“Overpriced, inadequate food & facilities ”
Review of Widecombe Fair

Widecombe Fair
Ranked #80 of 178 Restaurants in Mansfield
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Arrived for in the evening for a meal. We have been previously about 6 months prior before the place had a refurb and they had a more extensive menu. And a menu of 2 meals for under £10. The menu has definitely changed and does not have much choice. I had nearly ordered the steak, but after reading the reviews here, I am glad I didn’t.

On arrival we were shown to a table and seated. We ordered drinks, service seemed good. We then ordered food.

I ordered the beef lasagne with a side of seasoned chips, my partner ordered an all day breakfast.

Whilst waiting for food I nipped to the toilet which has moved entrance slightly, the door was new, the corridor looked good and when I got to the ladies toilets and opened the door, no money had been spent there and it was as dyer. The ladies toilet was dingy with worn tiles and dirty. The toilet cubical was old and the seat didn’t fit the bowl and the door lock didn’t work. So you are sat there holding the door closed.

The sink is a tiny corner sink with a hot and cold tap. The water was freezing and I had to hold down the tap with one hand as I washed the other as it switches off quickly. Overall filthy toilets.

When food arrived, the lasagne was in a ceramic dish which was steaming hot, but all black burnt at the bottom like it had been reheated and burnt. The seasoned chips were not seasoned. And the garlic bread was that hard I struggled to cut it with my knife and folk, I basically didn’t eat it as it was like it had been reheated in a microwave and left to go cold before it was served. My husbands breakfast was fine, nothing to complain about there, except there was no black pudding and we weren’t told that prior to ordering.

Overall we had good customer experience but the food and facilities were poor and we wouldn’t spend £30 for 2 of us for a meal we didn’t really enjoy and is more expensive than the competitors around this area.

1  Thank Lucy E
Terry T, General Manager at Widecombe Fair, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Please could you call me on 01623 627122

Terry - General Manager

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was our third visit since the refurbishment, the first two were good, this one was not. The portion sizes have drastically reduced and we left feeling hungry. £5 for a prawn cocktail with a very small amount of prawns, although the halloumi fries were nice. We paid £9.59 for a chicken and bacon Caesar salad when it’s £3 cheaper AND better at the pub down the road. How on earth this pub can charge the prices it does for everyday pub food is beyond me, probably why the place was empty! Spend less on your refurbishment and keep your prices down, unfortunately you have priced yourselves out of the market.

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear that you feel our pricing is not right, we do have dishes from £4.99.

Hope to see you again soon

Terry and the team.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

In for a birthday treat with my mum lovely clean well presented restaurant with full variety of seating and even the larger people can fit in the booths. Wide range of food available the golden years menu is very good with some good old classics. Drinks were offered as soon as we sat down and our food order was taken quickly and efficiently by very pleasant staff. I ordered the mixed grill it is absolutely awesome very tasty overall a very nice birthday meal thankyou Widdecombe fair

1  Thank eliot g

Thank you for coming to our pub for your Mums birthday treat. Glad you and your mum had a great time.
Hope to see you again soon

Terry and the Team.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I visited last Wednesday and was seated by a nice gentlemen who then left a young lady, to take our orders. She made us feel welcomed instantly with a big grin on her face. I think her name was Ceris as i remember having a little laugh with her for not saying it correctly. Nothing was too much to ask for. Drinks arrived quickly, food was delicious. Will defiantly be coming back again and would 100% recommend to anyone to just pop in.

1  Thank dylan a

Thank you for your feedback.

Glad you enjoyed your stay, and yes Cerys is a great member of staff and always gives 100%

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I visited this pub after not visiting for a while. The place has been done up but the service has gone down hill. Myself and my partner arrived and the gentleman that showed us to ourespond seats was lovely. We ordered so far so good. My partners steak came out wrong. He sent this back along with his mushrooms as they'd been cremated he explained to the young girl serving us. So no problems they changed the steak but by the time his meal returned everything had gone cold and his mushrooms had gone missing. He asked for his mushrooms. He received mushrooms just as bad as the first lot however he left it and at the end of the meal politely asked the waitress how the mushrooms had been cooked as a chef himself he was curious. To which the reply he received was I don't know because I'm not a chef am I so I'm not in kitchen don't see them cooking. Very short and rude. We understand she didn't cook them but could of just gone and asked. The decor however was lovely but dirty I was sat under a lot of cobwebs. My partner wasn't even offered a poxy 50p off for his mushrooms never mind all the other agro. Used to visit a lot.

Thank you for your feedback.

Please could you give me a ring on 01623 627122.

Terry - General Manager