“Good Budget Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Hertfordshire
“Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nice friendly, professional and informative welcome on arrival. Our room was located on the ground floor overlooking the car park, a first floor room at the back of the hotel would have been a preferred option. The room was spacious, clean, well equipped and had its own independent heating which was a bonus and the room warmed up quickly. It was nice to have two windows which opened fully. The bathroom was of ample size with a full size bath, again, bright and clean.
Tea and coffee making facilities were provided, the bed was large and comfortable.
Breakfast was delicious, plenty of everything hot and well cooked. Nice relaxed ambiance.
Bar and waiting staff were very pleasant if a bit quirky :)
Only downside (if you could call it that) was location, i.e. on a retail park with a 20 minute walk to the town centre

Room Tip: I would suggest a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Newquay
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Was so looking forward to my stay and the guy on reception was brilliant but from then on it went downhill. The rooms despite a connoisseur upgrade are small and a little tired. The restaurant menu is uninspiring and the food is even worse, I believe Iceland have better. Old warmed through potatoes barely edible and you had to search for the fish in the batter. We gave up trying to find it in the end and just sent it back. Hotel overall ok because of location but don't eat there!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Jane B
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry that the food served to you in the Ox Bar and Grill fell short of your expectations. Our current menu format has recently been introduced and we will take on board your comments as we move this concept forward.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review. I hope that you will continue to use the Four Pillars Hotel group.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Lack of basic customer service from reception staff. She offered us a room for £109 per night, only to discover on laterooms that we can get 2 nights for the same amount! We have been kept waiting while she checked in other people who came after us. Then she refused to give us a double room as requested... and then refused to put the twin beds together to turn it into a double for us... I will never go there again...very rude and arrogant - this person is not skilled to work in the hospitality industry.

This keeps adding on: now the manager insists that we use a duvet with a big blood stain in the middle of it - he says they are all stained. Anyone from health standards inspectors for hotels reading this ?!

Believe it or not, the manager was swearing on the corridor after turning his back to us - I have never experienced anything like this in my life!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank John4545678
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay at the hotel. Naturally I am disappointed that not only were there aspects of your stay you felt were unsatisfactory, but also that you felt unable to share your concerns with me directly.

Whilst I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay there are a number of key details that you have left out of your review. There are also comments in your review that are simply not true.

You enquired in person at the hotel as to the availability of bedrooms and were told clearly by the Receptionist that we only had twin rooms available. You were then offered the best available rate of £109 for a 2 night stay. At this point you declined to make a booking and left the hotel.

Later in the day you made a booking via Laterooms.com for a room type of “Double/Twin” with a further written request for a double. This room type means that we can allocate you a twin or a double depending on the availability of the hotel. You knew at this point the hotel only had twin rooms available, but still chose to add the request for a double room. It is also worth noting that the rate you paid on Laterooms was £109 for 2 nights. The same as you were quoted at the hotel.

Upon your return to the hotel you did have to wait to check in because your booking had not yet been received at the hotel by Laterooms. You left the Reception desk and as there were other guests waiting our Receptionist checked these guests in whilst she waited for your booking from Laterooms to be received.

You were not refused a double room upon check in. You had been told earlier in the day that the hotel only had twin rooms available. If we had a double room available, you would have been given it. We are in the service industry and do our utmost to meet all the requests of our guests but in this case there was simply nothing we could do.

After you checked in you asked if we could push your beds together to make a double. We did this for you, despite recommending against it as the beds could easily come apart in the night. There was a small mark on the duvet provided and once this was spotted we changed it immediately and disposed on the very duvet. You were not expected to use this, nor were you told that all the duvets are in the same condition.

The Duty Manager who changed your bedding did not make any comments upon leaving your room and would certainly not swear at a guest under any circumstance.

As you can see from our previous reviews we work to ensure that all of our guests stays are enjoyable and that all their requirements are met. I am disappointed that you have chosen to leave such a one sided review.

If you wish to discuss this with me further please do so via ben.sanders@four-pillars.co.uk

Yours sincerely,
Ben Sanders

Travellers are raving about these Abingdon hotels

milton keynes
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed for one night only but was there for three days in total at a training session. Staff were all helpful and seemed well organised. Good location and easy to find.
The room was a decent size with 2 nice arm chairs. Bed was comfortable and the heater was effective.
The bathroom was a bit "tired" and the shower seemed to really only have a hot or cold option. The slightest movement took it from one to the other.

The food that I experienced was all good, especially breakfast and evening meal (cooked to order). The buffet lunch was ok but nothing special.

Overall it was decent value for a 3* budget offering.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I am glad we were able to meet all of your requirements during the time you stayed with us.

I've noted your comments regarding the conference lunch and will pass these on to the Head Chef.

Thank you again.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Four Pillars & it was excellent yet again, the price we paid was very reasonable and the food during the weekend was really good & when we checked in we were given 2 25% off vouchers for the restaurant. The staff are very attentive & very obliging, there is plenty of car parking spaces and the grounds are nicely kept. We had an event in the conservatory on the Sat nice & the food was again excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a positive review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased we were able to meet the requirements of your group and I hope that you will continue to use the hotel for your future events.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I came here for an Olly Murs / Bruno Mars tribute night. Fantastic night was had by all in our party, the food was good and mostly everyone was up dancing. I stayed in a twin room with a friend, which was small but comfortable. Only a short walk from several pubs which we enjoyed before heading back for our dinner and tribute night. Fantastic value for what we paid.

My only complaint – the breakfast was awful. They ran out of pretty much all of the hot food and a long queue started to form. When I finally got to the front of the queue there were no sausages at all and only the scraps at the bottom of everything else. After waiting 10 minutes there was still no sign of any sausages so I left with a disappointing cold plate of bacon, scrambled egg, beans and a hash brown.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed the tribute night and that your stay overall was "fantastic value".

I noted your comment regarding breakfast and please accept my apologies that the breakfast buffet ran a little short at the time of your visit.

I hope that you will consider attending one of our speciality nights again in the future.

ben
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The hotel is clean and the workers are very courteous. The only thing I did not like was that, the whole week they serve the same kind breakfast. But it was good anyway. Maybe the problem was that I was not used to the English breakfast (The meats were a little oily).

Room Tip: I staid in the ground floor and I did not have problems with noise or any other kind of intermission...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I'm glad we were able to accomodate your needs during your stay.

I noted your comments regarding breakfast and we are in the process of reviewing the current offering with the hope that we can vary some of the items on a daily basis.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel and I hope that you will stay with us again when in Abingdon.

Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Milton Hill, Abingdon
De Vere Oxford Thames
Travelodge Oxford Abingdon Road Hotel
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Oxford

Been to Oxford Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!