“Wedding in Abingdon”

The Cosener's House
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have been in Cosener's house for my cousin's wedding: stayed here for 2 nights and had a good time.
The place is an old fascinating building surrounded by gardens full of flowers and near to
Thames channels. The view is just beautiful.

At the arrival, they give me a single room that I didn't liked: I have asked at the reception to give me another one and they gave me an amazing twin room with huge bathroom for the same price of the single.
The breakfast is very rich, they have both continental and English specialities.

The day of the wedding, they arranged the restaurant area beautifully, the service was impeccable: the food was good, they made a lot of changes to their menus to allow the bride to have all what she wanted.

At the reception they were very patient and kind, giving me a map of Abingdon, arranging taxi and triyng to be as helpful as possible.

Room Tip: 1) Stay away from room n°11!!! it's tiny and in front of the kitchen: you'd have to keep you...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lilithdelicious

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed for just one night on business. The hotel is set close enough to the town centre to get around easily, but also far enough away from any main roads. Surrounded by lakes, trees and complete silence, the hotel is very beautiful however a little difficult to find! Managed to find my way though in the dark and rain, using just Google Maps!
My room was very cosy and tidy, with some traditional furniture but also a good sized TV.
I stayed for both 3 course evening meal and breakfast, both of which had a huge variety of choice, and were cooked to a very high quality. The restaurant had beautiful views over the lakes which surround the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Garry S
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Stayed here on a business trip for 3 nights, after my previous experience in the Foxcombe lodge the week before i went in open minded. I shouldnt have worried, what a place set just back from abingdon town center surrounded by old builings and waterways.

The staff were friendly always happy to help and chatty, when i checked in you walk up this grand old sweeping stair case before heading down the corridor to the rooms.

By the looks of things i stayed in a newer or refurbished part of the hotel, looked and smelt new however unsure as to wether all the hotel looks in the same condition.

My room was number 13 quite spacious and nicely decorated. TV was wall mounted so the picture was viewable when in bed. Bathroom was clean along with the rest of the room, and tea making facilities had plenty of options. The shower in the room was top notch, ive never quite had a "power shower" like it. When turned up full i got an idea of how rioters feel with the riot hose excellant for waking up in morning and so warm aswell!

Internet was via network cable which i believe if its not in the room you can ask for one at reception. Good connection easily streams video from the net sometimes abit sluggish good for general browsing i suppose. WIFI is available but it comes at a charge.

Food i cannot comment, however being less than 5 minutes from the town center its worth a wander in theres indian, chinese, italian, and thai restuarants dotted around. I can comment on the breakfast however which was a buffet style affair no complaints food was nice and good selection, also eating breakfast whilst over looking the scenery and river flowing outside was great.

Overall id recommend this hotel to anyone, good value for money first class customer service and well kept rooms with comfy beds.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I was in Abingdon for a meeting at The Cosener's House in February and also stayed there. I have stayed there several times over the past few years since I have been working on an experiment in England. It is very traditional - I don't know how old it is - but it is well kept. The radiator in my room had an air lock and had heat only in part of it, but it was fixed quickly once I reported it - even in the evening. My room was small but very comfortable and overlooked the Thames - I could hear birds chirping. I enjoyed it. I also ate in three restaurants, two of which I had been to several times before: Bella Napoli, The Lemon Grove, and Dilraj - all easy walking distance from Cosener's House - they were all good.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house with a room overlooking the Thames. If you don't want to climb up and dow...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2013

What a fantastic place! Tucked away in a really romantic riverside location, I had a lovely cosy room with a great view. The welcome and service were first class and the place offered loads of character and charm. Although I didn't dine there, the restaurant offers a really good menu and those who were dining seemed to be having a good time. The breakfast buffet was excellent and I had a great window seat with views across the garden to the Thames. Even better, all this for £55.20! Highly recommended.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We recently used the Cosener's House for our mid-week wedding reception. From start to finish, it has been perfect.

On making our initial enquiry, the wedding coordinator was really helpful and accommodating of our requests. There was regular contact between us and Cosener's to ensure that all of our requirements were met.

As for the actual wedding reception, we couldn't fault it. Our wedding coordinator was on site for the duration, and was available for any queries or requests which we had. The atmosphere was delightful, with the christmas decorations adding to our winter wedding feel.

The food served was excellent, and all of our guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

The staff were very friendly and willing to help, again contributing to the success of our special day. It seemed like nothing was too much trouble.

Congratulations and thanks to all of the team present!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roving-Rye-Farmer
Reviewed 15 December 2012

The first impressions when walking through the gates was great, very grand and welcoming, this same impression went all through the rest of my stay. If you are looking for quality and great customer service this is the location.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Lilliapot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorchester-on-Thames
Travelodge Oxford Abingdon Road Hotel

Been to The Cosener's House? Share your experiences!