“Great weekend break hotel”

The Crown & Thistle
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Great weekend break hotel”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is just the hotel if you want a nice short break, but don't want the price and hassle of Oxford.

My partner and needed to get away for an impromptu break. Our usual Oxford hotel was fully booked and we came across this by chance and thought we would try. We were not disappointed. It has that charming, shabby chic feel of a Hotel du Vin but 40% cheaper.

We stayed in room 2. I was originally concerned as this overlooks the main road - but the windows were sound proofed and passing traffic didn't disturb us. There was a bit of ambient noise from the pub courtyard, but not excessive (though this might be worse in summer or if there was a wedding party).

The room was great and the bathroom, with free standing roll top bath, was one of the most stylish I have encountered, with good quality towels and nice toiletries. Spotlessly clean with lovely hand chosen furniture and some charming antiques and curios gave thee room a individual / boutique feel. The hotel refurbishment was only completed last year and there were still a few snagging issues, such as the lighting levels - but most of these were already being addressed when I raised them with the receptionist.

I must also mention the staff - both of the receptionists and the guy who served our breakfast were great ambassadors for the hotel; friendly, confident and totally charming. Our breakfast (full English - good quality with good coffee and complimentary newspapers) was also excellent.

Abingdon is a nice town; we have been many times, both as weekend visitors and on our boat whilst holidaying on the Thames. It is a charming, English town, comfortable, at ease with itself and nice for a riverside walk, coffee in the town square, people watching and as a base for visiting Oxford and the Cotswolds, It has a super, family-owned Italian restaurant (Bella Napoli) which I have previously reviewed and where we are now greeted like old friends (even though we only go once or twice a year) where they still sell a traditional 'Filetto al Pepe Verde' for the same price as I pay my local Waitrose to buy a similar piece of meat!

The Crown & Thistle is a great addition - and at £145 for a really nice room, including breakfast, you really cannot go wrong.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ak23566

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I travel to Abingdon quite frequently and the new Crown & Thistle is a gem. Right in the center of the village with a well appointed bar, restaurant, and meeting area. Rooms and the entire facility have been completely renovated and they are first rate. Sort of like a Westin but with more character and charm. And how about this for customer service? I'm staying over the weekend for 2 days halfway through a 10 day business trip to UK and Europe. I need to get same day laundry service on a Saturday, and there are no options nearby, so I'm kind of stuck. The front desk clerk, Kate, volunteers to call around, finds a place a few miles away that will do it, and then offers to drop off my laundry there on her way home from work so I don't have to make a special trip and wait there for 2 hours. Wow. Impressive.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank anonCA
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Finally, a great hotel in the centre of Abingdon that hits all the right notes! The rooms are beautifully decorated with stylish furniture and top quality bedlinens, we loved the Welsh blankets! There were also some great goodies in the bathroom, melt in the mouth handmade biscuits, fresh milk in the fridge and cafetiere - all nice touches!
The service was impeccable, we were all escorted to our rooms and shown around.
Although we didn’t eat in the hotel, we could see that the restaurant was full and everyone seemed to be having a good time.
The breakfast was divine, with lots of choice and the best coffee I have ever tasted. Again the service was impeccable
As regular visitors to Abingdon we will certainly return. My only suggestion to the hotel would be to place a map of parking on your website and also to provide place mats in the rooms for drinks.

Room Tip: If staying on a saturday, ask for a room not facing the Barn, Room 12 was superb!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just discovered this recently renovated Inn, restaurant and pub on my latest business trip. The staff are very friendly and welcoming… making you feel as you are entering their home.

The rooms although a tad dark, are beautifully decorated with modern amenities such as flat screen TVs, Aircon, Wifi, etc.

The full breakfast in the morning was a welcome treat and the dinners are top notch. I will definitely return to this historic, yet modern Inn.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

At the suggestion of a relative who lives in the area we made our booking. From the moment we entered the hotel it was very obvious that we had made the correct decision. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and whilst attentive they were not intrusive. The bedrooms gorgious and recent refurbishments respect the age and history of the hotel but with modern facilities. We did find the lighting in our bedroom too dim to read by, this did not spoil our stay but was a little frustrating.
Our four post bed squeeked at the slightest movement, preventing a solid nights sleep. On mentioning this we were moved to another room when a quick fix could not be made. I know this will have been rectified as a carpenter was booked to sort this.
The surrounding area a true delight, the hotel is a few moments walk from the river and all that Abingdon has to offer. We will be back and not before too long.

Room Tip: All the room we saw were great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martinwizzo1
Winslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Was here on Sunday with my partner and twin boys and again today with my whole family (me, my partner, our 4 childrens nod my in laws) both days the staff were amazing and couldn't do enough for us! They even washed up my babies weaning bowls! Food was great, place was great and staff were great!

• Stayed February 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My partner and I were in the area searching for flats to rent and needed a reasonably priced and centrally located venue to accommodate us for 2 nights mid-week. After reading the reviews online and looking at the pictures, the place seemed like a good chance to take as it was centrally located and comparable in price. We worried a little about the frequent comments about the noise but after checking the hours of operation of the pub/restaurant and seeing that they closed at 11pm during the week, we were confident that it would be tolerable.

I am SO glad we decided to stay! The room was fantastic, very fashionable décor - a little on the small side, but plenty of room to be comfortable - and the bathroom...AMAZING! I literally giggled when I saw how big and deep the bath was! I think I had the taps running before I had even set my bags down! There was a separate standing shower, also lovely and enticing. I enjoyed 2 showers a day while we were there just because the bathroom suite was so luxurious! The room had its own high tech climate control and lighting was rigged to come on when you slid your keycard into a slot on the wall (and automatically switched off when you removed it, so no leaving extra lights on when you leave - very energy efficient!). We did have a room (Room 1) which faced out on the street, but there was not much traffic after about 9 or 10pm. The only real noise disturbance we suffered was from the drayman delivering the stock to the bar at 7am. They rolled the kegs across the cobbles and it was hard to sleep through, however, we were not there for a holiday anyway, so we were not too bothered about not getting to have a lie in. I would imagine that if you were to stay on a weekend you might have the opposite happen: noise disturbance later into the night from patrons but less early morning disturbance as the stock will not be being delivered.

The breakfast was fantastic both days! You were encouraged to have whatever you liked from the menu and I think they would have brought you as much as you wanted too! Though the breakfasts were huge so no chance for more! Staff were very helpful and as friendly as you could hope for. I struggle to find anything negative to say really, and would both highly recommend and gladly stay again!

Room Tip: Room 1 was pretty cozy, but there was a plan on the wall of the other rooms and they looked much lar...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel
Milton Hill, Abingdon
Milton Hill, Abingdon
#1 of 1 in Steventon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,060 reviews

Been to The Crown & Thistle? Share your experiences!