This is just the hotel if you want a nice short break, but don't want the price and hassle of Oxford.
My partner and needed to get away for an impromptu break. Our usual Oxford hotel was fully booked and we came across this by chance and thought we would try. We were not disappointed. It has that charming, shabby chic feel of a Hotel du Vin but 40% cheaper.
We stayed in room 2. I was originally concerned as this overlooks the main road - but the windows were sound proofed and passing traffic didn't disturb us. There was a bit of ambient noise from the pub courtyard, but not excessive (though this might be worse in summer or if there was a wedding party).
The room was great and the bathroom, with free standing roll top bath, was one of the most stylish I have encountered, with good quality towels and nice toiletries. Spotlessly clean with lovely hand chosen furniture and some charming antiques and curios gave thee room a individual / boutique feel. The hotel refurbishment was only completed last year and there were still a few snagging issues, such as the lighting levels - but most of these were already being addressed when I raised them with the receptionist.
I must also mention the staff - both of the receptionists and the guy who served our breakfast were great ambassadors for the hotel; friendly, confident and totally charming. Our breakfast (full English - good quality with good coffee and complimentary newspapers) was also excellent.
Abingdon is a nice town; we have been many times, both as weekend visitors and on our boat whilst holidaying on the Thames. It is a charming, English town, comfortable, at ease with itself and nice for a riverside walk, coffee in the town square, people watching and as a base for visiting Oxford and the Cotswolds, It has a super, family-owned Italian restaurant (Bella Napoli) which I have previously reviewed and where we are now greeted like old friends (even though we only go once or twice a year) where they still sell a traditional 'Filetto al Pepe Verde' for the same price as I pay my local Waitrose to buy a similar piece of meat!
The Crown & Thistle is a great addition - and at £145 for a really nice room, including breakfast, you really cannot go wrong.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crown & Thistle has benefited from a £1.8m refurbishment and is a stunning restaurant, bar and rooms with character and elegance.Serving quality food and drink all day every day, from breakfast through to lunch and dinner, as well as a range of coffees, fine wines, cocktails, local real ales and international lagers, it is the perfect place to relax in comfortable surroundings.There are 18 beautiful en-suite bedrooms with luxury features and finishings, and a stunning function room, The Barn, for private celebrations, weddings and functions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Priceline, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your The Crown & Thistle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crown And Thistle Hotel Abingdon
- Crown And Thistle Abingdon
- The Crown & Thistle Abingdon, Oxfordshire