“One year on and still amazing”

Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnby Moor
Reviewed 9 December 2013

On behalf of my husband and I (always wanted to say that)
we married at Ye Olde Bell
Last year on 24 November.
We had 180 guests at the wedding and the hotel couldn't do enough for us.
So obviously, on our 1st anniversary on Sunday 24 Nov we booked for Sunday lunch in the 1650 restaurant. Kate and Billy, hotel and restaurant managers had dressed the window sill where we were eating, with a lovely big red heart and candles and even an anniversary card. We were so touched. The forod was excellent as usual and all the staff are always very courteous. May I say in particular young Ashley and Robin are a credit to Kate and Billy. They all, always make us feel like a big family no matter how busy they are. Thank you once again to all of you x Cheryl and Grenville.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

I can't believe you've had a year of wedded bliss already!! Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really do appreciate your lovely comments.
It's always great to see you both and a pleasure to look after you.
See you soon
Kate

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had our Christmas Dinner Dance at the hotel.
it was brilliant, the food which for many Christmas do's we have been to is usually crap, was fantastic, really tasty, we actually stayed in the hotel and the Breakfast was just as good, and we had it in our room, ON TIME
The hotel itself is lovely has a real homely feeling, open fires burning lovely Christmas atmosphere with all the decorations
Will definitely be going again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

I'm delighted you enjoyed your Christmas Celebrations at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, it's just the perfext place for a festive get together. I love the atmosphere at Christmas; log fires, cosy leather sofas and the aroma of mulled wine eminating from the bar....Mmmm.
I'm thrilled you will be returning, hope to see you soon.
Kind regards and Happy Christmas!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Spent a night here before a wedding. The room was excellent. Breakfast service was a little slow. The wedding meal service was much better. I know the hotel from 40 years ago when I was a child, so it was a nostalgic visit. Late arriving guests were well looked after by the night staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

I love that feeling of nostalgia when you visit places remembered from childhood,
I'm sure Ye Olde Bell is still very recognisable as the hotel you knew 40 years ago,as a local landmark the exterior has changed very little over the years.
Lots has changed on the inside though with a complete restoration to bring us firmly into the 21st Century and we've still managed to preserve all the quirky features along with the lovely warm feeling you get when you walk through the door.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope it won't be 40 yeras until you visit us again.
Kate

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I was given to believe this hotel was top notch, even the price of a room for the evening did seem to endorse this belief. However, the truth is very different. I recently stayed there for one night with my wife, for the Grove ball event. On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted warmly enough by the receptionist and check in was a pretty painless affair. We were told where our room was, on the second floor and then left to arrange getting our own bags to the room. No offer of assistance from any one, no dedicated staff in place to transport baggage to the room for you. I have to add here, the room cost us £130 for the night, including breakfast. This puts the hotel in the bracket of high price and therefore should also put it in the bracket of high service,unfortunately that is not the case.

We set off up the staircase to the room. The hotel is very tired, the carpet is extremely threadbare and worn, not to mention filthy. The walls need a good coat of TLC and the paint work is tired, dry and cracked. Some would say this adds character, in reality it smacks of neglect.

The room it's self was clean and tidy. There was absolutely nothing in the room though to justify the price of it. My friend has a small hotel in the peak district in Derbyshire, with better rooms, more little extras and at a fraction of the price. Overall, very, very disappointing.

The staff though were for the most part very friendly and warm and the service was good, again, not to the standard that I would expect from such a hotel.

Overall, I would sum the old Bell as over priced and disappointing and the owners / management should either up their game to match the expectations of discerning guests, or lower their prices and bring it in line with the actual rating it is. A four star hotel it is not, more a two star at the moment. My personal preference, would be that they up their game and make much needed improvements. It is the little things that make a hotel great and this one needs a little more work on the little things.

Would I stay here again? No, not as things are with it at present.

