“Excellent lunch”
Review of The Flowing Well

The Flowing Well
Reserve with OpenTable
The Flowing Well is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Abingdon
Price range: US$0 - US$38
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We have just had a 3 course Sunday lunch at the flowing well which couldn't be faulted. The staff were lovely and very attentive. All 3 courses were delicious - the chocolate brownie was the best we have ever had and all courses were very generous.

Oxford
“Poor”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Had a cold steak, not a big deal I thought & I returned it. The waitress took it away, then returned a few minutes later to tell me it was the perfect temperature, there was nothing wrong with it, I was flustered but protested that it was definitely cold. I did get another, different & smaller steak which was hot as were my reheated peas & refried chips. I was charged for the original choice.
I went back this morning to suggest to the manager that he retrain his staff, turns out the staff touched the steak with their fingers & declared it the perfect temperature, but that it was too cold to reheat, hence the replacement smaller steak. Manager said he would punish waitress, poor girl, I suggested he train his staff to listen instead. Too much drama, won't go back here.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Meg J
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Great birthday lunch”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Cracking food, friendly service and a great outdoor spot to share a birthday celebration sunday lunch. A great improvement with the new owners really having sorted things out and an interesting menu. Good beers and family friendly.

1 Thank Ewan S
Oxford
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We recently heard that the Flowing Well had reopened & couldn't wait to try it. This pub or gastro-pub is in a lovely setting overlooking the Oxfordshire countryside. Inside, they have changed things around slightly & by doing so have given the place a lovely homely feel. We visited the pub on a Saturday afternoon. Was really pleased to hear that they serve food all day. We opted for a skinny burger (no bun hooray!) and a standard burger. Generous portions, good burgers, lovely salad garnish. We also had 2 deserts and a bottle of wine to share. Total bill came to under £50.00 - I don't think this is over the top. I would say this is value for money.
I read the reviews below about the Flowing Well being overpriced !! Well, you get what you pay for = nice surroundings, friendly staff & good food.

1 Thank Ginbox
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“lovely place but overpriced”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

After many changes over the years the Flowing Well is a nice pub again (rather than trying to be a Gastro-pub), with lovely views and a wonderful setting. We went for a quick sunday lunch and found the staff very friendly, food and drink however rather overpriced. A glass of sparkling water for nearly 2 pounds, a pint of Fosters for 3.70, (pretty average) Burger for 12.95 and a Caesar salad with lots of onions for 10.50 were too expensive for our liking.
If we go again then only for the nice surroundings.