“My favourite Pub!”

Ranked #3 of 12 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“My favourite Pub!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I used to live in Abingdon so visited often but now live further away so don't get back as often as I'd like.

I took the opportunity to stay here a while ago and was very impressed with the quality of the room. I had room 2.

Due to this being an old building the rooms have lots of character and can be on different levels but the quality of the room was in my view excellent. Location-wise you are in an ideal place to access the town and all it has to offer. Restaurants are 2 minutes away if that on foot, and the food here is a good reason not to venture far. Sunday lunch is excellent and popular so book early. The Beef and Horseradish sarny is also a favourite. The wife loves the Fish Finger Butty!! Parking at the pub can be limited depending on what time you arrive but Abingdon has 3 car parks that I can recall; two of which are a 3 to 4 minute walk and the multi storey car park is maybe 5 to 6 minutes away on foot. The car park on West St. Helens Street is an easy walk via Coopers Lane which runs through the town house and apartment development behind the pub. For the beer loving historians amongst you this is where the Morlands Brewery used to be and some of those buildings are still there; converted for living space.

Abingdon is built on the river Thames and 5 minutes will get you there with some lovely riverside walks. If you take Coopers Lane you will end up a stone's throw from St. Helen's church; a church has been on this site for over 1000 years. Abingdon is one town that claims the title of the oldest continuously populated settlements in Britain, at least 6000 years. Check Wikipedia info at http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abingdon,_Oxfordshire

The pub itself is lovely; a real fire for those winter evenings and lovely wood, stone and brick decor. The juke box always has an excellent mix and the bar has just about everything you could want; the standard beers plus quest ales on top of the usual optics and mixers. My liver would testify to the fact that I've never been short of options (not big or clever I know :-). I've put 4 out of 5 for value because there are cheaper pubs in town but going elsewhere always tends to be a stop on the way to the 'Tap because this is the best in my honest opinion, and has been for a long time!

I could wax lyrical for ages but I'll finish on the fact that I love this pub for all of the above but mainly the people. Matt and JD are the best people you could meet and the staff are a happy, good looking bunch. The regular punters are also friendly and I completely understand why the Brewery Tap is a little community in itself. The theme to "Cheers" is now running through my mind!!

A must visit if you're coming to Abingdon!!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Thank you all for a great Sunday lunch.I took my wife and Mum out for lunch here on the recommendation of a local, and we were not disappointed.Food and service where first class and I would recomend a visit if you are in the area

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stumbled across this lovely pub with a group of 12 friends and we had an incredible lunch and drinks.

The chips were the best I've had in the UK and the lovely staff made us feel welcome.
They even went out and bought tomato juice so that we could have bloody Mary's.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Becadams
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed last night at the Brewery Tap and it was a good stay. I was made to feel welcome and shown to a really nice room. The bar itself was great and the one beer I tried (I had work to do, unfortunately) was great. I was surprised the bar didn't do full meals, so had to eat out. No issue in a nice town like Abingdon though.

Breakfast and check out was a little annoying though; I realised it was a small area with a help yourself continental buffet. The coffee machine didn't work though (it was really watery) and there was no one around to speak to around this. I had to go into town and get a coffee from a coffee shop. There was also no one to give the key to, so I had to just post it through the front door.

I'd stay again, breakfast and leaving was just a little disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Manchesterd
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here last night visiting family and can't fault in anyway. Usually stay at the Crown and Thistle but as it is being refurbished, we had to find somewhere new - and what a find!!!! Beautiful rooms an although you don't get the full English you get at the Crown and Thistle, the spread put on for the buffet breakfast was unbelievable. Room cost us £88 and I don't know how they do it. It must be because they don't have to pay staff. Everything was laid out in a little area outside our room and we helped ourselves to anything from tea/coffee to bottled water, croissants, cheese, ham, fruit even Marmite (if you like that sort of thing!!!). We didn't have to pay a deposit just paid on arrival and we booked weeks ago.

Although it was quite loud from downstairs when we went to bed, this wasn't going on all night until silly o`clock and after a few scoops anyway we didn't notice. A nice touch were the ear plugs in the drawer but honestly, these weren't needed.

Will certainly be recommending and would visit again.

1 Thank helgeddaN
Reviewed 12 July 2013

It's rare that you find a place that you would recommend without hesitation. This is one if those rare places.

The Brewery Tap is consistently good. I've never received poor service once in the years I have been visiting, and the drinks, food, service and accommodation are exceptional and certainly worthy of the price.

While the pricing may be a bit steep, you do get good value for what you are paying. There are plenty of lower priced places around, but it still remains the busiest and friendliest place in Abingdon to visit.

The place is a credit to the family who run it, and who have a long history of being publicans and local business leaders.

Try everything, and if something isn't quite right, mention it.

You shouldn't leave here disappointed.

ROTHERHAM
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Went for Sunday Lunch.Lunch arrived with meat on the plate swimming in a glutinous mess described as gravy-i use the term advisedly)
When asked by the very pleasant waitress if everything was OK i remarked that it would have been nice to have the gravy in a gravy boat and then customers could put on as much as they want(or not)she said she would tell the chef.
When she returned i asked what the chef had said she shrugged her shoulders and said he had said nothing.
Our first and last visit to the Brewery Tap. Unless you like meals swimming in a mess do not go.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JANET P
Matthew H, Owner at The Brewery Tap, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Janet,

My family and I have spent nearly twenty years trying to make The Brewery Tap the best pub in the area and a big part of our effort is to listen to our customers. We were quite upset to read about your poor Sunday roast experience on Trip Advisor and we all wanted to convey to you our apologies.

Almost all of our customers seem to prefer lashings of gravy poured directly over the lunch but in reaction to your comments, we've added to the menu that customers may have the gravy served on the side if they wish.

Regarding the consistency and flavour of our gravy (beef and lamb varieties) we usually get great comments. It takes us two days to prepare, roasting the marrow bones and reducing the stock, but appreciate it might be a little too rich or thick for everyone's tastes. We do offer a lighter vegetarian gravy that might suit better, or the lighter pork gravy?

Lastly, I can assure you that Charlotte did let the chef know your comments but not until after service was closed and she should not have led you to believe that she was going to bring it to his attention during service.

I hope you find these further comments and our reactions suitable and it would be a pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Regards,

Matthew Heritage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Crown & Thistle
Milton Hill, Abingdon
Milton Hill, Abingdon
#1 of 1 in Steventon
Travelodge Oxford Abingdon Road Hotel

Been to The Brewery Tap? Share your experiences!