3  Thank yorkshirewizard55
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for writing such a detailed review following your recent stay at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, I'm very sorry there were aspects which you found disappointing and hope you will accept my sincere apology.
Our policy is to always offer help with luggage so I cannot understand why you were not provided with this service, I will certainly reiterate the importance of this to the reception team and do my utmost to ensure it doesn't happen again.
I'm really surprised you felt the hotel was 'tired'. I think the decor is stunning with a fine array of top quality furnishings, rich, deep carpets and beautiful antiques throughout. In addition we all work very hard to keep everything in tip top condition.
A tremendous amount of careful thought and planning has gone into the restoration of the hotel retaining many traditional features that blend with the modern facilities that the discerning guest of today would expect.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments in person as I am a little mystified and would be most grateful if you'd contact me at the hotel.
On a positive note I hope you enjoyed the Grove and Rufford Ball, everyone seemed to have fantastic time and we are busy planning to build on that success for 2014.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Very pleasantly surprised by the high quality of this hotel on a recent business trip. The room was a good size, very comfortable double bed. Tea, coffee and cookie in room. Good quality shower and modern bathroom. Dinner in the restaurant was relatively expensive but there was a wide range of choices and specials, but overall I thought the hotel offered good value and I'd happily return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Fantastic to know your recent business trip was such a pleasure and thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor, we appreciate all feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is our second visit here and we love it. We stayed in April for one night then returned November for two nights. We stayed in the courtyard in an upgraded room which was stunning and comfortable with a superb bath. The food was fantastic and the staff are extremely helpful, polite and friendly especially Jerry the assistant Manager who couldn't of been nicer or more inviting. Our only disappointment I will point out was the menu. We ate in the bistro the first night thinking we would have something more relaxing then posh it up in the restaurant on night two but when our food arrived (which was to die for) we realised we had ordered exactly the same as we had in April. We checked the menu to find out it was exactly the same. We thought maybe they served it in the restaurant for a few months then swapped but no we discovered that the restaurant menu was exactly the same as the bistro and also the lunch menu! So we had three meals there and all had to be chosen from the same menu. I know it's only a small thing but I thought it was worth mentioning as we've never come across it before especially for it not having changed since April! I would still recommend it and we will certainly return and have the steak and ale pie and chips!

Room Tip: Room 74 is divine!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very positive comments following a recent visit to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, I'm delighted you had such a fabulous time. I couldn't agree with you more about Jerry, he's only been with us a few months and has already become another invaluable member of the team, it's a real pleasure to work with him.
I appreciate your feedback about the menu but it has actually changed several times since April as we aim to keep it fresh and seasonal. We do not change all the dishes each time so this is perhaps why it seemed familiar. I think if I tried to remove our famous homemade steak and ale pie I could well have an uprising on my hands!!
I will definitely bear you comments in mind though next time we review the menu, thank you.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked a night away since my husband had a business meeting the next day, and we needed some peace and quiet away from the children to discuss and plan for some bad news that we had received earlier on in the week.The hotel is a quaint olde world- type place.As soon as we went down stairs we heard some very loud shouting and laughter in one of the restaurants, so we went to the other one.The food was lovely and the staff great.Unfortunately, as soon as we had finished the main course, the noisy group came to the bar in that restaurant and carried on shouting and laughing very loudly and intrusively.We literally could not hear each other speak. My husband asked the waiter if he could kindly ask them to tone it down, but he said he dared not since it was the owner and he had been there since 3PM with his friends in the bar. We decided to go and sit in the lounge instead to have coffee, but the shouting got even louder and we could hear it there as well (we were not alone in being fed up by this ).In the end my husband very quietly and politely asked the group to please be a little quieter, which if anything just made them louder, so we went back to our room. My husband then went downstairs to get some drinks and the owner 'collared' him and said that we had to leave, since he did not want people like us in his hotel. So at 8.30PM we were thrown out. This has never happened to us before and we been all over the world. What would happen if you booked your wedding there and dared to criticise anything-would you and your guests be thrown out too? We did stay eventually at the Best Western West Retford Hotel which was lovely,big bright rooms and much better value for money (33% cheaper for a better room). I have to say that the staff at Ye Old Bell were superb and clearly mortified by what had happened to us. Incidentally their rather appropriate hotel WiFi link is YOB ---!
My husband booked his business meeting elsewhere and will do in future!

Room Tip: Book at the Best Western down the road instead!
13  Thank ClaireWolf
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review following a recent visit to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff, they are indeed superb.

Ye Olde Bell Hotel was a very different place seven years ago. Having been operated for many years by large corporate companies it was run down, neglected and under threat of closure, a travesty for one of England's oldest and most famous coaching inns.

In 2007 private local owners came to the rescue investing not only a significant amount of money but also blood, sweat and tears into restoring this famous landmark and putting it firmly back on the map. Their passion and vision has been without question and they have created a legacy which is now enjoyed by thousands of guests every year.

I am sorry you were unable to enjoy our hospitality but without our owners we would have neither a hotel nor a livelihood; they will always have 100% support from us in everything they do.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnby Moor
#1 of 1 in Bawtry
12 mi away
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Best Western Lion Hotel

Been to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!