“Rooms a bit too warm - otherwise fine”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
London, England, United Kingdom
“Rooms a bit too warm - otherwise fine”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Basically what you would expect from a generic budget stop-over - bathroom was good with a nice powerful shower, breakfast was average but service was good - room itself was on the overheated side, however, with a very firm mattress and a very thick, heavy duvet which was synthetic in feel. Woke sweating on several occasions, so not exactly the good night's sleep they guarantee...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Andover, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,390 helpful votes
Reviewed 20 October 2013

For its location, not far off the A34, and in Abingdon itself, you would expect it to be noisy but it isn't, it's lovely and quiet.

The rooms are quite basic but mine was spotlessly clean and perfectly functional.

I have never managed to find a Premier Inn for the "headline rate" of £29 that appears all over the place. I paid over £70.

Unfortunately I got called away so didn't get a chance to try the conveniently located pub next door.

In common with every Premier Inn I have stayed at, staff are extremely friendly and eager to please.

If I am in that area again, it is the hotel I will stay at.

Room Tip: Ground floor room with a low number meant I had a view away from the road so was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KMR139
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Hotel staff very good,however the hotet is in need of a total refurbishment . The resturant next door is run by staff who have no people skills what so ever ,waited over ten minutes at the bar was told by the she was going home !!!!!!!!. Also food very poor and over priced ,breakfast staff were much better and a credit to the resturant ...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Arrived at hotel at about 11pm. Tried to check in and were having issues with card machine. Could not pay by card was not allowed to gain access to room despite being booked in for 2 nights so surely could have made payment later/next morning.

Room:
This was a bizarre L shape reasonable aged and getting to the point it needed a refurb. Poor layout as plug socket was around 8 foot from the bed.

Cleanliness:
Walls scuffed throughout and found a pubic hair in the bath upon arrival. Also but the do not disturb sign on the door but the cleaner paid as much attention to this as the pubic hair in the bath.

Bed:
Found the matress hard and lumpy.

Bar:
As most people seem to have commented, staff and cleanliness leave a lot to be desired. For example tables were only cleared when people had left. I asked at 10pm if coffee was available. I was told yes so I ordered a latte only to be told that I couldn't have one as the machine was on clean.

Spent a 3rd night in didcot premier inn this was much better and more the standard I have been used to.

• Stayed October 2013
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Staff are helpful and friendly. Rooms are excellent for the price. Genrally quiet and comfortable.
Some problems with rooms getting too hot but resolved quickly.
The beefeater next door is a badly managed, below average pub/restaurant.
Wouldn't eat or sit there if I was paid for the suffering.

Sussex
Reviewed 23 September 2013

As I've put in previous reviews. You always know what to expect from Premier Inn and Abingdon was no exception.

They are so reasonably priced, and I always consider them when looking for one nights accommodation, where I only need a base.

As with all Premier Inns the hotels are quite characterless, but they are perfect as a base.

Rooms always comfortable and clean. We had a really spacious room which was great.

I stayed here when attending a wedding locally (stayed with a friend.)

Lots of parking, didn't appear to be much more around- taxis quite pricey in area, but we needed to utilise as was going to a wedding in a neighbouring village.

Only disappointment was that we could not get breakfast. We hadn't pre-booked breakfast, but went to the adjoining Beefeater, but were told that they had a big group in so could not accommodate us for at least 90 minutes. We ended up walking own road and had McDonalds breakfast, but would have liked to have known that there was 1.5hrs of the morning that they could not accommodate breakfast guests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Not impressed with this one. I stay at a fair few Premier Inn hotels as I travel a lot for work. As there are generally more Premier Inn hotels knocking around, there is usually one fairly close to wherever I`m working.

Just lately though, I find myself looking further afield for the likes of Holiday Inn..... Abingdon Prem Inn is a fine example of why this is happening.

The Room....
Not impressed. Looking tired and in need of refurbishment. Bed unusually uncomfortable (Premier Inn beds are generally all pretty comfy). Not very clean either.

The Restaurant....
I initially had booked this room based on the fact that it had a Beefeater Grill pub.... I love em, grew up on family trips to local Beefeater`s! Sadly though, this place clearly struggles. They clearly must have a high turnover of staff as there was only one person who looked like they knew what they were doing (Gemma I think her name was ;)).

I sat sort of mid room with my back to the wall and just watched the chaos ensue. It was almost comical at times and kind of helped pass the time. In particular, one greasy looking guy running around serving food to people..... He didn`t have a clue which table was which, even to the point of asking people "Are you table ....?". One woman clearly had enough of this every time he came in and suddenly piped up "How would we know what table we are.... there`s no bloody numbers!!". The person named above (Gemma) was trying to keep order but clearly had no support from other staff or management. The food was actually pretty good to be honest. I had a lamb rump steak.... asked for it rare... it came rare... it was bang tidy. The bar staff were equally unqualified for the job.

The Breakfast......
I was almost dreading going down for breakfast..... and I was right to! What an absolute S%*t hole.... there had been no, and I mean NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, cleaning done since the night before.... the floor was covered in bits of food and debris, the tables were sticky and dirty. Having found an almost clean table, I noticed that instead of the usual hot buffet style breakfast as in all the other Premier Inns I`ve stayed at, it was waiter service instead... a sign of things to come I thought?? Having "Waited" for some time for both the "Waiter" and moreover, my breakfast, first impressions were good..... until I spotted a mosquito cooked into the white of my egg... Jurassic Park style.

Won`t be staying here again!

Room Tip: Any room NOT at this hotel would be great
2 Thank James_hancock
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Milton Hill, Abingdon
Milton Hill, Abingdon
#1 of 1 in Steventon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,061 reviews

Been to Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!