“Decent budget hotel, food very good”

Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
milton keynes
“Decent budget hotel, food very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed for one night only but was there for three days in total at a training session. Staff were all helpful and seemed well organised. Good location and easy to find.
The room was a decent size with 2 nice arm chairs. Bed was comfortable and the heater was effective.
The bathroom was a bit "tired" and the shower seemed to really only have a hot or cold option. The slightest movement took it from one to the other.

The food that I experienced was all good, especially breakfast and evening meal (cooked to order). The buffet lunch was ok but nothing special.

Overall it was decent value for a 3* budget offering.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I am glad we were able to meet all of your requirements during the time you stayed with us.

I've noted your comments regarding the conference lunch and will pass these on to the Head Chef.

Thank you again.

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Lancashire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Four Pillars & it was excellent yet again, the price we paid was very reasonable and the food during the weekend was really good & when we checked in we were given 2 25% off vouchers for the restaurant. The staff are very attentive & very obliging, there is plenty of car parking spaces and the grounds are nicely kept. We had an event in the conservatory on the Sat nice & the food was again excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a positive review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased we were able to meet the requirements of your group and I hope that you will continue to use the hotel for your future events.

Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I came here for an Olly Murs / Bruno Mars tribute night. Fantastic night was had by all in our party, the food was good and mostly everyone was up dancing. I stayed in a twin room with a friend, which was small but comfortable. Only a short walk from several pubs which we enjoyed before heading back for our dinner and tribute night. Fantastic value for what we paid.

My only complaint – the breakfast was awful. They ran out of pretty much all of the hot food and a long queue started to form. When I finally got to the front of the queue there were no sausages at all and only the scraps at the bottom of everything else. After waiting 10 minutes there was still no sign of any sausages so I left with a disappointing cold plate of bacon, scrambled egg, beans and a hash brown.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed the tribute night and that your stay overall was "fantastic value".

I noted your comment regarding breakfast and please accept my apologies that the breakfast buffet ran a little short at the time of your visit.

I hope that you will consider attending one of our speciality nights again in the future.

ben
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

The hotel is clean and the workers are very courteous. The only thing I did not like was that, the whole week they serve the same kind breakfast. But it was good anyway. Maybe the problem was that I was not used to the English breakfast (The meats were a little oily).

Room Tip: I staid in the ground floor and I did not have problems with noise or any other kind of intermission...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I'm glad we were able to accomodate your needs during your stay.

I noted your comments regarding breakfast and we are in the process of reviewing the current offering with the hope that we can vary some of the items on a daily basis.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel and I hope that you will stay with us again when in Abingdon.

Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I went to an Ollie Murs/Bruno Mars tribute night at the Four Pillars. The 2 tribute guys were excellent, especially Bruno Mars and had everyone up dancing all night until 1.00am. The meal was quite nice with a choice of menu. I had melon with summer berries, chicken breast with a mustard sauce and vegetables and a selection of cheese and biscuits. My husband ordered the fishcakes for main but when it came it was just 'one' fishcake on a bed of lettuce which was more like a starter. He sent it back and ordered the chicken which the waitress did no problem but I think this should be taken off the menu for a main as there were not even vegetables with it. The room was very spacious and we had a lovely breakfast. The drinks were quite reasonable. Overall very good value and will come again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed the tribute night; we're hoping to add some more nights to this years events calendar.

I noted the comment regarding your husbands main course and apologise if his first choice was disappointing. Our Head Chef will follow up these comments with the kitchen team.

Thank you again for leaving a review, we hope to welcome you back to the Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel in the near future.

Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here on several occasions whilst on business. Check in very efficient and friendly. Rooms..... good aspects: nice large room with decent bed and the bonus of 2 large comfy armchairs. Free wifi a bonus. Less good bits : odd smell throughout hotel (almost like damp smell). Rooms and especially the bathrooms are tired and dated. Small lcd fixed on wall. Overall, OK for one night, well located for Tesco next door, and nearby amenities. I wouldnt stay here with family or on leisure. Business rate of £79 a tad over priced. All in all, and OK hotel that resembles "Crossroads" for those that remember the TV series.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review. As stated in some of my previous replies we hope to fully refurbish the majority of our bedrooms over the forthcoming year with a view to modernising the furniture and decor.

I hope that you will continue to use the hotel throughout the course of the year.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Recently stayed here for two nights whilst working in the area. Ideal location close to the A34. Hotel staff efficient and friendly. My room was up to the standard I expected for this grade of hotel.
Didn't eat in the restaurant as the menu wasn't to my liking, however there are plenty of other places to eat within walking distance. On the flip side, the hot buffet breakfast was one of the best I have tasted in many years.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to meet all your requirements.

We are just about to change our menu content and pricing structure in the Bar and Grill. I hope that on your next visit we will be able to tempt you to eat at the hotel.

Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel
Oxford Spires Hotel
#12 of 44 in Oxford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,663 reviews
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel

Been to Oxford Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!