just over an hour) to Stannersburn and we enjoy a delicious meal at the Pheasant Inn in the company of the Kershaws and their friendly team.

We have now stayed at this lovely place and it is just "very special" in every way - thank you!!

The Connors from Kelso.

• Stayed: July 2014

Many thanks for your kind words. Its great to have guests returning as we feel we can get to know them. My team work very hard to make everyone feel welcome and its nice for them to feel appreciated sometimes.
Thanks again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stannersburn
Battlesteads Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel
The Holly Bush Inn
The Holly Bush Inn
#1 of 1 in Greenhaugh

Been to The Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!