“Business stay - 11/6/14”

The Crown & Thistle
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Upon checking in I was greeted by two very friendly staff who seemed delighted to see me. After checking in I was shown to my room by a very helpful young lady (who's name I didn't get) and told about the hotel, my room and the surrounding area.
The hotel is in a cracking location with great, clean rooms and all in all I was very pleased. I look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank grabers13
Crown_Thistle, General Manager at The Crown & Thistle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi Grabers,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be joining us again!

The Crown and Thistle Team

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had Sunday lunch with my husband, children 18, 16 and 13 and they are all fussy eaters. We were made to feel extremely welcome and nothing was ever a problem. Beautiful surroundings and atmosphere. Perfect and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is an impressive building, you can't miss it as you drive along Bridge Street (A415)
Access to the Car Park is not at the Hotels GPS Location but around the back of the Hotel. we used the GPS Location of the Guild Hall to find the Car Park entrance.
Hotel was comfortable, reasonably clean and the staff were polite and helpful.
Restaurant experience was slightly disappointing as the waitress didn't have sufficient English to explain the menu options.
Breakfast was adequate and delivered promptly.

Room Tip: The front of the Building is flood lit and although the curtains are adequate the light does get int...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank JNSWLS
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I went to the restaurant here with a group of friends and thought the refurbishment was lovely, I liked the garden area and the indoor seating. The waiters were attentive and friendly, the food was fine, by this I mean it was reasonable value and tasty enough but I would not rave about it. However I would be very happy to return and there are plenty of interesting choices on the menu. The only thing that let down the evening was the Eton Mess which appeared to be without meringue, and although pleasant was mainly cream which I was then cross with myself for eating.

2  Thank bar1234
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I came to the Crown & Thistle after having been away from Abingdon for two years, and boy was I surprised!! The renovation is breathtaking, and has breathed a new, classy lease of life into what was an aging pub before. It's not lost it's appeal to the locals, which can often happen when bars & restaurants become more upmarket, but there's definitely an air of class in there now. The building is stunning, the staff were fantastic both times I've been in, the food looked DELICIOUS (I didn't have time to eat!) and having seen the hotel rooms, I cannot wait until I get an opportunity to stay there as they look beautiful! Thank you C&T, I'll definitely be back!

1  Thank Hanna_Phelan
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We started a long weekend with a first night stay at this lovely little hotel, and we didn't want to leave! Fabulous rooms, each decorated differently - all my friends commented on the roll top baths! The atmosphere in the bar and courtyard in the evening was lovely and dining was a treat too, with Cian, Romy and the team looking after us brilliantly. The breakfast was well cooked with a huge choice brought to us swiftly considering we were a table of 8. We couldn't have wished for more - thank you to every one!

1  Thank BBoarGeneralManager
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed here with some friends over the weekend, and will definitely be coming back! The place has a lovely atmosphere, with an inviting bar, a courtyard that looked so pretty with its fairy lights, and an intriguing rabbit warren of corridors leading to the rooms. The rooms are perfect - everything has been thought of, and all the little touches are here to make the stay special.

Breakfast was excellent, with smaller portions available for the less ambitious, and a great selection of interesting choices if you fancy something a little different.

Cian and all the other staff could not have been more helpful. Thank so much - it was the perfect start to our weekend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
#1 of 1 in Steventon
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorchester-on-Thames

Been to The Crown & Thistle? Share your experiences!