“Friendly staff, pleasant dinner, clean, but dated, rooms”

Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, pleasant dinner, clean, but dated, rooms”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The staff were friendly throughout the hotel. The evening dinner was very pleasant and the menu offered a good variety of choices. The menu was much better than 'pub food' available in the nearby pubs, as it was proper quality restaurant food at a very decent price. Well done to the chef and kitchen staff! Breakfast, however, was a bit average for the price.

We had a family room for 2 nights on the first floor. On the plus side it was very clean. But it was very dated. The beds were fine, but the bathroom was in desperate need of refurbishment, and the bathroom door needed replacing as it was so tatty. The shower did not regulate its temperature very well. Due to this I would say that the standard rooms are overpriced for what they provide. I would recommend booking one of the Connoisseur rooms, as these have been updated recently (but obviously are a bit more expensive).

I would stay again, but only in one of the updated rooms.

Room Tip: If you have no mobility problems book a 1st floor room, as you can hear the footsteps above (so my i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for leaving such a positive review regarding our staff and restaurant food. They will be posted on the team notice board for all to see.

I hope you'll consider staying with us again when in central Oxfordshire.

Regards,

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Central England
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Didn't think this sort of hotel existed any more. Think back to the days when Post House was the height of commercial traveller chic (if you're old enough).
Friendly staff, who tried hard, but faded decor, long soulless corridors, limited menu in the restaurant and limited wine selection. Also, sadly, rather tasteless food even though the menu looked interesting enough.
My room was a twin with probably the narrowest beds I have ever seen but the main problem was that it was freezing cold and the only heating was rather ineffective electric wall heater. Turned it up full blast and it was just about okay by bed-time but then (of course), hot and stuffy at 2am!
Bathrooms have been refurbished but a couple of fittings already broken, which does not bode well for the future. Wi-Fi signal good in reception but had faded to 'weak' by the time I reached the room (see above about the long corridor).
As others have said: tries hard but needs to do better. I don't know what else there is in the area but I would have thought you could find better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: Some traffic noise from the access road to nearby Tesco Superstore. Rooms at the front probably quie...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel following your stay with us. I'm sorry that you were unhappy with some elements of your stay, many of which we hope to address in the coming months.

Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

As you can tell from the title, things didn't start well. The rooms are clean, however dated, the hotel needs a makeover, breakfast was ok, nothing special. Plenty of parking, a bit of a walk into town, not to far.

Functional is a superb description. A bit expensive for what it is.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review. I'd be happy to look into this further for you and offer an explanation as to why you didn’t get a double room. If you contact me on abingdon.gm@four-pillars.co.uk with your name and arrival date I’ll investigate immediately.

Regards,
Ben

Travellers are raving about these Abingdon hotels

Devon
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Recently stayed here with a group of friends - a mixed review. First the good - excellent parking and friendly staff on the front desk who had remembered my room request. The bad though -r as a large group (20) we were in the Conservatory for our meals. This might be fine in the summer but in October it was freezing (one small fan heater did nothing to help) and the lighting was so bad we couldn't even read the menus. The excuse from the waitress was that the bulbs were the energy saving variety and would get brighter as they warmed up - they didn't and nor did we. As we were staying for 2 nights we had hoped that the main course menu would change each night but no on both nights it was fish, chicken or vegetarian, as neither my wife nor I eat fish or want veggie we were stuck with chicken both times.
Finishing our dinners around 10.30 and as residents we thought we would retire to the bar to continue the evenings but no - 10.45, last orders please and down came the shutters!!!! Doesn't this place want to a) look after its patrons and b) make some money.
As a large group we tried to make light of all of this and to see the funny side of it but in the cold light of day it's not really good enough.

Room Tip: Top floor, overlooking the car park will be the quietest.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lord_Brett_Sinclair
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review following your groups visit to the hotel. Clearly there were some disappointing elements of your stay for which I offer my sincerest apologies.

I'm sorry we haven’t had the chance to discuss these in person but I hope that you will be able to accept my assurances that the parts of your stay that were disappointing will be address and rectified.

Douai
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights one weekend with my aunt whilst searching for accommodation in the local area.

The parking facilities were very good and there was plenty of space. The receptionist was very helpful and clear, although there was no (obvious) lift to the upstairs and no one offered to help us carry our cases up.

The room itself was a pretty ok twin room, although the decor was a bit dated and it smelt slightly musty. It was quite dimly lit. The sheets and the bathroom were clean. The wifi access was perfectly fine once you had managed to log in, as I did have a little trouble with one web browser, but eventually got it to work.

The location was very convenient for me.

We ordered breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was very good, and I also had a continental breakfast in the room the day my aunt left. This was very handy and I was offered a good selection of food. The dinner was fairly average but the staff were very pleasant and the service was of a good speed.

Overall, although this hotel was nothing amazing the service was good, the food was fine, and it was great for what I needed so I would use it again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I'm pleased that were able to accommodate most of your requirements and I was happy to read that you would return to the hotel.

I noted your comments about luggage assistance, please accept my apologies that this wasn’t offered when you checked in. I shall reiterate our offer of luggage assistance to our Reception Team.

suffolk
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel just needs a bit of investment. Tired rooms, scruffy carpets and grubby paintwork spoil what could be a pleasant and useful business venue. Restaurant limited but good breakfast and bar serves some good wine. Staff work hard and are helpful and pleasant, they deserve some investment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff, in my opinon they are our greatest asset and they will be pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.

Major investment in the hotel is planned and will begin once the remaining details have been ironed out. I am sure this will make a huge impact at the property, but in the meantime we are focusing on the cleanliness of our rooms and service in our Food and Beverage areas.

Thanks again for the review,
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here for one night recently on business trip, decent quality hotel good value.
Didn't use the hotel restaurant for dinner, but did for breakfast which was good quality and service was also of a good standard.
The rooms are of typical standard for a 3 star hotel, bit tired in places but ok

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your breakfast; in our opionon its the most important meal we serve and its good to read we got it right during your stay.

Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel
Oxford Spires Hotel
#12 of 44 in Oxford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,689 reviews
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel

Been to Oxford Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!