“Great stay at Markham Moor”

Travelodge Retford Markham Moor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markham Moor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great stay at Markham Moor”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

absolutely excellent stay. Couldn't rate highly enough. Very spacious comfortable room, perfect bed, very personable and thoughtful staff. Never stayed at travelodge before but will definitely do so in future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank lizmand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed here for two nights whilst attending an event near by. The reception staff were lovely and were perfectly happy to help with any questions or queries that we had. The rooms were clean and tidy. It was lovely and quiet too which helped us get a good nights sleep. We had booked a family room with a double bed and a single. Both beds were comfortable and both of us had a good nights sleep. The staff were accommodating in every way. Great stay. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DebJ123
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Allow yourself about a day to find this one. If you arrive after dark abandon hope. NO signage whatsoever and stuck in the middle of an HGV overnight park. My room (39) was clean and comfortable but VERY noisy ALL night with heavy lorries passing below the window. Bring some earplugs. Couldn't get shower to work. Little Chef next door was good. Make sure your satnav is up to date and try to arrive in the light.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank Chas W
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Retford Markham Moor, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Chas W, we are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Travelodge and that you found it difficult to locate the hotel. It is also regrettable you were disturbed by noise from the lorries. We do try to reduce noise in our hotels by having insulated walls and double glazing. We expect our facilities to be in good working order so we will ensure our hotel management team are made aware of your concerns so they are able to make repairs.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst attending an event nearby. Booked a family room, which had a very comfortable double bed and 2 singles. Room was big enough for us as we only slept there and was very clean! We had a room at the back, on the ground floor, which was lovely and quiet. Arrived at 11.30pm and the car park was quite full, which I took to mean, the travelodge was pretty full too, but we never heard a sound from anyone else!
Overall a pleasant, cheap & cheerful stay which did the job for us!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back (away from the A1) are quieter!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank amwstalybridge
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in past 3 years. Staff always welcoming and friendly.Has always been very clean and tidy and has also now been refurbished.Slight noise from busy A1 road,but certainly nothing to keep you awake.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Barry G
Cumbria
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I had booked two rooms here for 2nd June as we had decided to visit family in Notts after a degree ceremony at Ely, before travelling home to Cumbria. We had had a dreadful experience for the previous two nights at the Orchard Park Travelodge at Cambridge (see review) and I was absolutely dreading what I might find here. It's true that the outside was confusing, and we went round in a circle and narrowly avoided going back on to the A1 North, but I could see that, despite the traffic, this was in a much more pleasant, leafy location. Inside at reception it looked a bit gloomy, and my heart sank. But when we were shown to the rooms, I was delighted. They were so comfortable, light and clean, with plenty of hanging space, storage and lighting, and a general air of comfort lacking in the Cambridge hotel. There were also curtains at the window, and although they weren't wide enough to close properly without detaching one end from the rail, there was a very private, leafy view outside.

However, the trade-off was that the 'refurbished' bathroom was quite unpleasant. I don't know how it had been refurbed, apart from maybe a de-mould and grout. It didn't feel fresh, and there were some unpleasant-looking streaks on the toilet seat lid. I went straight to the receptionist (manager?), a sweet, lovely man who immediately grabbed some cleaning products and came to our room. He spent 10-15 minutes going over everything in the bathroom, can't fault him, but the seat lid still looked horribly streaky. He was apologetic and said that it was ingrained and mustn't have been changed when the rooms were 'refurbed'. I felt a bit better as I knew that he had gone over everything, and when I asked my daughter about her bathroom, she said that it was fine.

There was no in-house restaurant so we went across the way to the Little Chef, I think it was, and the four of us (me, hubby, daughter and grand-daughter, all good trenchermen!) had a lovely tuck-in, multiple drinks and desserts for about £36 quid the lot, not bad at all. The staff were great, and so friendly that it made me homesick for my home territory.

I would recommend this hotel, even with the bathroom glitch.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the trees.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I needed somewhere to stop overnight to break a long journey and was surprised how clean and comfortable it was. It seems to be an upgraded version of the old Travelodge I have stayed in before. Signage could have been better.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

#1 of 1 in Dukeries Mill
Travelodge Mansfield Hotel
Travelodge Mansfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sutton in Ashfield

Been to Travelodge Retford Markham Moor? Share your experiences!