“Nice - but could be better”
Review of No 4 Wood Street

No 4 Wood Street
Ranked #16 of 165 Restaurants in Mansfield
Price range: US$26 - US$65
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Offering the highest quality in Fine dining within the local area. Recommended in the Michelin guide. We serve all styles of menu including Tasting Menus, A la Carte and Set Lunch and Sunday Lunch menus.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Nice - but could be better”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

First time visiting since the change of owners - with mixed views of the experience. Menu choices were limited and you no longer get an amuse bouchée , which we thought was a shame. Food was tasty and well presented - but on reflection quiet expensive. We ate here mid-week so the restaurant was quiet. They only had one waitress and we bought possibly only one chef because service was a little on the slow side. The restaurant was also really cold

1 Thank Sand1112

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Very tasty food - and a gin/ cheese lover's paradise”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We found a deal on Groupon and booked it. Took us an hour to get here, and it was worth the drive for a pleasant evening out. Even without the deal we thought it was well prices. £10-!6 for a main and around £5-£6 for a starter. On getting there we didn't think it was obvious which door to go it, but there you go. It fronts the carpark and you go upstairs to the restaurant.

Food - plenty of gluten free options, only 1 of the starters was a no go, but everything else could be adapted. The Ham Hock and goats cheese starters were very tasty. Same with the puddings.

Choice of cheese on the dessert was brilliant, at least 8 from memory.

Very helpful/ friendly staff. Made it feel very relaxed - you order as you have a drink in the waiting area, which I am a fan of. For a Thursday night I thought it seemed quite busy with about 6 couples and a bigger party of 8.

Now the gin... LOTS of choice of English, Scottish, European and American gins. I am not a gin soak.. perhaps when I retire :), but do like the odd sip and found some here I had never heard of. Very nice indeed. A nice point of difference I thought.

If you are considering it - go. It made for a very nice evening.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Groupon treat night in Mansfield . The ten course tasting menu started out with a liliputian but delicious parfait and we were joking about buying a bag of chips on the way home. Three and a half hours later I waddled out feeling I could not cram in another tiny cube of jelly or micro leaf. Over all it was a good experience. No 4 is very discrete and entering downstairs by a the loos is bewildering. However the staff were pleasant. We do not want to have a looming waiter telling us about the provenance and method of each dish so the low key service was just fine. As a menu I am sure I would find the full size a la carte versions quite delicious. If there were low points I was a bit disappointed with the Lincolnshire Poacher cheese which is a well known local treat and this one had seen better days. However as it was about the size of a postage stamp I am being picky. For a Friday night it was a bit quiet. However , worth the trip .

1 Thank Rosemary R
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Simply ......another excellent meal”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We visited this restaurant yesterday for a 3 course meal via Groupon. Great choice and excellent food. We do this regularly as No 4 is one of the best restaurants in the area. Yes it is a little quiet and possibly a little bright but the feel is "genuine" and we have never been disappointed. Next step is to book a weekend meal without groupon, sort out transport as we don't live in Mansfield and sample that Gin menu!! Well done again on superb food.

1 Thank Jill C
“expected better”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I was a little disappointed when I purchased a voucher for £69 to find that the taster meal was £84 for 2 people. I'm sure there was more of a discount than that when advertised. There was a second taster menus which was more expensive which looked closer to the kind of discounted price I thought I'd paid for. I love fine dining and often use taster menus as a way to check a restaurant out. On this basis I don't think I'll be back. The menus was too simple with cheap ingredients. On previous taster meals at similar price I have had scallops and such. There was too much religion of ingredients with the same onion chutney making an appearance a number of times. Also each desert has sorbet. I'm also accustomed to the waiting staff giving a full break down of all the elements on the plate. The menu was just left fir us to see what we were eating. Having g said that the staff were lovely as was the setting. Finally I don't think coffee and petit fours can be classed as a course - especially when the petit fours were 2 chocolates - one bitter dark chocolate and one white and the size of a ball bearing. Poor effort really.

Visited August 2014