The Forest Lodge Hotel
Great 4.5/5
US$102
US$84
Very Good 4/5
Travelodge Mansfield Hotel(Sutton in Ashfield)
US$62
US$206
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsbeef and ale piefamily suitemajor oakbooked a tablethe pubrobin hoodsfamily funeralconnecting doorfamily mealyoung waitress was verybasket mealslovely lunchcraft centrewonderful staylight lunchpuddingbar meals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my godmother like to think of ourselves as ladies who lunch, and decided to meet in Edwinstowe today as a halfway point (she lives in Retford, I live in Nottingham). We had been here once a couple of years ago and remembered enjoying it, so decided to pay another visit, this time with my daughter as well. We were not disappointed! For a start, we are very picky about our wine and it was a pleasure to be served by somebody who actually knew their stuff, and also let us try before we bought (we didn't even have to ask). None of us could fault the food at all- we all have different tastes and appetites but there was something to suit each of us. An old review on here states that the food is "basic" and badly presented- nothing could be further from the truth! My bacon and Brie baguette looked almost as good as it tasted!
The icing of the cake was the service. Deb looked after us throughout and was both friendly and chatty whilst still being extremely efficient (no dirty plates left on tables here!). She obviously takes pride in doing her job properly and certainly went the extra mile to make sure we had the best experience. My five year old daughter loved being shown how to flip and catch beer mats as well! If I ran a pub I would certainly want somebody just like her front of house.
We will definitely be visiting again soon, and also hope to stay overnight at some point. We loved the layout of the whole public area, and going by the photos on here the accommodation looks just as good!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Kathryn D
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were recommended to eat here by a friend and having also read the recent reviews on trip advisor we were really looking forward to a superb evening out for my husbands birthday. Whilst the food was mostly good there were quite a few minor things that let the restaurant down and would be really easy to fix.
The waitress who served our starters clearly didn't understand the correct way to serve and reached across us clumsily putting the plates down in front of us. The bottle of red wine that we ordered didn't come with the starters and we had to ask for it. I was driving and just wanted a glass of white wine - I asked what wines they had by the glass and was told that the only wine served by the glass was the house wine - which was mediocre to say the least. It surely wouldn't be difficult to have a few bottles of 'decent' wine available by the glass. My son ordered his steak medium rare - most of it was cooked medium well, with just a small part of it being medium. My husband and I both ordered the belly pork (which was delicious) but the menu said it was served with crackling (the best part!). When I asked the waitress why there was none on the plate we were told the the kitchen didn't have any. Creme brûlée was on the dessert menu - we ordered two, but there was only one left.
Apart from the steak being poorly cooked, the other things individually were quite minor, but put them all together and they spoilt what could have been an outstanding meal.
I hope the owners take our comments on board as they are meant to be constructive. We will probably come one more time to see as the restaurant has so much potential and the problems could be easily rectified.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank alstrostar
montauban, Owner at The Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thanks for your comments which I take on board. We do train our staff but clearly, as far as you are concerned, this was an 'off night' and for that I can only apologise. Did you raise the issues with our restaurant manager? I have no record of anybody having done so and your review came as something of a surprise given the content of many previous reviews.

Regarding the wine, we used to offer various wines by the glass but found that too often they were staying too long in the bottle and were therefore often past their best at service. We decided in consequence to only offer our house wines by the glass. They have proved very popular, although clearly not to your taste. For those customers who request something different, we are usually more than willing to open a specific bottle.

As for the pork belly, the crackling comes on top of the piece of meat itself. It is not stripped off and served separately so I am not entirely sure what is meant when writing "there was none on the plate"; it is on top of the meat.

In a similar vein to our Specials' board, we have a certain amount of desserts available but when they are gone, they are, as they say, 'gone'. Sometimes some desserts prove to be particularly popular and this was the case with the crème brulee. I sincerely wish that I could pre-empt all the tastes of our customers but, alas, in spite of trying, I have not been completely successful yet!

Finally, I do hope that you fulfil your statement to come one more time.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Definitely a home from home, well run hotel, great choices of food, lovely surroundings, made to feel at home by all the staff who were very curtious , I loved my room, spacious and very clean. I,d recommend this ideal family run hotel to anyone looking for service and comfort.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank paulphee4444
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I can not thank the staff and the management team enough for a top class stay. We stayed two nights and the can highly recommend staying here. Rooms very clean - Breakfast top class and the service given was fantastic. Will defiantly be going back with my family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We wife & self periodically have Sunday lunch "out". Being non-drivers our destination must be either within walkind distance, alternately on a bus route. I/we fancied that "somewhere different and or special", I remembered the "Forest Lodge" from a previous visit, checked the bus timetables. Booked a table to co-incide with the bus and "hey ho" all was set. Would it be worth the hour long journey? Would it live up to our previous experience there? Would the staff still be as pleasant and helpful? Would the food live up to expectations? Would there still be an excellent choice of cask beers? Guess what the answers to the above questions all had the same answer, 100% YES. We would thoroughly recommend the "FOREST LODGE" to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple