“Absolutely FANTASTIC”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnby Moor
Mirfield, United Kingdom
“Absolutely FANTASTIC”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Awesome place, staff all very attentive and on the ball, great food, nothing too much trouble.

Attended today as part of a wedding, never been before until today but will definitely be going back soon!!!

Anybody thinking of somewhere on the outskirts of Doncaster for a wedding check them out!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
We love to be called awesome....thank you!!
I'm thrilled you have now discovered Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant and hope you will make many future visits.
I really appreciate the time you have taken in writing a review and I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kate Firth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
rotherham
Reviewed 30 May 2014

There are lots of positives regarding Ye Olde Bell and we thought we had done our research thoroughly. We made sure we visited beforehand for our important celebration which consisted of about a dozen people. Staff (Ann and a young girl on reception) were friendly,polite and helpful.
The venue is lovely. Comfy sofas,log fires and panelled rooms had just the right atmosphere for afternoon tea.. We had a sunny but windy day which meant we had tea in the bistro and later went outside into the lovely grounds. We had a cake and staff kindly brought out plates and serviettes,which was much appreciated. We later went onto a sunny terrace with soft cushions and stayed into the late afternoon having drinks.
The only thing that let down the occasion, was Afternoon Tea! What is good value and what is not is very subjective but basically we have had better value elsewhere. I actually liked the mismatched cups and saucers and the tea flowed freely throughout the meal. However the sandwiches came on two platters, too large for the tables. People had to ask other guests to pick up sandwiches and pass them along because it was too far to reach for your own and the platters were large and cumbersome. They were small triangles,four each, basically two slices of white bread with the crusts cut off. I saw grated cheese,prawn and ham and tomato. They were smothered in watercress and cherry tomatoes which again had to be picked off before getting to the sandwiches. (Not very refined-more a free for all!). More usual is to have a stand between two people, then there would be no embarrassment over how many tiny sandwiches each person was entitled to/or had.
They were gone in minutes and we all waited expectantly for the platters to be refilled. Nothing was forthcoming so we started on the scone,jam and clotted cream. This was delicious. Afterwards there were about 4 tiny,tiny patisserie pieces each. Each was not even a mouthful and there was no cake as shown on the website photos.
I would visit again because the venue is very pleasant and we had a lovely time,but not for afternoon tea.I did not consider it to be good value. I can however appreciate the level of service, the china, the tablecloths etc. My advice is to have brunch before you go, some of our party didn't and were very hungry by early evening.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank judeRotherham
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your very detailed review which I found extremely informative and constructive.
It's great to hear you enjoyed the ambiance of Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant and the level of service you received.
I'm sorry afternoon tea was a little disappointing on this occasion, we would happily have provided more sandwiches if requested, but I agree there should have been sufficient served to you initially.
I'm delighted you enjoyed the freshly baked scones with jam and clotted cream and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.
Please make yourself known next time you call in so I can thank you personally for taking the time to write a review.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have struggled with my conscience about writing this review,but it has been niggling at me ever since my visit to The Olde Bell so I feel that I have to make my view known. I took my Mum for the Champagne afternoon tea to celebrate her 78th birthday on 19/5/14. The welcome from reception staff was cool, but the waiter made up for this with his friendly manner.We were asked if we would like to sit outside with a glass of Champagne until our table was ready. We were happy to do this as the weather was lovely.Twenty minutes later we were shown to our table. The first disappointment was the mismatched crockery(nothing matched). But my Mum was just enjoying the experience so I felt that I couldn't comment to staff. Then our tea arrived with my order of a second glass of Champagne each. I was a bit disappointed with the choice of sandwiches,egg or cheese all on white bread.But what concerned me most was the ONE triangular prawn sandwich on brown bread.Had this been made especially for us,or left over from someone else's tea? Next to arrive at the table was a huge selection of cakes and at our request coffee. I must admit that whilst the cakes and coffee were delicious,it would have been nicer to have had a few more sandwiches and less cakes,which we were encouraged to take home what we couldn't eat.At close to £60.00, I have to say I did feel a bit let down.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank fozchris
Please don't struggle with your conscience, we are always very appreciative of any kind of feedback, it is invaluable in monitoring the standard of service we offer.
I'm delighted you received a warm welcome from Billy, I hope he made your Mum feel very special on her birthday.
Our eclectic range of vintage china is designed to be mismatched and has all been hand picked with great care, we think it's quite quirky, I'm sorry you don't agree.
It would seem we need to tweak our balance of sandwiches to cakes and also our selection of sandwiches.....it's important to get the balance right and it appears we didn't quite manage that on this occasion.
I sincerely hope you will visit us again in the future, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back and thank you again for taking the time to write a review.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for my husbands birthday this weekend & loved the place from the moment we stepped into reception!! Found a snug with leather sofa, & relaxed by the log fire with a few drinks! Can recommend a pint of the locally brewed Barnby Moorish! Our room was really beautiful & luxurious & added to the whole feel of our stay. We ate in the 1650 restaurant & can honestly say our meal was the tastiest we've had eating out in a long time. The hotel & bar staff were friendly & helpful from checking in to checking out. If it's for a night away or simply an evening out we cannot recommend enough. The Ye olde Bell is now thankfully on our radar! we will most definitely be returning.... Sooner rather than later!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review, I'm thrilled we are now on your radar and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Please make yourself known next time you call by, I'd love to meet you.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

What a wonderful venue for my oldest friends wedding!! I cannot recommend this venue highly enough: from the moment we arrived yesterday morning to checking out this morning everything was of the highest quality: accommodation, staff, food and drinks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alison W
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
What a fabulous review, thank you so much!!
I'll thrilled you had such a wonderful time and delighted you are happy to recommend us to others.
We do love a wedding at Ye Olde Bell, definitely the best part of the job.
Hope to see you again soon.
nottinghamshire
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We called in for a meal on a Saturday evening as looking for a venue for large family meal.
The service was good and the food pleasant. However we felt the restaurant lacked atmosphere.
We also felt the good was rather overpriced.
Not sure we will return

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for calling in for a meal recently and for taking the time to write a review. I'm surprised you felt the restaurant lacked atmosphere, there's usually such a lively buzz around the hotel, especially on a Saturday evening..... so I'm sorry that wasn't your own experience on this occasion.
I do hope you will visit again, you really would be most welcome.
If you are still looking for a venue for your family celebration please contact me, I would be delighted to discuss your requirements personally.
Ye Olde Bell Hotel is a wonderful place and celebration is what we do best!
Kate
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We would like to say a big Thank You! to management and staff for the lovely wedding they hosted for our daughter, everything was perfect.
Kate and her staff made every effort to ensure everything was perfect on the day, and was always willing to make an extra effort to assist us in every way, prior to and during the event.
The rooms were lovely, the service was excellent and the meals were delicious.
Hope to visit again later this year.

Room Tip: Not a room above the function room