“Good accommodation - great pub - recommended”

Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Brisbane
“Good accommodation - great pub - recommended”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

A quality budget hotel chain. Friendly reception staff. We stayed in room 19 and paid GBP58.

We had to lug our luggage up a flight of stairs to get to our room - no lifts.

Room was very clean and comfortable, loads of space and the colour purple certainly lightened the room.

Parking was fine and it was full by early evening.

Recommend the Ock Mill Beefeater restaurant located next door. We enjoyed an Aussie wine with a New Zealand Rack of Lamb.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brissy2
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2009
Thanks for your feedback. At Premier Inn we endeavour to offer the best value quality stay. All feedback both positive and negative is investigated and acted upon to ensure we are offering our customers the best possible service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

Picture this: it's early November and I'm on the Premier Inn's web site booking a room in their Abingdon hotel for my wife, her sister and me for four nights in December. It's our first trip to the UK and we're excited! From what we were told, the Premier Inn's not too bad, and there's a pub (Ock Mill) attached. Perfect ... right? Not so fast.

The Premier Inn's web site wouldn't allow me to book a room for three adults - it only allowed for two adults and one child 16 and under - so I sent off an e-mail "enquiry" through the web site to ask why, and to see whether I can book a room for three adults. A day later, someone at the Premier Inn replied and said to simply book the room as having two adults and one child, but to be sure I book the larger room to ensure there are two beds in the room. OK, cool. Done.

At this point, I didn't think I needed to print out this specific reply, since (at least here in the USA) we usually trust these types of replies as being truthful. Ohhh, silly me.

OK ... fast forward to 12/18. My wife, her sister and I arrive at the front desk of the Premier Inn Abingdon at 1pm after a 7-hour flight, three hours in Heathrow (don't ask) and an hour-long bus ride. We realize that check-in isn't until 2pm, but we politely ask Sue, the receptionist, if it might be possible for us to check in an hour early ...... NO. That's it, NO. Hmmm, OK. Welcome to the UK! We said we'd have to come back, at which point Sue offered to put our bags in someone's room for an hour (huh, what?!) but we declined. She then said we could check in anyway, even though they wouldn't offer us a room just yet. Strange, but since we were pretty travel weary, we said what the heck.

Upon check-in, I hand Sue our e-mail confirmation. She flatly informs me that we cannot have three adults in our room and we'd have to pony up anouther 247 pounds (about $375 US) to book another room. I try to assure her that someone from the Premier Inn e-mailed me and told me I could, and even advised me how to do it, but Sue refuses to believe me and keeps telling me that we can't do this. We ask for a manager and, after 10 minutes, Sue decides to tell us that "Andy" is aware of our situation but will not meet with us because he's serving a party of 60 in the Ock Mill Pub. Huhhhhhh? Trust me - it gets better.

15 minutes later, a guy walks past us, goes behind the desk and "confers" with Sue and another woman for about 10 minutes. When they are done, he stands up and says "sorry, we can't allow this." I ask to see Andy at once, and - I'm not making this up - he says I AM ANDY! Holy you-know-what, we were blown away. Here's the manager ... walks past us, doesn't introduce himself or offer any assistance of any kind, won't negotiate or even try to accommodate us in any way ... just says NO.

This was the worst case of "customer service" we have ever experienced, HANDS-DOWN, in the US or anywhere else. We were shocked, appalled, and disgusted at Sue and Andy and the lack of respect, trust, or appreciation they showed us - THEIR CUSTOMERS - for the hour plus we were there. No excuse.

The beds were comfy, the bathroom was clean, and the maid service was decent. The instant coffee was awful, the customer "service" was worse ... so I suggest that you stay clear away from this Inn.

• Liked — The rooms had beds
  • Disliked — The level of
  • Stayed December 2008
2 Thank GuagBall
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

As Premier Inns go this one is one of the older ones, the property is in a good state of repair and the rooms are a good standard and compare well with other property's in this chain of hotels.

