“Very bad experience”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
S. Howard Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 12 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2008

I was extremely disappointed with this B&B.

Arrived at the specific time we were told to check in and there was a note on the door informing us to call a number or go to another address. After meeting with the member of staff we were shown our room. Shoes had to be taken off before walking on the carpet!

Rooms were an average size, bathrooms were along the corridor.

During the night I woke to burning sensations down my arms which made me jump out of bed. I soon noticed that I had bumps all down both arms which looked like bites. I was unable to sleep for the rest of that night.

In the morning I went to speak to a member of staff and informed her of the situation. I showed them my arms which my this stage were inflamed and very soar. The lady informed me that she had some cream and thought that I would be happy with that! I explained that I was unable to sleep there and counted about 25 bites down each arm which seemed to be getting more inflamed. I expressed that I felt that I was bitten by something in the pillow as I slept with my arms up on the pillow and the rest of my body was fine.

I was asked "what would you like me to do" and I asked for a refund on the room. The member of staff went to discuss this with the manager. She returned to inform me that they would refund me £5, which I found very insulting. After some negotiation I got £20 off!!! Still an insult. I was than informed that the manager was very angry and would not speak to us direct due to this!

As I was leaving the B&B the member of staff asked her colleague to place the pillow in the sun! I suggested it should be boil washed which they did not seem to comprehend!

I ended up in A&E due to the bites as they gave me an allergic reaction and still have scars 2 weeks later. Would never stay again!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Kav40

Reviewed 26 May 2008

Some confusion when we arrived as the accommodation is spread out over a number of houses on East St Helen Street. We went to the first one we reached on the way from the public car park (there is no offstreet parking available) and were slightly worried that the woman there had not heard of us. She checked with the owner and it transpired we were due a few doors down.

Upon arrival at the correct house, we were met with the next surprise: shoes off before you go upstairs! OK, not a major inconvenience but somewhat unusual. We were shown to our room, which was huge and entirely wood-panelled. The bathroom was also enormous and well-
appointed. However, it took me a while to realise that the presence of tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge on one side of the bathroom was actually rather disconcerting, and probably contravenes health and safety!

I'm glad we weren't travelling with any valuables, as the room could not be locked from outside - it really is like staying in someone's house. There is a small bolt on the inside, which we decided to use when we went to bed that night.

We were told that breakfast was served between the very specific times of 7:30 and 8:00 and set our alarm accordingly. Then woke to a note that had been pushed under the door asking us if we could come down slightly later, at the very precise time of 7:55.

The owners are very friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was good, so all in all, despite its quirkiness, I have no real complaints. But if you are planning on staying here, this is more like staying at someone's house - there are polite requests to let the owners know immediately if you spill anything on the carpets and to use the downstairs loo at night, as the plumbing is rather noisy. If you're looking for an anonymous place to rest your head for the night, this is probably not the place for you!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank sylvworld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Crown & Thistle
Malmaison Oxford Castle
The Brewery Tap
The Brewery Tap
#2 of 12 in Abingdon

Been to S. Howard Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!