“Nice atmosphere”

and 1 more site!
Kingfisher Barn Holiday Cottages
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed in the cottages for a couple of nights with friends as a hen party. Excellent for our purpose as it accommodated everyone and was a very social environment. Quite remote so didn't disturb anyone (also meaning that this would be a quite place to stay)

Didn't have breakfast, had self catered but everything you needed was there i.e. pots pans, cutlery, dishwasher etc.

Would recommend to anyone, I can see it being a lovely place to take a family.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katherine S

Reviewed 12 January 2014

SHORT SUMMARY: The atmosphere was quaint and rustic, possibly out dated, but in a charming kind of way. It was the most affordable option and we certainly felt it was good value for money. Lovely, welcoming staff, and very helpful; above and beyond!

FULL SUMMARY: My partner and I visited Kingfisher Barn last week and we had a very nice stay. The setting was beautiful and gave the impression you were miles away in the countryside, even though it is just a lovely 10min walk to the centre of Abingdon. The full English and coffee were not the best, but it was better than nothing and there was a selection of cereals and toast to choose from also. They do have very hard water in the area which leaves a film on many dishes giving at first glance an appearance of dirtiness, but this can't be helped. The shower mat on the other hand was covered with mildew on the bottom side, which was the one major downer of our stay. But the water pressure was great and we had lots of hot water. Very warm room, comfy bed, and free wi-fi worked well for us in room 6, but there was a crying baby in the next room which we could hear very clearly (luckily it went to bed early...unfortunately it woke up early too!). We did not have an kind of clock in our room and no phone system in the room, so be sure you have a good alarm on your phone.

We will be recommending this place to our family and friends as a self-catering site as they are very well equipped and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The Self-Catering options looked amazing, definitely a better set up as the place is primarily gear...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheSnoozemobile
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The rooms are nice enough, clean and with a microwave and wifi, if a little compact. The breakfast is awful beyond compare, so stick to cereal until they can find a cook. Walking distance from Abingdon town centre which is convenient. Good for business travellers, which I suspect is their mainstay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is a basic B & B ; the room was very clean and it is helpful to have breakfast delivered to your room, but annoyingly, given that you complete a written form when you arrive, they got the order wrong on Day 2.Even in a twin bedroom, there would not be enough room for 2 people to eat the meal comfortably-fortunately I was on my own on this occasion.
My biggest complaint is that I was unable to get any wi-fi reception over the whole week-end, although free wi-fi is featured in their advertising material. The receptionists did their best to sort this out, but in vain. This is a major drawback if there is normally a reception problem in the area and means that I would not return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Lovely location, nice pub nearby, but....
Lots of friendly spiders in the room and artistic cobwebs, plenty off mold in the shower...... but....when this barn was converted no insulation was put in the dividing walls....so every noise made in the bathroom next door could be heard....from unzippingflies 1s and 2s etc......apalling!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank James T
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The first thing I noticed when staying at the cottages are that these are not manned at all hours like most hotels. The staff live offsite and if you arrive after hours (clearly displayed on their website) you will need to call them to check you in. This however was done quickly and without fuss.

The rooms were basic, but covered the majority of needs including having a fridge and microwave to heat up food if you so desired. The place is at least ten minutes walk down a country lane to the nearest pub \ restaurant so having some basics is something I would highly recommend.

The breakfasts did leave something to be desired. If you order the continental breakfast you generally get toast and cereal - which again is not something I would consider continental. That said however the overall experience of the staff and the rooms \ grounds was excellent.

If you want somewhere out of the way, quiet and without too much fuss then this is a place to go. I certainly enjoyed my time there and really enjoyed the tranquility of the place. Sitting out in the garden on an evening with a guitar was something that I rarely get to do at most hotels - so for peace and quiet I would highly recommend this.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I was booked into this accommodation by my company, as I was on a course nearby. It was reasonably easy to find using SatNav and the complex is located on the edge of Abingdon, a pretty town in the Oxfordshire countryside. I hadn't realised that it was not a B&B in the regular sense until I arrived and the place was locked up.

Fortunately I didn't have to wander around the barn in the dark (I arrived late, after 11pm) as once I parked up in the yard, I spotted a fellow traveller having a ciggy and he guided my next steps. He rang the appropriate mobile number to announce my arrival (I later found this number at the reception).

We exchanged pleasantries and it was not long before the couple on duty arrived to show me to my room. I firstly had to book in at the reception and completed a menu sheet. This was a multiple choice tick box menu outlining options that were available and I chose what I would like for breakfast, a full English. There was also cereal and a selection of continental breakfast items. I agreed the time for it to be delivered in the morning.

I was taken to my room (number 1) a small twin room in the corner of the courtyard. It was clean and basic with a slightly damp smell and the room had clearly not been aired in some time. The warm night was ensuring a multitude of midges were around so I chose not to open the window! On balance I made the right decision.

The room also had a fridge and a microwave, alongside the regular essentials. The TV was small but serviceable and wifi a bonus. The shower room with toilet was well proportioned and although the extraction fan was noisy it lasted only about 5 minutes once the light was switched off.

The decor and bedding was a little old fashioned but my sheets were clean and the mattress was comfortable.

Breakfast arrived promptly in the morning, on a tray and piping hot. The coffee was fresh but the cafetiere was old and didn't filter the coffee grounds effectively. The small table was not really suitable for eating at but it was a decent breakfast and I enjoyed it!

I know that there was a pool but I didn't get chance to find or use it. I wasn't given a plan of the complex and didn't have the inclination to wander around to find it when I had no swimming costume with me anyway.

I walked into the town and along the River Thames that evening and vowed to return for a better look at a future date. It looked like a very pleasant area with boats to hire or trips on the river to Oxford, as well as some unusual gift shops, delicatessen and a museum in the centre.

I am not sure what was paid for the 2 nights I stayed but I don't think it was the most suitable accommodation in the area for business purposes. The lack of staff on hand and no central dining area would not be a bonus for most travellers. I understand that a log cabin is being constructed to provide a breakfast area for guests.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ammartini
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
#2 of 12 in Abingdon
Abbey Guest House
Abbey Guest House
#1 of 12 in Abingdon

Been to Kingfisher Barn Holiday Cottages? Share your experiences!