The Crown & Thistle
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Egrove Park(Oxford)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroll top bathcar parkone way systembridal suiteold coaching inncobbled courtyardfree standing bathbar and restaurantfriends weddingair conposter bedseparate showerstand alone batheggs royalerestaurant visitcentral locationfantastic breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect from the newly made-over Crown and Thistle. In its previous incarnation it was a place to avoid, and, as my first visit was the week before Christmas, I wasn't expecting to be impressed.

However, the makeover has made all the difference.

I found it now to be really classy, but also really welcoming. We had a relaxing drink in the bar and then tried out the restaurant. We couldn't have had better service in either: the staff were friendly, helpful and fun.

The portions were a good size but not overwhelming, and the menu choice was varied, even for vegetarians.

I'm so pleased that this venue has been improved. It's a real asset to the town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bluecastle
Reviewed 19 December 2013

After years of being sad and tired this hotel has been restored to its former glory. A high quality finish with plenty of quirky vintage details make for a cosy, welcoming feel. We had lunch in the restaurant and both the food and service were great. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HylB
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Living close to the town centre we thought we would try the new restaurant. We ordered drinks at the restaurant bar and they opened a tab.
Once we were ready the waitress showed us to our table and left us to peruse the menu. The food and drinks arrived promptly and were delicious. The service was good and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. There are obviously some new staff who are finding their feet, but there seems to be enough experience to rapidly sort any problems. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and will return for more.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I attended a Christmas event for around 30 guests in the newly opened Barn.
Without a doubt, the attention to detail was stunning. Beautifully decorated for the festive season, perfect temperature(always an issue when you have lots of guests in party dresses) and a wonderful welcome.from the Crown and Thistle team.
The bubbles were apparantly only house fizz but delicious and the same applied to the house rose. Food was very good, service timed perfectly and a really friendly waitress.
All in all, although a Christmas party is more about the company than the food(or in my opinion anyhow)the Crown and Thistle was the perfect venue for a large group. I can not emphasis enough just how beautiful this renovation is and am already on my third visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed on a thursday night - the first time since the opening of the newly refurbished hotel. My room was small, but very cosy and unique with a generous bathroom. Plumbing was great, TV good, plenty of power points and fast wifi in the bedroom and the restaurant. Chorizo and prawn risotto - a daily special - was well cooked and made a tasty starter, the venison stew was ideal for a winter night and very generous. Overall the menu had a lot of dishes that I wanted to try. For late evening on a Thursday the restaurant had a good buzz, service was very good. There's a separate bar/pub across the courtyard with several drinking areas and open fires looked inviting and I will try it out next time.

Room Tip: All the rooms vary in size so make sure you ask for something to suit your needs.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business