“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cosener's House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Abingdon
The Cosener's House
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
London
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic place! Tucked away in a really romantic riverside location, I had a lovely cosy room with a great view. The welcome and service were first class and the place offered loads of character and charm. Although I didn't dine there, the restaurant offers a really good menu and those who were dining seemed to be having a good time. The breakfast buffet was excellent and I had a great window seat with views across the garden to the Thames. Even better, all this for £55.20! Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Abingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

We recently used the Cosener's House for our mid-week wedding reception. From start to finish, it has been perfect.

On making our initial enquiry, the wedding coordinator was really helpful and accommodating of our requests. There was regular contact between us and Cosener's to ensure that all of our requirements were met.

As for the actual wedding reception, we couldn't fault it. Our wedding coordinator was on site for the duration, and was available for any queries or requests which we had. The atmosphere was delightful, with the christmas decorations adding to our winter wedding feel.

The food served was excellent, and all of our guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

The staff were very friendly and willing to help, again contributing to the success of our special day. It seemed like nothing was too much trouble.

Congratulations and thanks to all of the team present!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roving-Rye-Farmer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

The first impressions when walking through the gates was great, very grand and welcoming, this same impression went all through the rest of my stay. If you are looking for quality and great customer service this is the location.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Lilliapot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

We've just spent a lovely few days here attending a wedding. First of all, what the visitor needs to appreciate is that this is not a hotel. It's a conference centre - and a very good one at that. In fact, many hotels could learn a lot I'd they followed the example of Coseners House.

The setting is splendid. No, it's not that easy to find, but so what - the setting is charming and full of character. Being off a main thoroughfare means that it's also quiet with no passing traffic, drunken revellers in the street etc. we had a room in the 'old' part of the building. By hotel standards, it was a bit basic, but very clean with a good en suite.

The staff were superb. Friendly, helpful and efficient and the actual wedding was orchestrated with almost military precision, making it a very relaxed day for he bride and groom. Very professional indeed. The food was excellent too.

So thank you and well done to the Coseners House - we had a fabulous time!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris J
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Yes, when you find it the first impressions are superb. However it is where it is and I am surprised not all local taxi drivers know where it is! Room (new wing) was quite basic and clean, however the shower tray did not want to empty so had to keep turning the shower off! If you happen to be given a room at the end of the wing then be prepared to open a lot of fire doors to get there. The walls are incredibly thin and appear to have no soundproofing, but obviously the couple in the next room were enjoying themselves and didn't mind! Didn't have an evening meal but breakfast could not be faulted.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the old part - must be better soundproofed!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pablo1950
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

I appreciate some other travellers may have experienced problems with this venue, but my one night stay was really good value for money. I agree that the hotel might be difficult to find, but this is partly due to the traffic system in Abingdon. if you were walking its a easy walk to the town centre. On arrival, my room was clean and had a spacious bathroom. Everything in the room was in good working order and towels provided of good quality. You might want to have your own shower gel/shampoo with you as the one provided was ok but not a known brand.
I needed to leave early for a meeting and took breakfast at 07:30. Tea, coffee and a large basket of toast was quickly provided for my 4 colleagues and I. There was a good choice at the buffet breakfast and the hot food was replenished a number of times without the staff having to be asked. The staff were pleasant and helpful throughout my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I would strongly advise to NEVER stay at this hotel. Not only is it incredibly difficult to find (even two taxi drivers couldn't find it), but it is not the photo above. Or at least you never see this view. My bathroom was not cleaned. I don't mean it was just not well cleaned. I mean not cleaned at ALL. There was rubbish in the bin. The bathtub had clearly been used that morning by someone else. Hairs everywhere. And the maintenance of the room was abominable! The shower didn't work. Paint was coming off of the walls in many places because of water damage that had not been fixed. The television did not work. The floor was not vacuumed. I did feel fortunate in that I had clean bed linens, but that was the only attention that the room had received. The walls are very, very thin so that even if your neighbours are not particularly noisy, you will still hear them. Absolutely unacceptable. I didn't dare address this upon check out as the woman was curt and not interested in any of my opinions. I think that should the area hotels be booked that next trip I shall bring a tent rather than stay here!

Room Tip: Don't pick this hotel. That is the only way to ensure not receiving a bad room!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Anonymous216
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Crown & Thistle
De Vere Oxford Thames
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorchester-on-Thames

Been to The Cosener's House? Share your experiences!