“Worst Premier Inn I`ve stayed at..... so far”

Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Not impressed with this one. I stay at a fair few Premier Inn hotels as I travel a lot for work. As there are generally more Premier Inn hotels knocking around, there is usually one fairly close to wherever I`m working.

Just lately though, I find myself looking further afield for the likes of Holiday Inn..... Abingdon Prem Inn is a fine example of why this is happening.

The Room....
Not impressed. Looking tired and in need of refurbishment. Bed unusually uncomfortable (Premier Inn beds are generally all pretty comfy). Not very clean either.

The Restaurant....
I initially had booked this room based on the fact that it had a Beefeater Grill pub.... I love em, grew up on family trips to local Beefeater`s! Sadly though, this place clearly struggles. They clearly must have a high turnover of staff as there was only one person who looked like they knew what they were doing (Gemma I think her name was ;)).

I sat sort of mid room with my back to the wall and just watched the chaos ensue. It was almost comical at times and kind of helped pass the time. In particular, one greasy looking guy running around serving food to people..... He didn`t have a clue which table was which, even to the point of asking people "Are you table ....?". One woman clearly had enough of this every time he came in and suddenly piped up "How would we know what table we are.... there`s no bloody numbers!!". The person named above (Gemma) was trying to keep order but clearly had no support from other staff or management. The food was actually pretty good to be honest. I had a lamb rump steak.... asked for it rare... it came rare... it was bang tidy. The bar staff were equally unqualified for the job.

The Breakfast......
I was almost dreading going down for breakfast..... and I was right to! What an absolute S%*t hole.... there had been no, and I mean NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, cleaning done since the night before.... the floor was covered in bits of food and debris, the tables were sticky and dirty. Having found an almost clean table, I noticed that instead of the usual hot buffet style breakfast as in all the other Premier Inns I`ve stayed at, it was waiter service instead... a sign of things to come I thought?? Having "Waited" for some time for both the "Waiter" and moreover, my breakfast, first impressions were good..... until I spotted a mosquito cooked into the white of my egg... Jurassic Park style.

Won`t be staying here again!

Room Tip: Any room NOT at this hotel would be great
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank James_hancock
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We were welcomed by friendly staff at the hotel. The room was big and spotlessly clean. As it was hot the fan was left on when we arrived, we were able to keep the room cool during the night. Such a disappointment with the breakfast at the Ock Mill Beefeater Restaurant. We couldn't make out who were staff or customers as uniforms were not worn. We were left waiting for more than 1/2 hour for our cooked breakfast without an apology or being informed why there was such a delay. We had breakfast at the nearby McDonalds the next morning which was much cheaper and faster. The staff in the restaurant came over as unapproachable and unfriendly. When we mentioned this to Emma, the receptionist at the hotel she was very apologetic and offered us a refund for the breakfast. Emma also sorted our tv promptly when there was a problem with the switch. We were impressed by the way Emma dealt with us. I'm sure that the hotel will miss her when she leaves in 2 weeks time to study at Uni.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

A pleasant hotel, staff very attentive, as well as helpful. The rooms are well furnished, flat screen TV's, all rooms have king size beds, though the matteress was too firm for my liking, as I am used to a water bed!
Overall I would stay there again, booking well in advance and rooms are only £29!

Room Tip: No lifts available to second floor, so any walking disability be sure to ask for ground floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Lovely location and a lovely pemimer inn. Aingdon is a lovely town on the river ock and has a lovely riverside setting and park where the children can play and splash about in the sprinlgers in the summer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel, and although the bar/restaurant disappointed the Premier Inn was in our opinion very good. Upon arrival we were greeted by Sophie on reception. We found Sophie very helpful and exceptionally friendly, we were checked in efficiently and advised about rooms being hot and offered a fan which was very pleasing. This friendly, helpful approach from the staff on reception we found continued throughout our stay. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the Ock Mill restaurant, next to the hotel which we used for breakfasts and dinners. The staff were rushed off of their feet making service poor, in particular we found a bald headed man (think management staff) rude to staff which was also extended to guets. 100% recommend the Premier Inn but would not recommend the Ock Mill for meals which is unfortunate as this lets the hotel down.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank alanandsue447
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Just what you expect from a premier inn.
We had a room on the top floor of this converted mill
It was a good size and well equipped
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful
We used the Beefeater next door the menu was varied and the food good
The hotel is a short walk from Abingdon centre with its pubs,tea shops and riverside walks

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mac M
AbingdonPI, Front Office Manager at Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Good evening, thank you for taking the time to review your stay,

I’m glad to read that everything was as you expect, with a spacious room that had everything you needed.
I’m pleased that you also found the staff to be friendly and the restaurant to be good with a varied menu.

As you say we are just a 15-minute walk from the town centre and the Thames river which is lovely to visit on a sunny day.

Many thanks again for your review; we hope to see you again,

Gemma Corney
Oxford Cluster

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed here for one night while walking the Thames path, and found it a very comfortable,friendly place. The room was very clean, spacious and quiet. We ate in the Beefeater next door, which was very convenient and the food & drink were very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Good evening, thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us,

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the rooms to be spacious and comfortable, and the staff to be friendly. I’m glad that you also found your meal in the restaurant to be very good.

Many thanks again for your review, we hope to see you again.

Gemma Corney
Oxford Cluster

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
The Cosener's House
The Cosener's House
#5 of 5 in Abingdon
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel

Been to Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!