The car park is a good size although some of it is the other side of the pub the `Ock Inn' which is attached to the hotel.

Some rooms particularly at the back of the property dont get 3G coverage if you use your own 3G stick for internet access at the point of booking ask for a front room if possible!

There are some nice pubs within 5 to 10 min walking distance into Abingdon aswell as the attached Beefeater pub which serves the chains standard menu, must say the meals here were better than Didcot Premier Inn, the pub is recently refurb'd and in good condition.

There's a MacD's over the road if your desperate for a breakfast bagel or the Ock Inn serves the standard Prem Inn breaky and if your desperate for something you forgot to bring with you there's a Tesco at the roundabout between the hotel and the A34 (hotel is only 2 min from A34 by car)

Overall its perfectly serviceable and is better located and in a better position for doing something other than staying in your room than the nearby Didcot one.

Phil

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — You wouldnt send a postcard home about it but theres nothing wrong with it!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PhilRobertsLeeds
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2008

Stayed here recently whilst in the area on business. The hotel room was clean and comfortable, with a comfortable bed. The adjoining Beefeater offers breakfast for Premier Inn guests, but too be honest, you'd be as well skipping this, and finding breakfast elsewhere in Abingdon, as it's not too great, and is expensive.

The staff at the hotel were friendly and welcoming, however, I was slightly miffed when I couldn't buy an internet access card from reception as they'd sold out. Fortunately I was able to buy it online with my credit card, otherwise I'd have been a bit stuffed!

I recently stayed in the Four Pillars Abingdon which is about 5 minutes down the road from the Premier Inn, and I have to say that it was probably one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in; dirty, smelly and noisy. The Premier Inn was none of these.

If in future I'm staying in Abingdon, I'll try my best to get the Premier Inn, and avoid the Four Pillars at all costs. The Premier Inn is what you expect of a large budget hotel chain - cheap, cheerful, clean and comfortable. If you don't expect anymore, then you won't be disappointed, if you have ideas of grandeur, then you will be!

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Breakfast at the adjoining restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lpaterson
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2006

My sister and I booked 2 nights in a twin room (which, as the name suggests, is a room with 2 identical twin beds in it). We arrived at 10:30 at night, tired after travelling, and just wanted to go to sleep. Our room was large, however we were surprised to find a double bed and a sofa which had the cusions on the back removed and what looked like a mattress plonked on top of it. The MDF sofa back was covered in ripped brown material. To me, this room was a family room (although I'm not sure I'd want any kid of mine sleeping on a not so clean sofa bed). Then I noticed the carpet. It looked like it hadn't seen a hoover in weeks. It was covered in fluff and dust. After checking the bathroom, which looked very clean, and the sheets, which were fresh, I went down to reception to ask to be moved to a real twin room. I was informed by the very polite and helpful receptionist that all twin rooms within this particular Premier Travel Inn are in the double bed/sofa bed configuration. I complained about the state of the carpet and the receptionist showed me the only other available twin room so that I could decide if I wanted to change room or not. This new room had a clean carpet but was rather cramped compared to our original room. We decided to stay with the bigger room and I requested that our room be cleaned thoroughly tomorrow. Meanwhile my sister and I couldn't bring ourselves to walk on the carpet without our shoes on! We decided to sleep in the double bed together as we couldn't face the sofa. The next morning the same receptionist was still working. He sent housekeeping straight up to our room and our breakfast at the beefeater next door was paid for by the Premier Travel Inn for that morning. When we got back to our room our carpet was spotless. We travel to Abingdon a couple of times a year and normally stay in the Four Pillars just up the road. Unfortunately the Four Pillars was fully booked this time, but we'll be planning our trips earlier in future so we can get into the Four Pillars and won't stay in the Premier Travel Lodge again. Having said that I'd just like to add that the 2 receptionist we saw were lovely, polite and helpful and we were very pleased with the service from them.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Milton Hill, Abingdon
Milton Hill, Abingdon
#1 of 1 in Steventon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,050 reviews

Been to Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!